PDA

View Full Version : Oh so lonely here in Corvallis!!!

chick on a bike
07-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey girls! =)

Do any of you out there live in Corvallis, OR.? I lost my riding buddy for the summer as she's up in Alaska building trials....and I'm stuck here with no one to ride with. :( Are there any of you that maybe live somewhat close to Corvallis that would want to ride with me? I hate going alone all the time as 1.) it's not that safe, and 2.) it's really boring. :p :rolleyes:

I road ride and mountain bike and will try anything as I'm really not that picky; just depends on how I'm feelin and what I'm in the mood for at the time! *ha ha* :D I'm always up for the challenge! ;) :cool: I'm not real sure on how fast I ride as I don't have a computer, but my guess is that I'm about at 15 to 18 mph on avarage (some days maybe faster). Really wish I had a computer........~grumble grumble~...:p

So if any of you out there are interested or live close to Corvallis, let me know because I'm really bored here! :p And I could use more girlfriends; mostly outside the world of the internet! *lol* ^^

Hugs and kisses to all!

~Liz :)

drplasma64
08-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I'm in Corvallis, you're not alone! Unfortunately, I'm a newbie and probably not, make that, definitely not, in good enough shape to ride with anyone. I'm still trying to work on going 3x/week for 30-45 minutes, and someday hope to be able to get up West Hills Rd with my old 12 speed.

We moved here last December. Which bike store do you recommend?

chick on a bike
08-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Well it's nice to hear that there's one person out there that's close.......~big grins~ :cool:

Even if you'd like to go with someone just for company, I'd would be more than happy to put up with you being outta shape. :)

The best place to go here in Corvallis for all your cycling needs is Corvallis Cyclery!! :D Those guys are awesome!!! The other stores suck, but Corvallis Cyclery is the best! ;)

Okay now I'm having a moment.....I forget; where's west hills road??? I should know this as I've lived in Corvallis all my life...is that out near the Fair grounds??? ~scratches head trying to remember~ :confused: I'm out just passed the Lewisburg store outside of city limits, so I have hills around where I am. :p And access to McDonnald Forest. ^^ It's nice really....

drplasma64
08-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey Chick, good answer about Corvallis Cyclery...they should have my new hybrid put together any day now. I found them to be very good technicians, but the sales help was a little lacking. On the other hand, the people at bike n hike were *really* nice, but couldn't get my FD adjusted. *sigh*.

Yeah, West Hills is near the Fair Grounds, a little further south, but before you reach Philomath Blvd. It's nice b/c I have great access to the multi-use path until I feel more confident on the road. Although here with all the bike lanes and people so used to seeing cyclists, I don't worry too much about the drivers, it's more likely that I'll do something stupid!

Did you know that ORC at OSU is offering a bike maintenance and repair course next week? I'm signed up, and I hope they don't cancel - I was the only one when I called, and they have a minimum of 3. I don't know if you'd be interested...but thought I'd pass that along.

Do you go on any of the cycling club rides? They're all too long for me still, but it might be good for you.

It's funny, last night when I was riding, another woman riding by herself passed me going the other way on the Midge Cramer bike path. I wondered if it was possibly you!

chick on a bike
08-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Yes, Corvallis is Bike Central and if you can't deal with cyclists then don't move here!!! LOL!!!!!! It is nice though that the cars here will actually look out for us and those that don't, well.........they can just go jump off a cliff somewhere..*lol* ^^ :p

I did not know that OSU was having any kind of class like that next week.....Unfortunately, even if I'd want to go I don't really have a really good way of getting there. Yeah I could ride my bike but with my health being the way it is right now, that far would kill me I think. :p And there's no money for gas either as no one in my house hold has a job; can't find or get one. :p But that class does sound bennificial! ^^

And no I'm not a part of any club rides as I needed to have a road bike before I could really tackle riding with larger groups....a mountain bike wouldn't cut it; I'd get left in the dust. :eek: :rolleyes: But now that I have a road bike I could probably do club rides. :)

