PDA

View Full Version : Avc

Pink Kona
07-22-2005, 10:50 AM
This past weekend I participated in the Alpenrose Velodrome Challenge. This three day event attracts talented track racers from across the nation and boasts a $16,000 purse. Top talent attended - I couldn't even tell you how many world champions, national champions and Olympians showed up. Needless to say the racing was fast and furious. It gave me a great taste of elite racing - at its pinneacle.

Bare in mind- I've only been racing track for about 2 months. I went down to the AVC to get exposure to another track and other racers. Alpenrose is much smaller than my local velodrome - 45 degree pitch on a 283 meter oval. One must maintain 12 mph or greater on the turns or you will slide down. The track was intimidating. I warmed up for about 25 laps before having to dive into a 500m TT. Amazingly I placed 7th - despite feeling like I was going to spill my cookies in the corners because the G-force was so intense. If I could have done it over again I would most certainly pre-rode the track before a big competition. Lesson #1.

We did the typical track races - both sprint and endurance. There were 19 women in the Miss N' Out which means sketch city! Unfortunately I was tangled up in a crash - where two women in front of me collided and I rolled right over the top of one of them. Lesson #2 - stay uptrack and come around. The closer you are to the sprinters lane the easier it is to get taken out (by crash or missing the line!). I hit my head pretty hard - hard enough to shatter my helmet. Luckily that was all that happened. My bike was fine. :)

Later that night we did a 60 lap scratch race. I felt strong - although once the lead group detached from the rest of us - and I was the only strong person trying to bridge the gap -I gave up all hope and pulled myself from the race. I cried. I felt ashamed. I was really really upset with myself. Of course I had my pity party by myself behind the cars - called my husband and mom and vented. And you know what they said? Look at what you're doing! Reality check! 2 months into this sport and you're already going head to head with Olympians?! Gee - thanks Mom. I needed that. :) And in retrospect that moment is when I decided if I want to take things to the next level, it's not going to be easy. It's going to take more mental toughness than I've ever experienced in a sport. Well guess what? I'm up for that challenge. Bring it on.

On Sunday morning we did a flying 200m TT to seat us for the sprint competition. I placed 5th - right behind the Olympians. Not bad for a rookie. Although when it came time for the three person match sprints, I didn't have the usual drive and edge to drive the sprint. Maybe spooked from the crash, competition or velodrome - I was a little upset with myself for not going harder. Lesson #3 - sometimes you have to lose to win.

The weekend packed about 3 years worth of track experience into 3 days. I am taking this knowledge and building on it. Nationals are in three weeks - and my new found determination is going to be a force to reckon with.

alison_in_oh
07-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Alpenrose! :D

Oh, how I miss watching the track races there!

CONGRATS! Sounds like you learned a LOT and got some great placements as well! Glad you're safe after the crash!

RoadRaven
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Wow Pink... for a self-professed "newbie"

You must have some real natural talent

Looking forward to hearing more of your tales...

BikeMomma
07-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome, Pink! Way to fly...spread those wings, Girl! Go! Don't let that self-doubt, fear, newness, or whatever it is get in your head. Think only of winning and that you're THERE doing it, not sitting at home wishing you could! Remember, you won't let anyone down if you don't do as well as you want to, except perhaps yourself, and even then you should be extremely proud. Look at how far you've come in such short a time. Your family is absolutely on the money with that, and good for them for setting you straight. ;)

Don't give up again, either! What if the lead group had crashed and they were through? You would have been sittin' pretty....

Speed rules! Have fun!
BikeMomma

Pink Kona
07-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks Bike Momma - it means a lot. How's your training going?

BikeMomma
07-27-2005, 12:16 AM
Pretty good! Thanks for asking. I've already met my goal that I had set for the end of the summer for keeping up with the fast group. A secondary goal to that is to be competitive, too (not just stay in the draft), which I'm starting to see almost realized. I take my pulls when I should, do equal duty in the pacelines, and jump into chase groups until I feel my lungs spilling out of my chest. :D

It's surprising how fast I've improved from the beginning of the year. Several of the guys have taken notice and complimented me. It's neat to back in the mix after being out of it so long. ;)

Pink Kona
07-28-2005, 10:36 AM
That's great! Congrats on meeting your goals! So does that mean you'll get back into the full swing of racing next season? Would you say racing has changed that much from when you first raced? (Obviously the numbers have hopefully improved but would you say they are more aggressive now in comparison to when you first started?)

Do you by chance have any experience of starting a team? I am in a position to potentially put one together for next season... but I want to make sure I have a grasp on what that will entail. Maybe we could discuss this outside of the forums?