PDA

View Full Version : Need help with selecting a new saddle..

nicolezoie
07-31-2005, 01:13 PM
I presently have a WTB Rocket V Sport SS which is OK - I've ridden close to 6500 miles on it. But, the problem I've been encountering with it on medium-long rides is the seams on the top of the saddle itself seem to dig/chafe into my sitbones, and occasionally, the nose will cause chafing on my thighs. Also, even though it does have a 1 cm wide channel, it doesn't seem to alleviate much pressure on my soft-parts. The width of the saddle is ok, the length & width of the nose is ok too.

What I'm looking for I guess is a saddle without seams on top, maybe without a channel (or a wider one?), and something that won't squish my female parts..

Build wise, I've got what I consider fairly big inner thighs and wide hips, even though where my legs end is fairly wide.

Any recommendations?

Also, I'm preparing to do a birthday century this week; should I stick with my old saddle for the ride? I'm thinking that would be best because trying to break in a new saddle on a LOOOONG ride might not be such a good idea.

Thanks in advance! :D

Irulan
07-31-2005, 02:43 PM
go to a Specialized dealer, get your sit bones measured with the ***-o-meter, buy a saddle based on your measurement. They make three or four different widths for different size skeletons. They are not gender specific, they are bone structure specific.

Irulan

Squirrel 2
08-01-2005, 10:44 AM
trying to break in a new saddle on a long ride can be disastrous -- I've done it not once, but twice, and will not do it again. My worst experience was a long ride I did alone, a long ways from home, with my transport driver out on a separate ride. 10 miles out I started having problems, which only got worse over the next 50+ miles. I managed to complete the ride & limp back to the car, but I was in sorry shape for days afterwards. Now I will only break in saddles close to home where I can abandon & get back easily if the saddle is a complete bust. If things go ok, then I start cautiously adding time + mileage. I would stick to the devil I know until I'm really sure about a new one.