Nope, it wasn't me you saw. ~mischievous grin~ I don't ride into town that far because of my mountain bike, it's too much of a pain....I ride out indipendance hwy and or out on hwy 20 into town then back home along 99W. So I'm no where's near you... :p

And I stick out like a sore thum anyway....you really can't miss me as I'm like the only "serious" black female cyclist on the road.....all the others don't have the clothes and are just doing it for leisure. ^^ My bike is black with a little bit of red, and my outfit is simple; black cannari shorts and sky blue cannari sleevless jersey.....Sometimes I just wear my shorts and pink sports bra.....and when it's really hot out, I just go in my lime green bikini! *lol* Cars really pay attention to me then and give me nice births. :D *giggles* Hmm, wonder why??? :rolleyes:

~Liz :cool:

drplasma64
08-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Well I know you're supposed to wear bright colors for safety...but a lime green bikini I would not have thought of. Of course, you'd never catch me in a bikini, but that's a whole 'nuther story!

Congrats on the getting the road bike, you'll have a blast! I'm sure they'll repeat the class at OSU either during the year or next summer, maybe by then you'll be able to take it. It sure is inconvenient when life interferes with cycling ;)

chick on a bike
08-11-2005, 01:36 PM
LOL!!!!!! ^^ Yes that lime green bikini sure does stand out...and it really is bright against the darkness of my back as it gets all the sun! *he he* Really, I don't know how I can even go out in my bathing suit......I was just so not thrilled about going out in any more than that on such a hot day (like 80 82+). I just deal with it, and since people don't seem to care much about fat these days, I guess I shouildn't worry about my problem areas showing either...I'm not too bad in that department but I do have areas that need work. :rolleyes: As I'm sure all of us do. *giggles* :D

And yes it is indeed inconveniant when life interferes with riding! I wish it would stop; I'm done!! *lol* I've got better things to do...like ride?? :D :cool:

Well just let me know if you want company while riding; I'll do whatever you want to do ^^....you can e-mail me through my profile if you want. :)

~Liz ;)

Bug
08-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Lonely:
I am a firefighter that lives near Albany, so the times I can meet up and ride are varied but flexible. Please drop me a line if you are interested in riding with me and another lady who works at a gym in Albany.
Stay safe!

chick on a bike
08-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Bug! ^^

So, how far do you ride and what type of riding do you do??? And how fast do you go?? I don't know how fast I move on my mtn bike but I seem to move pretty well (and that's on the road; my road bike isn't ready to ride yet :p ), I'm usually down in the hardest gear-half the time looking for more resistance....and it's a 21 speed if that helps to give you a better idea. * he he* And what about this other lady that you mentioned...... :)

roughingit
08-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey, I'm in Corvy too! I just got done with working summer camp so I have a wide variety of amusing songs to sing while riding...erm on second thought, I'd probably get hit in the head with a brick for doing that...

I stick to roads on my bicycle (always happy to hike off the roads, but I have not the bike nor the balance for mnt biking)

I've thought about riding with the local bike club, but fear I'm just not fast enough, anyone familiar with them here? As for local bike shops, I think they all suck...then again absolutely none of them are very useful to tourers. (Cyclery is the only place in town that even carries front racks *but* they tried selling me three different racks that didn't fit my perfectly standard Fuji Touring and I landed up finding my rack at a garage sale instead). One of the shops in town even tried to convince me that a carbon fibre fork would be great for heavily-loaded touring...... :mad:

I mostly cruise around town and go for rides that everyone I know thinks are insanely long, but experienced cyclists would find laughable lol. I usually ride about 10-15 mph depending on whether I'm riding alone or struggling to keep up with my boyfriend. :o

chick on a bike
08-15-2005, 01:51 PM
So.......roughingit......~evil grin~

Where about's in Corvallis are you??? ~big evil grin~

I don't know how fast I go and I don't know how much fun I'll be to ride with as right now I have a mtn bike for the road (my "new" roadie isn't quite finished yet as my bf still has some stuff to do on it), but I can still hold my own on the road. :)

