PDA

View Full Version : Ride with George Hincapie in Oregon

Susan Otcenas
07-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Ladies,

George Hincapie will be riding this year's MS150 ride in Oregon. More details here: http://www.orcnmss.org/Bike/ I've done the Oregon MS150 3-4 times, but not in the past few years (my grandfather suffered from MS). Just may have to sign myself up again...

Susan

SadieKate
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Durn! I was seriously thinking about this next year.

Jo, the profiles of the routes should be making you drool, you monster mountain woman. :)

PinkRacer
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
EEEEKKKKKK!!!!!

This is so exciting! I called my BF right away and I am going to talk him and several friends into maybe starting a Seattle team to raise money & come down! EEEEE.... so Exciting! Wheeeeee! George is my BF favorite rider and that's his birthday weekend what an amazing way to spend it!!!!

:p

Bike Goddess
07-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Susan- I'd love to be there, just signed up for the Marin Century on August 6th. Maybe next year! :)

Susan Otcenas
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I signed up for the MS150 yesterday, as did Jeff. I'm hoping for a few pics with/near/of George. :) I'll post 'em if I get 'em.

Susan

Bustertb
07-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Was dx'd several years ago. I'd LOVE to ride the MS150. Tell George I said hello :) He just became a dad.

lkrider
07-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Susan, are you forming a team for the ride? (hint, hint) I've been considering this ride for a while, but don't want to ride alone...so I put off registering...and then there's the fundraising part that I never know what to do about. --LisaKaren in Beaverton

Susan Otcenas
07-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey LisaKaren,

You should ride. I know a number of people riding, and we'll probably hang together in the evening. Definitely in are our friends Lisa & Gordon. Really friendly couple that live in SouthEast. We'll camp (rather than dorm) and I'd guess they will too. Come join us! I seem to recall your husband rides too, doesn't he?

I personally don't enjoy fundraising. The last time I did it, I managed to raise $750 just by sending out one email to co-workers a the company I worked for at the time. People are amazingly generous - you never know who will respond. But, this time around, I've decided just to pay the $40 entry fee and the entire $200 fundraising requirement entirely out of my own pocket. I may ask my mom (her father had MS) for a donation, and perhaps my sisters, but that will probably be it.

Susan

Dianyla
07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I personally don't enjoy fundraising. The last time I did it, I managed to raise $750 just by sending out one email to co-workers a the company I worked for at the time. People are amazingly generous - you never know who will respond. But, this time around, I've decided just to pay the $40 entry fee and the entire $200 fundraising requirement entirely out of my own pocket.
I'm glad you mentioned this, Susan. I hate (hate hate hate!) fundraising, but I was afraid to ask the question about whether one can ride in the charity event without doing so (and sound like a horrible selfish biyotch for wanting to ride without fundraising...). I really wouldn't mind paying the whole entry fee myself to avoid this factor. :p

Susan Otcenas
07-29-2005, 08:26 AM
Dianyla,

I hope you can come along too! The invitation to camp together is open to all. A mini Portland-area TE get together for a good cause. :)

Susan

Dianyla
07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Ooh, sounds like fun! Right now I'm about halfway committed to something else that weekend (which I would just love to get out of truth be told) so I haven't signed up yet. If I do, I will absolutely be camping and would love to hang with the TE posse. :)

And to be honest I'm also realizing.... would now be the appropriate time to confess that I've only ridden all of (are you ready for this?) 10 miles since finishing the STP a month ago? :eek: Oh, Um, what I meant to say is that I've been resting and recovering. Yes. That's it. Resting my muscles. :rolleyes:

Susan Otcenas
07-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Last year, Jeff & I did the STP in one day on our tandem. We did not get on a bike for THREE WEEKS after that! We'd spent all spring riding every single weekend plus commuting to work, progressively ramping up the miles, riding as many as 145 miles in a day. After the STP (12 hours of saddle time, 15 hours elapsed, for the whole 205 miles) we needed a major break from our bike(s). We were on bike overload.

So, don't feel bad about your 10 miles. I think it's natural to pull back after such a big event. And I actually think we were happier, stronger cyclists after our time off. Our bodies really DID need time to recover, and we were fresh and ready to roar once we started riding again.

I think the MS150 ride would be a perfect comeback for you!

Susan

Dianyla
07-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Last year, Jeff & I did the STP in one day on our tandem. We did not get on a bike for THREE WEEKS after that!
OK, I feel much better now. Mine was 14 hrs saddle time in 18 hrs total, one dayer. Erm, next time I think I'll do it in two days unless I could realistically maintain a 19+ average and finish in 12 hrs. I couldn't find my ankle-bones until the following Thursday after STP and frankly I've really been enjoying these non-training vegging weekends lately!

Mmm, yes, a comeback ride is exactly what I need. :D

lkrider
08-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Well, thinking that I might go for it, I did a training ride out Haig Lake (over 40...must train!) and thought it over real hard. I really appreciate the invite and warm :) welcome, but I am more concerned about riding alone than camping alone (no hubby on tandem) and...well..the $200 out of pocket isn't really an option. (I thought maybe someone had a miraculous answer to how to get that accomplished - the brochure suggested teams) You all have a GREAT time...I'll be watching this thread to hear all about it and see those Pix with George!

Dianyla
08-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna have to bail out too. Too much going on that I have to get finished before my vacation starts next Wednesday. :cool:

Have lots of safe fun and post pics when you get back! :)

Adventure Girl
08-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Did anybody do this ride last weekend? Could you keep pace with George? Please post reports. And pictures of George would also be appreciated! ;)

Susan Otcenas
08-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Jeff & I did the MS150 (MS180) this weekend. We had a great time.

Sunday night we camped at Pacific University. Cool green grass, lots of shade, and no redneck kids squealing their tires in the middle of the night.

Saturday morning, George Hincapie gave a brief welcoming speech. He doesn't appear to be especially fond of public speaking, but he did welcome us all to the event and thank us for riding (No, no, thank YOU, George :) )

Being the crappy photographer that I am, the best :o shot I got of him was just at the moment he decided to yawn. He was apparently quite jet-lagged. He flew in from Italy to ride, and flew right back out when it was over. Got another shot of him speaking at the dinner after the ride too.

Saturday's long option was 106 miles. Quite hilly with 6000 feet of gain. No sustained climbs, just lots of ups and downs. Mostly lower-traffic roads. We did a loop around Hagg Lake, then headed south through Yamhill, Lafayette, Newberg, Sherwood (via Wilsonville Rd/Bell Rd/Baker Rd area), then back to Forest Grove.

The food was marginal. Lunch (including deli meats and salads with mayo) was left out in the sunshine, with no ice. We said something to the ride director and they moved it into the shade. I wouldn't eat most of it anyway. They ran out of water at lunch AND at the following rest stop. We went to Walgreens for water. Sigh.

Sunday's ride was 72 miles. 3750 feet of climbing. Two long sustained climbs - one 3 miles long, and one steep sucker that went on for a mile. Saw several folks walking that one. Food was better and more plentiful, but parts of the route were marginal. They routed us onto Hwy 47 and the 47/26 stretch between Banks and the turnoff to Vernonia. Huge shoulder, but the traffic sucks. Fortunately it was only a few miles.

All in all, an enjoyable ride, despite the food and water issues.

Trek420
08-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Susan Otcenas, how much did you and Jeff raise and I'll update the TE figures. Nice shots BTW, especailly Mt. Hood.....and George.

Susan Otcenas
08-10-2005, 11:30 AM
We decided to ride last minute, so rather than fundraise, we each paid the $200 minimum ourselves. So, $400 total.