PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with drivers round the world?!!!!

crazycanuck
10-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm really getting tired of reading stories about cyclists round the globe being killed by folks in 4 wheeled contraptions that think they own the freakin road.. No wonder i'd rather be on a mountain bike doing all my training soley on singletrack !

NZ ladies.. keep safe.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10603758

Here in Australia, a no brainer on a stupid (no i don't watch it!) tv show hasn't helped anyone on two wheels. http://www.theage.com.au/national/magdas-anticyclist-rant-sparks-chain-reaction-20091001-gcyf.html?autostart=1

Maxxxie
10-17-2009, 12:40 AM
This happens all over the world :( The latest in Aus (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/cyclist-killed-in-hit-and-run/story-e6freuz0-1225787818798). They don't even know who this poor guy was. :(

Near my regular bike path, a cyclist was struck and killed by a hit and run. Months later, they still don't have any leads. The road in question is a route used by garbage truck drivers. I've been run off the road by one of these truck drivers. They just don't care. Might makes right, and we're the ones who end up paying. :mad: It's infuriating, and I feel so disempowered by it. To think that my life could be ended by some twerp who's looking to shave a couple seconds off his trip.

Max

Tri Girl
10-17-2009, 01:56 AM
That's so terribly sad. :(

And I don't know about the rest of the world, but it seems that in the US, if you kill a cyclist or a pedestrian- there's really no recourse. Just a slap on the wrist and a finger wagging to not do it again. Most of the time it's called an accident and not what it really is: manslaughter/murder. Usually no charges are filed (unless that person is drunk and actually sticks around to be caught by police- which is rare).:mad::mad::mad:

I told my DH just the other night that if I'm killed by a driver, that he better do everything in his power to get that person (or future people who do it) to pay for their crime. With all the texting while driving and talking on phones, and other distractions- I know the odds are against us all. But that still won't stop me...

Maxxxie
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
It's made worse by the fact that the courts just don't get it. I can't find the link just now, so I'll write out my recollections of a recent case:

A cyclist was riding to work in the early morning. Low light conditions. He was wearing a high vis vest and one or more blinkies on the back. From memory he also had a rear reflector. For reasons unknown to me, he did not have a front light on. He was struck from behind by a vehicle (the driver of which did actually stick around). He suffered significant back and neck injuries. The driver was prosecuted by the local plod. You'd think this would be a victory, but you'd be wrong.

The judge in the case ruled that since the cyclist did not have a front light on his bike, his bike was therefore illegal and he was at fault. That he was struck from behind was completely lost on this dimwit. The local plod, as I understand it, are appealing the judge's decision. I saw something recently in the local news suggesting the case is being reviewed.

The judge's decision in this case flies in the face of common sense. I'm sure this is not the only example of the judiciary just plain getting it wrong. Meanwhile, a cyclist who was seriously injured now has a huge dose of anger, cynicism and sense of injustice thrown in for good measure.

:(
Max

Tri Girl
10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
wow, Maxxxie, that's unbelievable. Ok, fine. Your bike didn't have a front light (yes, that's illegal here too), so write the cyclist a ticket but don't hold him responsible for being hit from BEHIND when he was clearly visible from the rear. Idiotic! :eek:

shootingstar
10-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Part of the central problem is still the reckless driver who did harm, if s/he is charged something less than jail time, that doesn't physically stop the person from still driving even though the local law and fine imposed clearly indicated person is forbidden.

ie. drunk drivers who have hurt someone/property. I met a woman who was incensed that her father who was an alcholic, did have his license suspended SEVERAL times, yet he just merely got into the car and still drove. The authorities didn't take away his license.

Physically taking the driver's license away would be lst (though minor) step..since some people use it for local photo I.D. when they are doing whatever within their own country. But jail time for several years would be better.

Wonder how the restrictions of cell phone use while car driving in some jurisdictions is effective. Probably too soon for a track record of case law.

The tough part also is be willing to spend money to have a lawyer represent you if you were wrongfully injured/killed by a driver. Many bad things happend but litigation doesn't occur because this next step could become seriously expensive.

7rider
10-17-2009, 03:46 PM
The judge in the case ruled that since the cyclist did not have a front light on his bike, his bike was therefore illegal and he was at fault. That he was struck from behind was completely lost on this dimwit.

The State of Maryland is a "contributory negligence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributory_negligence)" state - so if even 1% of the responsiblity is pinned on the plaintiff (i.e. dead or injured cyclist or pedestrian), the striking motorist isn't responsible.

Tri Girl
10-17-2009, 03:59 PM
The State of Maryland is a "contributory negligence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributory_negligence)" state - so if even 1% of the responsiblity is pinned on the plaintiff (i.e. dead or injured cyclist or pedestrian), the striking motorist isn't responsible.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. :mad:
So let me get this straight: if I don't have a rear reflector (required by law- at least here) but 30 blinking lights and I get hit from behind and killed by a driver- they are not responsible in any way. Wow- your state makes me angry (well, that one law anyway). I know Maryland is a wonderful state... that's just ridiculous.