How far do you ride when you go??? i usually go about 13 to 14 miles (although for the past week and a half I haven't been riding due to sudden health problems and diet change ~just found out I'm gluton intolerant and have celaic desease-kinda the same~ so my energy level has been iffy. :p I could probably do just fine for keeping up at 10-15 mph at this point! *lol* My luck with health lately has totaly sucked! :p

But anyway, enough about me, what about you???? :) :D Oh and I doin't think you'd get hit upside the head or hit with a brick for singing! :rolleyes: ~winks~ ;) *lol*

roughingit
08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Hmmmm....well yesturday I rode about 20 miles with at least 50 pounds of stuff during the heat of the day, but that was an extrodinary circumstance (coming home from camp for the final time with all my stuff). I'm normally much more prudent so a nice ten or fifteen mile ride sounds quite nice about now. Tis much too hot to be inside this week, at least on bikes we can pretend there is a breeze.

I just got this bike in the beginning of summer, but due to the lack of paved surfaces to ride on around camp, I haven't gotten much practice shifting so it's not highly likely that I would zoom off on you. My last bike was a hybrid, so I haven't gotten the hang of shifting down yet. (I tried to attack Wren Hill in my middle chainring :eek: )

Right now I am crashing up in the Winco area, but I'm actively looking for a place to live. I have an interview tomorrow with some gals that live near campus. If that falls through, then I'll be checking out the cheapy places on Circle. No point in paying rent while I was in camp. I'm surprised at the number of vacancies open though, so it looks like it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm totally up for a ride later in the week. I'll probably be heading for Salem this weekend to get my brakehoods adjusted somewhere where I can reach them properly, so I'm sticking to the flats or at least places where the big hills don't have stoplights at the bottom of them. ;)

drplasma64
08-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Hey Roughinit and Chick-

I'm going to work on my stamina so I can join you guys sometime. Right now I'm only doing about 7-8 miles a ride, averaging about 12 mph on my road bike. So I've got aways to go, but watch out behind you!

Oh..and boohoo, they cancelled the bike maintenance class this week because I was the ONLY one who signed up. They said they'd offer it again in the fall.

roughingit
08-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Do you need to be an OSU student for this class? Cost? It sounds like something I would be greatly interested in too. :)

I'd be happy to roll along with ya just for support. At that speed I could practice my spinning some. :cool:

chick on a bike
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Hmmmm....well yesturday I rode about 20 miles with at least 50 pounds of stuff during the heat of the day, but that was an extrodinary circumstance (coming home from camp for the final time with all my stuff). I'm normally much more prudent so a nice ten or fifteen mile ride sounds quite nice about now. Tis much too hot to be inside this week, at least on bikes we can pretend there is a breeze.

I just got this bike in the beginning of summer, but due to the lack of paved surfaces to ride on around camp, I haven't gotten much practice shifting so it's not highly likely that I would zoom off on you. My last bike was a hybrid, so I haven't gotten the hang of shifting down yet. (I tried to attack Wren Hill in my middle chainring :eek: )

Right now I am crashing up in the Winco area, but I'm actively looking for a place to live. I have an interview tomorrow with some gals that live near campus. If that falls through, then I'll be checking out the cheapy places on Circle. No point in paying rent while I was in camp. I'm surprised at the number of vacancies open though, so it looks like it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm totally up for a ride later in the week. I'll probably be heading for Salem this weekend to get my brakehoods adjusted somewhere where I can reach them properly, so I'm sticking to the flats or at least places where the big hills don't have stoplights at the bottom of them. ;)

