PDA

View Full Version : Look Keo Pedals

Ninabike
08-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi there girls. Anybody out there riding Keos? I'm thinking about putting these on my bike. I have older style Looks now and thought I would stay with the general type of pedal I'm used to. I also thought about Speedplays, but I like the idea of a little larger platform (like when I may want to ride with one foot clipped out in certain situations and can can of "rest" foot on top of pedal), or for longer distances. I appreciate your comments.

Nina

Trekhawk
08-16-2005, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Nina R. Messina]Hi there girls. Anybody out there riding Keos?

Hey Nina
Are you still looking at the Keos or maybe purchased some already?

Sorry I only saw this post today but my husband has keos and he loves them the only thing he thought might be an issue for some is that they are entry on one side only. If this is not an issue for you (it would be for me but Im a bit of a clutz ) then I say go for it. The LBS say they are the most popular pedal at the moment.

Ninabike
08-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Hi Trekhawk,

Thanks for the reply. I have decided on the Keos. One-sided entry is not a problem for me as that's what I have now. My husband and I are both getting new bikes and we have decided on the Keos. The web site for Look has an interesting comparison on the amount of contact area for each similar type of pedal and Keo has the greatest contact area. I'll let you know how I (we) like them.

SadieKate
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Nina, I was just down at my LBS talking to them about Looks. I need to start replacing the old Look pedals on my bikes (yes, I have several). They said that they've had great performance out of the Keos plus they think that Look will be phasing out the traditional pedals and cleats. Since Keos use a different cleat than other Look pedals I had resisted but I thought this was a good point to consider.

Ninabike
08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Sadiekate,

I also had understood that Keos had different cleats. On the Look web site, they actually show an "overlay" of the old and new cleats - a very slight difference, but enough so that the two would not be interchangable. I can't wait to try them!!

Nina

SadieKate
08-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Please let me know what you think. I'm so glad I talked to the shop and they mentioned to potential phase out. I'm going to take a different approach to replacing my pedals so I'm seriously considering the Keos.

Ninabike
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Will do.

Hopefully, by this time next week I should have the new pedals and will "report".

CorsairMac
08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm going to be reading your report with interest also - I have a good friend who rides Look pedals and I'm seriously thinking about switching. I like the fact that the pedal has a bigger foot base - if that makes any sense??

SadieKate
08-17-2005, 02:14 PM
bigger foot base -- if that makes any sense??Yes, it does. The platform of the pedal is the largest of the clipless. It supports your foot very well.

Ninabike
08-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Hi there girls,

Got my Keo pedals yesterday. They're great!!, lighter and smaller than my old Looks. The toe section is a little smaller than the older Looks, but I had no trouble at all getting used to them. I did about 18 miles on them last night. One thing I learned: the amount of float is in the cleats, not the pedals. The red cleats have the most float (I can't remember exactly but think about 9 or 10 degrees; the grey ones (which I got) have 4 to 6 degrees, and the black ones have no float. No complaints so far!!

CorsairMac
08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
no problems clipping in and out???...........I had heard that women had problems with unclipping in Looks! (ya know...the old "they say" thing! LOL)

Ninabike
08-24-2005, 11:23 AM
I had no problems clipping in or out on the Keos, but I didn't have any problems with the older Looks either. You can adjust the tension on the pedals and having less float also helps with unclipping. By the same token, I've never used anything other than Looks so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'm actually thinking of putting mtn. bike pedals on my old bike and getting Sidi Dominator shoes for that bike. I want to get whatever pedals are the closest to Looks just because I'm used to them (don't want to get confused when I go between bikes).

SadieKate
08-25-2005, 08:11 AM
One thing I learned: the amount of float is in the cleats, not the pedals. The red cleats have the most float (I can't remember exactly but think about 9 or 10 degrees; the grey ones (which I got) have 4 to 6 degrees, and the black ones have no float. Thanks, for the good review. The smaller toe area is interesting to know. The float with all Look pedals is determined by the cleat, though I don't think the older versions have a choice of the grey cleat. I'll have to think about which one I'd want.

I had no problems clipping in or out on the Keos, but I didn't have any problems with the older Looks either. You can adjust the tension on the pedals and having less float also helps with unclipping. By the same token, I've never used anything other than Looks so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I'm actually thinking of putting mtn. bike pedals on my old bike and getting Sidi Dominator shoes for that bike. I want to get whatever pedals are the closest to Looks just because I'm used to them (don't want to get confused when I go between bikes). People keep talking about smaller women having problems clipping out of Looks. I wear a US size 6 and have bad knees. Never, ever, had a problem. I have to wonder if the release tension screws are not adjusted properly.

Just a note, I have Eggbeaters on my mtbikes and switch all the time. Not a problem. The release movement is the same and since they have 4-sided entry, you can just slam your foot down and away you go.

Thanks for info on the Keos, Nina.

Ninabike
08-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Hi SadieKate,

I am a size 6 shoe also (38.5 Sidi shoe) What I meant about the toe section for the Keos being smaller, it's just less bulky than the old Looks. Once your foot is in the pedal, it feels very solid.

Thanks for the info on the Eggbeaters. My plan is to use my old bike (Bianchi with periodic carbon upgrades) for rides I might not want to take my new bike on (dare I say, a Colnago!!) - rides like the Rosarito Beach to Ensenada ride where they throw your bikes into carts behind the shuttle busses to get you to the start (or from the end, depending on where you stay). It's a fun ride - big hill, El Tigre, in the middle and very hot and dusty; about 10,000 riders. I had to walk part of the hill last year, and with each step I was sliding back down on my Look cleats. I was envying those people with mtn. bike pedals. By the same token, my new bike has great gearing for hills
(compact), so I probably would not have to walk, ha ha, we'll see!!

Nina

maillotpois
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I've been using regular Looks for years and switched to Keos after breaking 2 pedals in 1 ride!

I love love love the Keos!!! They are always in the right position. I can clip in while standing (as when leaving from a stop light or something). They're light and very easy in/out. The only thing is I notice it is hard to find the replacement cleats - but if they are phasing out the older pedals that should not be a problem.