PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Classes in Northern VA

kmehrzad
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know if there are spinning classes available in Northern VA (Reston/Sterling/Ashburn) independent of a gym membership? I'd like to keep spinning throughout the winter in a class setting (not on a trainer) and would prefer not to have to join a gym, if possible.

tulip
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I took spinning classes at the Audrey Moore rec center in Fairfax County. I did not have to join. I think it was something like $3 each class. They had a few really good spin teachers, but my favorite one moved away.

kmehrzad
10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
I took spinning classes at the Audrey Moore rec center in Fairfax County. I did not have to join. I think it was something like $3 each class. They had a few really good spin teachers, but my favorite one moved away.

Thanks, Tulip, for the tip. I'll check Audrey Moore Rec Center's site to see if it's available. I'm in Sterling and I think Audrey Moore is in Annandale, but it'd be doable on weekends.

Cataboo
10-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I googled this and saw winter training/computrainer classes at spokes etc:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=9508

I can't tell if that's $140 per class or $140 for 7 classes.

and I'm kinda assuming wintertraining/computer trainer = spinning, but I could be wrong

Cataboo
10-19-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.trifuel.com/news/2007/02/02/new-indoor-computrainer-cycling-centers-in-the-seattle-and-eastside-area

kmehrzad
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
http://www.trifuel.com/news/2007/02/02/new-indoor-computrainer-cycling-centers-in-the-seattle-and-eastside-area

Hey, thanks for looking into my inquiry about spinning classes. I think, though, $140 for 7 classes is a lot of $$. I'd hope to take a class at least twice, if not three times a week. I think a gym membership would be more practical in my case. The Audrey Moore Rec Center is a good deal for Fairfax County Residents. But it's a little distance from me to take a class on a weekday, factoring in traffic, drive time, etc. Weekends at Audrey Moore would be more likely.

Thanks for your efforts, though.

Possegal
10-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I spin at fitness first which costs me $29/month. So yeah, I think a membership like that would be a cheaper way to go. I know they are in Virginia too but I've never been to one in VA so can't help there. I can alwatys find 2-3 classes a week that I like the teacher and structure of the class.

Zen
10-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Hey! I spin at FF too!

kmehrzad
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
$29/month isn't a bad deal at all. I know we have Fitness First in several locations nearby. I'll give them a call tomorrow (along with a few other gyms just to compare). Thanks.

Possegal
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Check too if they have a discount for wherever you work. It may be a bit more a month otherwise. The 29 is with a discount (and it may be like $5) for my work. But I think they have it with a ton of places and if they don't have it, ask about how to get it because I don't think it is too hard. You just have to have a small number of people from the same place that belong. Something like that. Anywho - just ask them if they quote you a higher price. It really is not a bad cost/month and you can use any of the gyms. So I have classes at a couple other locations that I'll do as well as the one closest to my house. It's nice to have a lot of options.

And Zen - deja vu, cause I think that was the first conversation I had with you on this board. :)

kmehrzad
10-20-2009, 03:44 AM
Check too if they have a discount for wherever you work. It may be a bit more a month otherwise. The 29 is with a discount (and it may be like $5) for my work. But I think they have it with a ton of places and if they don't have it, ask about how to get it because I don't think it is too hard. You just have to have a small number of people from the same place that belong. Something like that. Anywho - just ask them if they quote you a higher price. It really is not a bad cost/month and you can use any of the gyms. So I have classes at a couple other locations that I'll do as well as the one closest to my house. It's nice to have a lot of options.

And Zen - deja vu, cause I think that was the first conversation I had with you on this board. :)

Thanks for the tip on checking into a work-related discount. I'll do that today. So, if you join one FF location you're able to use others in the area? That'd be sweet because I have two that are rather close to me ... just that one is in a high traffic area in the morning but is newer, so I'd like to use both if possible. I'll check today.

hoffsquared
10-20-2009, 04:19 AM
+1 on the Audrey Moore Rec Center in Annandale. You'd have access to entire center after your class too!

There might be a closer recreation center (maybe Oak Marr?).

Here is the link (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/recenter.htm)to Fairfax County Recreation Centers.

Possegal
10-20-2009, 07:24 AM
So, if you join one FF location you're able to use others in the area?

Yep! That is one of the best parts for me. I previously paid $60 a month for Sport and Health and would have had to pay them more to use any gym other than the one I joined (this was 8-9 yrs ago, so could be they have different rules now). When I moved to this house, there was a FF 2 blocks from me and I had a different work location so I was no longer driving by Sport and Health to go home. It made sense to switch. When they said I could use any gym, I was sold. There was one 2 blocks from work as well, though I've moved work location again. But I do have teachers I'll go to different gyms for. It makes it much easier to spin for 3 or sometimes 4 times a week and still find a teacher I really like, since all teachers aren't for everyone.

n2shape
11-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a stand along Spinning Studio in Tysons Corner. You can come in and take any class any time you wish. All you do is purchase a pack of sessions. We are located next to Tysons 1 mall and classes are offered at 6 am Mon, Wed, Fri; 630 pm Mon; Thurs 830 am. I invite any of you to come! They are small and personalized and taught by a personal trainer!

sgf726
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I googled this and saw winter training/computrainer classes at spokes etc:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=9508

I can't tell if that's $140 per class or $140 for 7 classes.

and I'm kinda assuming wintertraining/computer trainer = spinning, but I could be wrong

FYI - comptutrainer classes are not your typically spinning class. You use your own bike and the computrainer system - a computerized bike trainer. You can either do virtual courses and shift like you would on the road or in erg mode where you set the wattage and then do intervals based on power. IMO it is much more representative of real riding than a spin class. I started taking CT classes last winter and although more expensive don't think I will go back to spin class.

Kym
11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
I work in Tysons and would LOVE to go to a spin-specific studio but other than the 6:30 p.m. Monday class, they don't fit my schedule. Do you plan on adding more evening classes in the future?

Thanks!

I have a stand along Spinning Studio in Tysons Corner. You can come in and take any class any time you wish. All you do is purchase a pack of sessions. We are located next to Tysons 1 mall and classes are offered at 6 am Mon, Wed, Fri; 630 pm Mon; Thurs 830 am. I invite any of you to come! They are small and personalized and taught by a personal trainer!