Well then.........~evil grin~ We're just gonna have to get together sometime in the very near future then.....;) This week is going to be so much cooler than it has been so it'll be nice. :) Once I start riding my new road bike, I'm gonna be a comic relief or either that one annoying child on a bike as the gear shifters will be below me insted "in front of me" (on the brakes)....It's going to deffinitely take some getting used to. :rolleyes: So my practicing shifting will also be an experiance once I get my bike back (the bf has it with him up in Hilsburito as he calls it :rolleyes: so I'm not quite sure when I'll get it back...maybe next week when I go up to be with him :rolleyes: )

And you don't have to worry about any hills with traffic lights at the bottom of them as the only on I can think of around here would be Highland going into town.....Everything else seems to be on the flat...~ornery grin~ Luck for us. ;) Oh and what's Wren Hill??? :confused: Never heard of it! *lol* Is it bad?? *giggles*

Just holler when you're ready!!!! I'm always ready!! ^^ :D

Hugs and kisses!!

chick on a bike
08-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey Roughinit and Chick-

I'm going to work on my stamina so I can join you guys sometime. Right now I'm only doing about 7-8 miles a ride, averaging about 12 mph on my road bike. So I've got aways to go, but watch out behind you!

Oh..and boohoo, they cancelled the bike maintenance class this week because I was the ONLY one who signed up. They said they'd offer it again in the fall.

Yes you need to join us. ~evil grin~ >=) We all get good enough and we can have our own ornery little riding group. >=D :cool: It'd be fun to start something! ~ornery laughter~ Once I start riding my road bike, I may have to start riding with you as I'm going to be so rediculous at it and 7 to 8 miles may be all the more I could do as the positioning is so different!! *lol* I'm using other muscles when I'm on the road bike; a little different than the ones I am when I'm on Ma Hawg, Brunhilda (the mtn bike :rolleyes: ). You'll probably end up leaving me in your dust! *lol* ^^

~Liz ;)

roughingit
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Highland was *exactly* the big hill with a stoplight at the bottom of it I was thinking of lol! As for Wren Hill, it's somewhere out past Philomath before King's Valley....and someday I shall conquer it! How does Friday sound? If you guys would like somewhere to practice shifting, Camp Adair is full of unused roads that are fun to tool about on, or perhaps a trip up to Philomath for some Muchos Gracias ;)

drplasma64
08-16-2005, 08:02 PM
The bike maintenance class was offered through ORC at OSU. It is open to the general public, I think it was $55 if you aren't afffiliated with the U. It was supposed to be Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 7 pm to 9:30 pm in the bike maintenance shop, all hands on. Minimum of 3 people, maximum of 6.

http://recsports.org/orst/programs/orc/

then click on the current program link at the top to get the ORC handbook.

chick on a bike
08-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Highland was *exactly* the big hill with a stoplight at the bottom of it I was thinking of lol! As for Wren Hill, it's somewhere out past Philomath before King's Valley....and someday I shall conquer it! How does Friday sound? If you guys would like somewhere to practice shifting, Camp Adair is full of unused roads that are fun to tool about on, or perhaps a trip up to Philomath for some Muchos Gracias ;)

So what time are ya tinkin'?????? ~big....ornery....grin~ :D *lol* ^^ Adair Vilage is a good idea; I live so close (like 3 miles) and yet I've never even though about it! *lol* :rolleyes: Although, to practice shifting, this Friday is out as I don't have my road bike down here just yet, it'll probably come home with me at the end of next week. ;) Just have my mtn bike right now. ^^

roughingit
08-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Welp, I got's me a place to live today! Hooray!

Oh yeah, bike ride...how about around 3 pm? Whereabouts would you like to meet up?

Trek420
08-17-2005, 08:25 PM
oh, this is so cool, it's TE gals hill training proram North :)

drplasma64
08-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Have fun you guys, I'm jealous. I can't get away during the week until like after 5:30 or 6.

I drove up to McMinnville last night and passed Adair Village and Camp Adair for the first time since we moved here...looks fun!

chick on a bike
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Welp, I got's me a place to live today! Hooray!

