PDA

View Full Version : Fat Bottomed Girls first tri: Carpinteria, CA

fatbottomedgurl
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Well I did it! .5k. 15k, 5k.

The first surprise was the fog! We were expecting a warm day, in fact I was concerned because I was in the last wave at 8:37 and thought we would be hot on our run. But it was cold and foggy.

I got an end spot in the transition area and met some other first timers. I had plenty of time- no rush so no anxiety there. The camaraderie was awesome. My only support was my DH because there was no way my teenagers would get out of bed at 4:30.

I stood on the beach and could barely see the buoys. On top of that, this particular beach is known to be very quiet, but we had pretty big surf happening. I had a total moment of panic after zipping up my wetsuit- I couldn't find my goggles! But I realized I had zipped them up inside my suit. Hahah. My husband had to reach in and get them for me.

I seeded myself almost in the front to the left of the crowd. We had a left shoulder around the buoy and I wanted to stay on the inside. Off we went! It was crowded at the buoy, I turned practically next to it as arms and legs thrashed about. Most every one swung wide, so I stayed close to the inside, with the crowd to my right. There was quite a swell going- I got a couple mouthfuls of water. Someone was drafting me, and kept grabbing my foot! So I kicked really hard for a little while. I don't mind someone drafting, but seriously, don't grab me! Finally I got to the next buoy, made a left and into shore. A little wobbly as I jogged into T1.

Transitioned well- I had my shoes clipped in so just needed to strip the wetsuit, put on the helmet and glasses and jog barefoot to the mount area. Swung my leg over, pedaled a bit, got my feet in my shoes and off I went. The bike was harder after swimming- I've never done that before. It was still misty- I think it slowed everyone down a little bit. I only got passed by one lady and a few guys, and I was passing the folks on mtbs. I kept my place and was patient because I knew the course- a long very gradual climb, a downhill canyon, and a steeper climb midway. I knew if I played it right I could pass people on the second climb.

Got to the steep spot and dropped a couple of guys, and then passed the lady who had dropped me earlier. Yesss! The rest of the course was a downhill curvy section- dropped more folks there especially on the sharp turns- and then a long straight fairly flat four miles through farmland. Rode into town and slipped my feet out of my shoes for a barefoot running dismount. I was glad I practiced that for an hour on Saturday!

I thought I would die when I started running. There was no way I was going to make three miles! But I hooked up with a woman for the run- she was actually nine years younger. She would walk a bit and I would pass her, then I would walk for a bit and she would pass me. We started teasing each other, and it really helped the run. I was being passed right and left. I am a very slow runner and my heart rate blows up if I go too fast. I did pick up the pace for the home stretch, and my running friend did too. I ended up following her into the finish line. I loved hearing my name and hometown on the loudspeaker as I came in- Yesss! I did it!

This winter I will work on my swim speed and running, but I am very happy considering I just started running at the end of July, and had to stop training two weeks ago thanks to Lenny the butt-chomping Mastiff! V^^V

Swim: 15:27 T1 2:44 Bike: 33:34 T2 2:49 Run: 35:44 Total 1:30:16 22/41 45-49 year olds. 331/456 total contestants

colby
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
YAY!! You made it! :D :D :D Awesome, you did really well! Flying mounts and dismounts, whew. Nothing sweeter than catching back up to people that passed you, too. :)

salsabike
09-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Congratulations on your first one! And oh, baby, look at that surf...

Really---sounds like it went quite well. Isn't it nice to know now you can do it?

OakLeaf
09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Way to go! :D Man, I'd have been terrified to get in that water. And it looks so cold!

Great job. :):)

staceysue
09-29-2009, 02:32 AM
And all that after being bit on the *$$ by a mastiff. You ROCK!

Veronica
09-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Hey, good for you!

Veronica

Tri Girl
09-29-2009, 03:51 AM
AWESOME!!!! Way to go!!! :D:D:D:D:D Sounds like a GREAT race- and you look so happy. I'm proud you were able to run at all considering the butt chomp you suffered a couple weeks ago.
And yeah, that ocean picture scares the beejeebers out of me, and I didn't even have to swim in it. I can't imagine heading into those waves. :eek:

Hey wait- you're not a fat bottomed girl at all. ;)

tribogota
09-29-2009, 06:20 AM
15 minute swim with waves coming at you! wow! you rock!

HillSlugger
09-29-2009, 07:08 AM
Congrats on your first tri; sounds like you had a good plan and that it worked well.

I'm thinking about an ocean swim tri next year and your picture with the surf scares me!

kacie tri-ing
09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Congrats! That is really amazing!!!

fatbottomedgurl
09-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I LOVE the ocean. The wetsuit gives total confidence too- once you get past the breakers it's not so bad. Just a little roll-ie.

BTW after my training this summer I am a less fat-bottomed-girl but I will always carry some extra padding in the badonkadonk. :D

kacie tri-ing
09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
hehehehe funny last comment!

HillSlugger
09-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I LOVE the ocean. The wetsuit gives total confidence too- once you get past the breakers it's not so bad. Just a little roll-ie.

BTW after my training this summer I am a less fat-bottomed-girl but I will always carry some extra padding in the badonkadonk. :D

I did a practice OWS on Saturday in rough water and got a bit seasick! :eek:

Iris616
09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow! Great job! Those look like some serious waves!

channlluv
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm equally impressed by the barefoot running dismount from the bike! Wow. Congratulations!

Roxy

roadie gal
09-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Good job, Woman!

I can't picture doing an ocean tri. Those waves would stop me cold.

spindizzy
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I can't picture doing an ocean tri. Those waves would stop me cold.

And I'd like to add that I'm amazed at the calm look on your face before jumping into an angry ocean. Excellent race.

indigoiis
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Wow! You are awesome!!!

HillSlugger
09-30-2009, 04:51 PM
You've got two pictures showing the ocean, the first shows a crashing surf and the second looks pretty calm; what was the difference and which was like your swim start?

Wahine
10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Great job!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

fatbottomedgurl
10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
You've got two pictures showing the ocean, the first shows a crashing surf and the second looks pretty calm; what was the difference and which was like your swim start?

Well, the way the ocean works is the waves come in "sets," so you get a group of bigger waves coming in and then it calms for a bit, and then back to the bigger waves again. In the first picture the poor 30-35 year olds are heading right out into a heavy set. (It really looks worse in that picture than in actuality.) When my wave took off we were between sets, so I only had to dive through one wave and then was able to swim up and over the swells as they came in.

I have gotten seasick on an OWS a month ago. Well... queezy.

This beach's swells and waves want to bring you into shore. Down the coast we have riptides and those are scary because they want to take you out to sea.

Thanks everyone!