Maxxxie
10-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Every time I see a thread like this, I know I shouldn't open it, let alone participate in it. I'm usually pretty rational, but these sorts of discussions generally leave me seeing red. An update on the Australian cyclist I mentioned in my original post - the one who was yet to be identified (not sure if he's yet been formally identified):

Teenager charged over cyclist death
COURTNEY TRENWITH
18/10/2009 11:00:00 AM
A Dapto teenager has been charged over a hit-and-run accident that killed a cyclist at Yallah yesterday.
Police allege the 17-year-old boy drove off after his vehicle hit the cyclist on Marshall Mount Rd about 9am, causing the 39-year-old Kiama rider to come off his bike into a grass verge.
The cyclist died at the scene as a result of his injuries.
Do you know more? Post a message below, or email us at scoop@illawarramercury.com.au
Police said a teenager later contacted Port Kembla Police Station.
He was charged with dangerous driving occasioning death, failing to stop after an accident causing death and being an unlicensed driver.
He was refused bail and is expected to appear at Parramatta Children's Court today.
The vehicle was seized for forensic and mechanical examination.
Police are preparing a report for the coroner.

Anyone with information about the incident should contact Warilla Police Station on 4295 2699 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

*sigh* An unlicensed teenager. :( :mad: At least he had the decency to turn himself in.

Max

MillieNZ
10-18-2009, 11:48 AM
:mad:

I'm getting more and more uncomfortable cycling on Aucklands' roads...... the recent cycling deaths seem to have casued great debate between cyclist & other road users that I can't see being resolved. Car drivers seem to be even more agressive towards cyclists, to the point at the weekend where I was cycling along a popular route in South Auckland when a car driver coming towards me took both hands off the wheels and gave me the fingers and shook fists at me, whilst letting his car drift towards me, followed by on the way home a old man not wanting to wait behind until the car coming towards me had passed, so he went and got so close that I had to swerve off the road into the ditch to avoid being knocked off :(:(:(

I've been doing a lot more mountain biking recently...........no cars, no worrying about cars...... peaceful :)

Since the recent accidents invlving cyclist, there seems to have started a great dispute between cyclists and other road users....

crazycanuck
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
MNZ-it's hard being a cyclist in Auckland :mad:

I'm glad you've discovered Mtn biking :) & as you say it's QUIET, SAFE (i'd rather hit a tree than have to deal with motorists) and much more exciting than being on a boring road. Have you spent most of your mtb time at Woodhill? If you get a free weekend, venture on down to Rotovegas for the awesome trails at Waka!

Just another update on the cyclist hit near Auck http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10604147

channlluv
10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm so sorry about the cyclist who has yet to be identified. I wonder why his family hasn't been looking for him, or maybe they have.

Not to turn this into a commercial, but this is why I bought Road ID for all three cyclists in my family. Dogtags for DD and myself, the bracelet for DH.

Roxy

crazycanuck
10-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't understand some of the lame comments we as cyclists have to answer up to. I/we own a house, vehicle, pay taxes etc..why should I need to pay a road cycling tax or whatever it is non cycling folks want :mad: :confused: I am not one of the roadies that ride in a large group & take up the road, I don't weave around cars, I am not in the way & am fully aware that i'm on the only one on the black stuff!!!

It's the same everywhere I guess. I for one stay clear of the news site discussion boards on cycling safety as some folks really shouldn't own a computer or a car!!!! :mad: URGh..I have better things to do...

MillieNZ
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm not against paying a road users charge if I'm going to see something for it like more cycle lanes, more signage making motorists aware of high cycle traffic etc .....

Not really sure what you do about the large groups of hard core cyclists that ride several abreast and groups of 50-60 riders though ??

The other side of the issue is per head of capita, NZ has the 3rd highest obesity in the world, we are a country of overwieght people who don't do much exercise...... cycling is one of fastest growing recreation sport in the country, will taxing bikes put people off getting out and about into a realatively cheap form of exercise ???

CC- have been up to Woodhill quite reguarly ! Becoming my favorite spot and like you, if i fall off my bike then at least it was my fault and I'm responsible for my own safety :) Planning a weekend in Rotovegas soon:D:D Loving my new Mtn bike :)

crazycanuck
10-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Madame MNZ..what did ye get??? A dually? Nice n new ?

krisl6
10-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Things aren't much better where I am. Holland is full of bikes. They're not just for working out here, but an everyday mode of transportation. In the past 3 months there have been 4 incidents of people on bikes being hit by cars (at least one of them was killed) on the street where I work. It's madness. Driving fast rarely gets you where you're going any faster than if you drove like a NORMAL person!

girlonbike
03-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Things aren't much better where I am. Holland is full of bikes. They're not just for working out here, but an everyday mode of transportation. In the past 3 months there have been 4 incidents of people on bikes being hit by cars (at least one of them was killed) on the street where I work. It's madness. Driving fast rarely gets you where you're going any faster than if you drove like a NORMAL person!

I do my best to avoid driving in traffic!