Oh yeah, bike ride...how about around 3 pm? Whereabouts would you like to meet up?

3 sounds good I guess.....I don't know.......where would you want to meet up??? I guess really it depends on where you want to ride and what kinda of a ride you want....and how long... It may not be too long as it's "supossed" to be 91 tomorrow! *lol* :p Stupid weather ~grumbles~ So I may just be in my bikini!! *giggles* ^^

If you want to talk to me more about it I'm sending you an email through your profile with my number and you can give me a call if you want...or if you can... :) Or you can just email me too, I'll respond quick as I've got yahoo messenger. ;)

chick on a bike
08-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Have fun you guys, I'm jealous. I can't get away during the week until like after 5:30 or 6.

Well nuts....... :p

drplasma64
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
That's the life of a stay-home mom of 2. If I'm lucky, they let me out for a ride after DH comes home...

roughingit
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
90-something again?! Eek! Could move it later to 6-ish, then so all three of us can ride and maybe beat some heat perhaps? I hear ya on the bikini, if I didn't have such a deathly fear of sunburn I'd sure be tempted to myself. :p

chick on a bike
08-18-2005, 06:09 PM
90-something again?! Eek! Could move it later to 6-ish, then so all three of us can ride and maybe beat some heat perhaps? I hear ya on the bikini, if I didn't have such a deathly fear of sunburn I'd sure be tempted to myself. :p

Well I suppose if all else fails I could alway just slather a ton of sunscreen all over you before we'd go....*giggles* :D And who knows...that might actually work to go that late too....... Don't know yet when my bf is supposed to be down but I know it's not till later so 6 might actually work just fine. :) That's a good idea. ;)

drplasma64
08-19-2005, 07:46 AM
But let me know what you plan! I just found out last night that DH has a work "function" out past Lebanon this afternoon, so I have no idea when he'll be back. There whole company is going out to some lake and boating and waterskiing. Families are technically invited, but it's not really worth it for us to go (kids are too little and will be cranky, and I'll end up watching them anyhow).

Hey, I rode 11 miles yesterday. 2.7 towing my son on the trail-a-bike (OK, he was pedalling too) around our rolling neighborhood, and 8.2 around bike paths. I'm working on my endurance!!

chick on a bike
08-19-2005, 11:53 AM
But let me know what you plan! I just found out last night that DH has a work "function" out past Lebanon this afternoon, so I have no idea when he'll be back. There whole company is going out to some lake and boating and waterskiing. Families are technically invited, but it's not really worth it for us to go (kids are too little and will be cranky, and I'll end up watching them anyhow).

Hey, I rode 11 miles yesterday. 2.7 towing my son on the trail-a-bike (OK, he was pedalling too) around our rolling neighborhood, and 8.2 around bike paths. I'm working on my endurance!!

Well if you want to come with us, we were going to be leaving at 3 from the front of the campus library here in Corvallis......=) We'd love another person if you want to come! ^^

drplasma64
08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Chick, have a great time. I have a feeling my family commitments are going to make it pretty hard for me to join you, but that's my life and I love them even if they do keep me pretty tied down :)

have you guys checked out the mid willamette valley bicycle club website? They have routes and cue sheets for rides of different lengths...looks like good info

http://www.peak.org/~mvbc/RouteSheets/index.html

chick on a bike
08-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks Chick, have a great time. I have a feeling my family commitments are going to make it pretty hard for me to join you, but that's my life and I love them even if they do keep me pretty tied down :)

have you guys checked out the mid willamette valley bicycle club website? They have routes and cue sheets for rides of different lengths...looks like good info

http://www.peak.org/~mvbc/RouteSheets/index.html

Hey thanks for the link! I'll have to pass it on and check it out! ^^ And I think it's great that you put family first.....that's the way it should be. :)

roughingit
08-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I really need to stop being such a weinie and go check them out. I've done a couple of the rides from thier page, I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with them!

chick on a bike
08-19-2005, 01:31 PM
That's my fear too....Even once I get my road bike back, it'll take a while for me to get used to it and to go on a club ride would take more work.........I know I probably would get left behind! ^^ :p We'll just have to train together. ;)

drplasma64
08-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Inquiring minds want to know!

