PDA

View Full Version : Help w/toe cramps/new shoes!

renie
07-22-2005, 07:59 AM
After spending $100 for spin shoes/clips I am still getting back toe cramps - they go numb on me. I drink gatorade, and eat lots of fruit and take vitamins. Any suggestions? this is very frustrating--it really takes away from a great workout experience! :(

CorsairMac
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
toe cramps could be caused by: tight shoes, cleats in the wrong spot, heavy socks, tight socks.

My first suggestion would be to make sure your shoes aren't too tight. If they aren't and you're still having problems - you'll need to try moving your cleats around and don't be surprised if the cleats aren't in the same spot for both feet. You might try moving the cleats forwards, backwards, side-to-side or even tilt them.

I also discovered my awesome cycling socks are too tight around my ankles when my feet swell which was causing problems with numbness in my toes so check your socks too.

renie
07-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks. I wear thin running socks, but, you know, I think I pull my socks too tightly, although I've NEVER experienced cramps or numbness when running.

I will check out socks. I had to have the clips put in my shoes, do I move them or do I have to have the store do that?

RoadRaven
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
psst... renie... once you have shoes, socks, angle of clips etc all sorted...

Remember to wriggle your toes on a long ride - they will go to sleep otherwise...

CorsairMac
07-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks. I wear thin running socks, but, you know, I think I pull my socks too tightly, although I've NEVER experienced cramps or numbness when running.

I will check out socks. I had to have the clips put in my shoes, do I move them or do I have to have the store do that?

I'm also a runner and I never had the problems with my feet while running that I had when I returned to cycling - especially as I started riding longer and longer distances.

As for the cleats - you can move them yourself. Flip you shoes over and you should see some hex head screws holding the cleats in place. You should also see some "tracks" and/or bolt holes depending on the type of shoe you have that will allow you to move the cleats around. My road shoes have both so I can either physically take the cleat off and move it to another set of holes OR I can slide the cleats up or down while leaving them in the holes they're in. Depending on the type of cleats you have - you may also be able to twist the cleat some. You may have to play with them until you find just the right spot for your feet. Just be careful, depending on the type of cleat you have there may be a small metal plate that sits down inside the cleat to hold the screws in. The first time I moved my cleats I dropped that plate coz I didn't realize it wasn't attachd. :rolleyes: I don't know what type of relationship you have with your LBS but you could also take them there and ask them to show you how to move your cleats.

Another thing to look at is your insoles. I don't know what type of shoes you have but I use my running insoles in my riding shoes and that cleared up the last bit of the pain I was having.

and dead on what RR said: don't leave your feet stagnant. When I ride I curl and splay my toes while riding so they aren't just sitting there doing nothing! :p

renie
07-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Corsair: Thanks for all the info. It's great -- I will try to fix the clips first on my own--then call the LBS.

Do you find that cycling helps the running?

CorsairMac
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
sorry - I was offline for 2 days! Actually I find I don't run as far as I used to before I was cycling. I was running 3 miles just to work out the dogs but I've cut back to 2 miles. The dogs haven't seemed to notice! If I didn't have the dogs I'd probably be running 6-9 miles coz that's the distance I prefer. Since I"m a commuter during the week there are days when it's tough to get myself motivated to run after riding 6 miles up the mountain in 21 mph headwinds (like last night :o ) or in the winter when it's cold and dark by the time I get home - but I"m working on that!

VenusdeVelo
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
Another tip on placing your own cleats -- I am anal about having the bikestore (if you know someone good), fitting your cleats on your road bike. The guy I go to has improved my technique by fitiing my cleats and road shoes properly (they also will "shim" the cleat to correct for improper form -- ie, I used to splay my knees out too much, esp when I got tired).

On a spinner though, DIY, put your shoe on and with a marker, put a small tick at the point at which your "bunion" bone (don't know what it is officially called!!) center hits the shoe -- you kind of feel around with your fingers. Take a look at your cleat, and you will see like a formed line in the side of the cleat. That line should line up with that tick mark when you place the screw down the cleats to your shoe. Also consider using some of the lock-tight (a blue goo you get at the bike store) on the screws which will keep the screws from unscrewing prematurely.

Hope this helps!