PDA

View Full Version : girly: rubbed a bit raw?

cathleen
07-22-2005, 08:01 AM
anyone ever found the *ahem* "petals on their delicate flower" a bit raw after a ride? :confused:

I went for a lengthy ride a couple days ago and unfortuantely was in slightly damp shorts for several hours. now, I'm a bit irritated in some parts. :(

any suggestions /products for relief? this is actually quite uncomfortable and I don't know what to do and I've been squirming in my chair at work this morning. :(

Grog
07-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Hello Catty and welcome to the board!

You'll find plenty of info on the subject, especially under "saddle sores" threads...

Basically, when it is too late for prevention (because it IS the best weapon), just make sure you're clean and dry, so try to sleep commando and maybe stay so (at least when you're at home!). For the rest... I'll leave you to the experts, that's all I've had to do to solve my issues in that area. (Although mine were mostly in the back from chafing.)

Bike Goddess
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Most of us use Assos or Chamois Butter. However, if that's too late, try baby diaper rash salve. I think TREK talks about remedies like this on another thread.

I use liners (so I don't have direct contact with the chamois on the short) and ALWAYS use gobs of chamois butter when I get dressed. I also take small packets of the stuff on my rides so I can grease up if necessary.

On adventure stories thread, I have a comment about hot seat! I used a pair of inexpensive shorts for a 65 mile ride and believe me even with chamois butter I was still sore. So, word from the wise, best to have GOOD shorts with GOOD chamois design. This means spending around $50-$60 at least. Well worth the price!

You can find these creams at your LBS and for sure at REI.

Hope this helps. I hate being sore in my crouch! Painful and no fun riding! :( :(

angelap03
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi, Do you recommend any particular brand and style of short that would be best for 50+ miles?

Angela

RoadRaven
07-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi Cathleen, welcome to TE
What Grog said... lots of discussion on the boards here

Cornflour, or a cornflour based talcom powder, is great for a rash after you have a shower too...

Angela, just look for a pair of shorts with a quality, thick chamois in it... best to go and actually look in your LBS if you can and then you know what you are looking for and comparing with.
If there is a woman in your LBS, she will prolly have some recommendations...

Dianyla
07-22-2005, 01:17 PM
For prevention of this problem:
1. Better chamois. For long-distance riding some shorts are actually described as being "century" rated, but I usually just feel up each and every pair of shorts on the rack and squeeze each chamois until I find the thickest most plushy cushy chamois. And, invariably, the price tag is usually $60+. :rolleyes:

2. Chamois butter/diaper cream. Use it, use lots of it and apply liberally front and back.

3. Find a better saddle with well-designed cutout. The first cutout saddle I tried was actually worse because the ridges of the cutout hit me in a very bad way, finally I found a cutout saddle that was shaped well. As for what makes it shaped well or not this is all very anatomy dependent and we're all built differently so I won't make a brand recommendation. Like shoes, it just has to fit your body. A good cutout saddle will move the pressure from the center out to the sides which is tougher skin and the softest delicate tissues just hang out in the groove.

4. Take your shorts off immediately after a ride and air out.

For relief once the damage is done, if you are in significant pain/discomfort I highly recommend a product like Vagicaine. In the feminine hygiene products section look for vaginal creams that contain benzocaine/lidocaine, there are several brands. They are strangely numbing and I would never advocate using this on a regular basis as a means of coping with bad clothing/gear, but for occasional use once you're up that creek it is a lifesaver. Other people's lives, that is... there's nothing like coochie-pain to make me homicidal...

RoadRaven
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
. but for occasional use once you're up that creek it is a lifesaver. Other people's lives, that is... there's nothing like coochie-pain to make me homicidal...

Oh yes... this I COMPLETELY understand :p

Dogmama
07-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Diaper rash cream is easy to find & works pretty well after the damage is done.

You will toughen up down there. I don't mean big, honking callouses, but it won't hurt so badly after awhile.

A tip: have several pairs of shorts with different chamois in them and rotate them often. That way - you won't get repeatedly rubbed "the wrong way."

HoddyToddy
07-25-2005, 11:15 AM
This is why I joined today!
Went on a ride yesterday and was sooo irritated afterwards (and still am today). Not so much in the "girlie parts" but at the bikini line. So with that, a bit of a personal ?...what kind of "gardening" do you do down there? :eek: I usually shave, but sheesh, when it grows back, the irritation is worse. Do you shave before every ride? Wax? Go "natural"?
My favorite shorts have an old-school chamois (probably very bad) and I haven't gotten used to fat diaper-feeling pads yet! I guess I need new shorts, huh? I'm thinking that the leather, thin chamois might aggravate the tenderness?

Jenny

snowtulip
07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Everyone,
For years I have lived off an endless supply of chamois butter and astroglide (for the girly parts). When I was prepping for my Colorado Trail trip I took a few leaps of faith that paid off. I went for a pair of shorts that did not have as much cushion as the chamois' I have been wearing and tried a seat that was highly recommended on this site (Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts and a Selle seat). They saved me and I had no girly issues with 12 continuous days of riding long rides. What I found was that the big cushy chamois' were actually putting a lot of pressure on my girly parts.

Enjoy!

wingsonwheels
07-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Definitely spend for some higher-end shorts for those longer rides (45 miles and better). Also, thicker does not always equal more comfort: it depends where the padding is, what it's made of, etc. and the chamois has to match the shape of your "seat" where it meets the "seat".

I like the Castelli shorts ( of course, expensive) for the fabric, the non-silicone elastic, and supportive chamois. I also have a PI pair that are pretty good for long rides (3D chamois). If you are at the point of spending that much time in the saddle, shell out for some high dollar shorts. I have never put any goo on my butt, and have (albeit narrowly) avoided saddle sores.

It reminds me of my running shoes: I have 20 mile shorts, 30 mile shorts, 50 mile shorts, etc...