Hope you had fun!

roughingit
08-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Went great! We rode down the Campus Way path, meandered through town towards Winco and eventually landed up at the Waterfront. :D

chick on a bike
08-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes, it went awesome!! :D :cool: I haven't had that much fun in a long time ^^....and it's a good thing that we ride at pretty much the same speed....that's hard to find in a partner. :rolleyes: :) Now I just have to start working on my road bike (guess I'd better bug the bf this week while I'm up here at his place. :rolleyes: *giggles* ^^) as my mountain bike is too slow! *he he* :p

Hope to ride with you again soon roughingit! :)

~Liz ;)

Bug
08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Lonely chick!
Sorry for the delay ... work has been kicking my tooshie for the past few days. I ride anywhere from 23 - 200 miles. Shorter rides I average 18 -21, depending on those darn Willamette Valley winds! BUT THAT DOES NOT MATTER!!! Riding is meant to be fun and good company is hard to find. I would be honored to come over and ride around with you and will patiently wait until you have your bike up and rolling. My friend is the same pace.
E-mail:
K8bug@direcway.com
Stay safe!

Trek420
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
chick on a bike wrote "Yes, it went awesome!! :D :cool: I haven't had that much fun in a long time ^^"

looks like the title of this thread should change to "oh so happy in Corvalis" :) :p :D

chick on a bike
08-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi Lonely chick!
Sorry for the delay ... work has been kicking my tooshie for the past few days. I ride anywhere from 23 - 200 miles. Shorter rides I average 18 -21, depending on those darn Willamette Valley winds! BUT THAT DOES NOT MATTER!!! Riding is meant to be fun and good company is hard to find. I would be honored to come over and ride around with you and will patiently wait until you have your bike up and rolling. My friend is the same pace.
E-mail:
K8bug@direcway.com
Stay safe!

Hey Bug!! ^^

Sorry I've been delaying you with a response! :p My head has not been together for the past week it seems; just can't get my butt in gear, or do much with e-mail it seems. :p So, I'm writing now and that's what matters. ^^ *giggles*

Well if you'd like to ride with me at some point, I'd love it! ^^ I don't have a whole huge abundance of friends or for that matter, many that even ride bikes, so hooking up with a riding buddy is always welcome. :) Here's my e-mail address too if you'd like it. :) tgqroyal_enchantress@yahoo.com

For the past week and now on into this week (due to complications of the bf's car being in the shop) I've been up here in Hillsburo and haven't been home to Corvallis yet. But this week I'm planning on going back (have to as I need more meds; I'm running out! :p ); either Tuesday or Friday.... The weekend will probably be already spoken for is my guess...but next week, I'll probably be open to maybe do some riding...given I can get in some practice time on my ornery road bike. :rolleyes: *giggles* I keep you posted as to what I'm doing on my end. :)

chick on a bike
08-29-2005, 01:02 PM
chick on a bike wrote "Yes, it went awesome!! :D :cool: I haven't had that much fun in a long time ^^"

looks like the title of this thread should change to "oh so happy in Corvalis" :) :p :D

LOL!!! ^^ That is a good idea...but I think with the title as lonely, it may draw more people???? I don't know ~shrugs~.......But as for this post, the title will be that indeed. ^^ *giggles*

roughingit
08-30-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm back in town as well (rode off to Salem for a bit) and game too. :D

Sometime next week I'll have to go back up there. Bike Peddler's got my new shorter quill on order, so hopefully my elbows won't hurt as much on longish rides. I did get some nice thick Bar Phat put on while I was there though that has made my hands sooo much happier!

chick on a bike
09-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm back in town as well (rode off to Salem for a bit) and game too. :D

Sometime next week I'll have to go back up there. Bike Peddler's got my new shorter quill on order, so hopefully my elbows won't hurt as much on longish rides. I did get some nice thick Bar Phat put on while I was there though that has made my hands sooo much happier!

Oh goodie!!! I'm so happy for your hands!! And you too!!!! ^^ This next week I'll have my bike as tomorrow (Friday) I'll be coming back to Corvallis, so I get to break it in!!! :D

chick on a bike
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I have my road bike!! It's in servicable order (may need a briefe lookin' over at the LBS) and tomorrow I hope to take it out for a ride!! :D I briefly took it out today just a little ways up the road, then down and the gears really aren't as difficult as I thought I guess; just kinda intimidating maybe because they're the complete opposite of what I'm used to...and they're on a road bike...not a mountain! *lol* I'll probabaly end up looking a bit rediculous at first as there's foot sturups on the peddals too.....quite the tricky things in my book! *giggles* :p

I'll let y'all know how my ride goes!! ^^

Hugs and kisses!

drplasma64
09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Congrats! And be careful with the toe clips - they do take a bit of getting used to.

chick on a bike
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Well,

I finally got my butt in gear and took my bike out !?!yesterday!?! (the day before like I was going to, I got messed up so it didn't happen :mad: ), and wow! :eek: Why didn't I have one years ago??? Or right...never thought of it, never had the money, and I thought the bikes looked wierd. :rolleyes: Course back then I was young and stupid...*lol* But anyway, the ride was awesome, the gears were easy to figure out and I was really rather comfortable the whole way; even in the stupid toe sturups that are still on the pedals were workable. ^^ Kind of a different feeling but in some wierd way...I like 'em. :rolleyes:

The best thing about the whole ride was I found that it pulled me up tighter in the legs and butt and faster than my mnt bk does, so therefore, I really like my road bike...now, I just need to get another one....preferably a 30 speed!! *lol* I know, I don't want much! ^^ *giggles* The bike does need a little bit of work on the back derailluer as it's not wanting to shift all the way down into the hardest gear everytime I ask it to, but that's minor and from what my BF says, he can fix it. Personally, I think it's a guy thing! *lol* But if he can't, then it's going to Corvallis Cyclery. :D

So that's the way it is; I'm in love with the bike!!! *giggles* And so in love, I'm already itching for an upgrade! *he he* I'm hopeless... :rolleyes:

Hugs and kisses to all! ^^

roughingit
09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Ooh what fun! Congrats!

chick on a bike
09-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Ooh what fun! Congrats!

Yes, now you and me (and a few others) just need to get together again. :)

~Liz :D

roughingit
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Hehe, I'm up in Salem this week, but once I figure out my schedule for next week I'd love to! Sounds like we could have a nice sized group if we can all co-ordinate!

chick on a bike
09-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah....co-ordinate is right...*lol* ^^ We should start a TE group ride for our area! :) At least we know we could keep up! :D *lol*

~Liz :rolleyes:

drplasma64
09-22-2005, 04:03 PM
FYI- I just emailed the group co-ordinator for mid-willamette bicycle club, to ask about what was a "moderate" paced group ride (the 10 AM Sat no drop rides) - he said that they average 11-12 mph, which seems do-able after I get my derailers on the road bike fixed. On the hybrid, I averaged a measly 10.5 mph for a 25 mile ride last weekend - but I'm getting better!

I know we all talked before about feeling intimidated by the group ride, but maybe we should reconsider, or set a goal for joining them sometimes in the spring.

chick on a bike
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Oh cool! ^^ I'm glad you're getting better at your rides. =) I have no idea how fast I move.....I wish I did....It's really irritating sometimes because you know you've gotta be movin' fast but you have no idea how fast you're actually going because you don't have a computer. I need to get one, but there's always a road block called 'money'. :p *he he*

Before I could join a club ride, I'll have to be more adjusted to my road bike as right now my knee is giving me fits of the transition... :/ I know it'll go away, it'll just take time. :p And I hate waiting. :rolleyes: ~annoyed grumbles~

roughingit
09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Hmmmm....perhaps I should go give it a try then. That pace doesn't sound too bad at all. I have to struggle to keep at the 15 mph mark, but the around 10 mile mark is much more do-able. They leave from the Beanery right?

I went and retrieved my old bike from storage, walked there and then rode it home since it was the last thing in there.....holy crap! It was sooooo much more wobbly and unstable than my current bike. I had no idea! Still gotta swap pedals, then it goes up for sale. Maybe I can keep just one starving student from getting a Huffy lol.

drplasma64
09-23-2005, 08:45 PM
I think the early rides leave from the Beanery. I *think* the 10 AM ride (which is what I asked him about, no-drop, 25-35 miles to be determined) leaves from the Osborne Aq Center.

Yeah, I think if I can do 10.5 mph on a hybrid, that once I get my road bike fixed up (after the bike maintenence class), I probably would average a few more mph just from changing bikes.

So I'm planning/hoping on doing 41 miles on Nov 5 to celebrate my birthday. I'll probably do a philomath to corvallis loop, and then an extra loop around town, if anyone cares to join me for all or part. Or for breaks :)

roughingit
09-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Yep, just checked their web site, Osborn it is! I even got up on time this time :) If I'm not working, I'd be game to join ya for a celebratory ride!

roughingit
09-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Woo-hoo! That was great! We went to on old mill in Shedd that is being turned into a state park and got an awesome tour, then rode home via Tangent. It's a nice friendly group and the pace was good. I was up with the speedsters of the group even! Here I was being worried about being dropped lol! I must say though, that's the first time I've ever done a long ride with no load (didn't have my four panniers on) and daggone is the bike faster that way!

drplasma64
10-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Hey Gals - this week I'm taking the bike maintenance class offered by OSU ORC and Corvallis P & R. It's pretty informative, but not very hands on yet...we keep running out of time! But great demonstrations, and we got a copy of the Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance Book.

Anyhow, did you know that there is a bike repair shop on campus? It's at the back of Dixon - it is a place for DIY, but they have a mechanic on duty who will teach you stuff so you can do it. They have all the tools, stands, parts washers, grease, lube, etc. and can sell you cables, housing, break pads, tubes and other small do-dads. Pricing on tubes is $2, which beats the heck out of the bike stores in town. The bike shop is open to the public- check it out if you're in the area!

chick on a bike
10-14-2005, 12:43 PM
$2.00 for a bike tube!?!?!?!? :eek: Do what!?!?! :eek: ...... :D !!Sweet!!?!...... >=) I did not know that there was such a place on campus....I've only just started riding around in that area and it's only to go through the bike path.... Hmmmm, I'll have to remember that one. :)

Also, to everyone, I have finally gotten to the point where I can ride for longer distances......I actually rode about 85 miles last week......the first day I hit 40 miles about and was still raring to go. :eek: *giggles* Then the day after that, I hit about 45 I'm thinking..........either way...that's quite the change from going 20...then to 30..... I'm so excited that I can actually go that far as I never thought that to be possible. And the best part is, is that while out the last ride, I wa given a compliment by a lady in a red VW Bug, that I had inspired her to start riding her bike....she was impressed that I was out riding, and also going so far. I was so flattered! ^^ But hey, at least I'm made a difference to that one person. :) :D

Also from riding those longer miles, my legs and butt are looking so good! ~ornery giggles~ WooHoo!!! ^^ My butt has shape and gettin' smaller and my legs have nice shape and are getting smaller! :D If only I could have had a rode bike years ago!!! *lol* :rolleyes: Had I only known...~big grin~ :cool:

~Liz ;)