PDA

View Full Version : Who's doing the Chilly Hilly?

Susan126
01-19-2003, 08:13 AM
I'm doing it with my hubby and 7 friends! Anyone else planning to ride on Sunday, February 23 in the 31st Chilly Hilly?

Sue

MM_QFC!
01-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'll be riding it again Sue...but I think I'll avoid the mob-scene on the ferry over from Seattle though; I'm going to head down to the start from the Edmonds-Kingston end.
Sounds like you've got a good group set up...have fun and maybe I'll see you on the road!

Susan126
02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
I'll be riding a red women specific design 2200 trek bike. My husband will be on a blue trek bike. Look for us! What will you be riding?

I have never done the Chilly Hilly and I am very excited. This year Joe and I are going to ride in a lot of events. We want to ride as much and as often as possible. We love to ride and we can't get enough of it! It looks like this weekend will be beautiful here in the pacific northwest! So I hope everyone in this area will be outside enjoying their bikes and the weather!

Sue :)

MM_QFC!
02-07-2003, 07:44 AM
For sure, it'll be a great weekend to ride out here! Right now I'm trying to figure out how early I can get done with work and get out there today!

Re: Chilly Hilly - it may very well be a crowd scene but I'll keep an eye out for you/your bikes. I ride a Rodriguez - deep purple and teal with a couple of shamrock decals on the seat tube. Maybe at finish line party? :)

Well, if you want to ride lots, you're in a great area for it; some great supported rides coming up and in every direction ...keep an eye out for info in local cycling publications, online and if you go to Bike Expo in Seattle in a few weeks, there's a ton more information on rides, equip, trips, everything!
Mary

Susan126
02-07-2003, 03:34 PM
I hope that you did manage to get out of work early today! It's always nice whenever that happens and you can squeeze a nice ride in. Especially on an afternoon like this one. I was having my doubts earlier, about whether or not the sun would make an appearance .... the fog sure was thick this morning/afternoon and I didn't think it would ever burn off. But finally around 3:00, here in Bonney Lake, the sun finally came through and the last of the fog was gone!

Deep purple and teal with shamrocks on the seat tube! And a nice Rodriguez to boot! I'll keep my eyes peeled. Oh for sure Joe and I are going to the Bike Expo! Wouldn't miss that!

I'm excited about riding this weekend! :D Yippeeeeeeee!

Sue

MM_QFC!
02-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Yup, I'm glad I put my bike on the car this morning...it was nippy so I'm glad I had layers too, but so good to get out in the sun, even for a short ride.
Sounds like you've heard of Rodriguez...not too many folks have..only made/available at a great local bike shop (I got to visit my tubes and hold my newborn unpainted frame - fun!) and since the owner designed a womens frame I decided to get a custom road bike when I got hooked on riding...well worth it to have a bike that fits ME!

For another fun ride, you and your husband might want to consider heading north for the McClinchy Mile...it's on the Sat closest to St Patrick's Day next month...here's the link:
http://www.bikesclub.org/html/mcclinchy.html
several loops beginning in Monroe, and all are beautiful and well-supported by the Everett cycling club...
Glad to hear you're planning to go to Expo...if I don't catch up w/you at Chilly Hilly, I'll be volunteering for Cascade on Sat AM at Expo, for event registrations...
Have a great weekend, Sue!

Susan126
02-07-2003, 09:45 PM
A friend I bike with has a rodriguez. She is small/petite and her bike was made just for her. She said they measured her everywhere to make sure the fit was perfect and she said it is. She loves her rodriguez.

Thanks for the link Mary! This is perfect! Now I have something for each month through July! February we will the start the biking season with the Chilly Hilly, for March we can do the McClinchy Mile, April there's the Daffodil Classic, May we are driving to Montana to do the TORSV-West, June the Flying Wheels Summer Century and July the STP! I told Joe this is the year we are going to ride in as many events as possible. :D

I will definitely look for you and your rodriguez at the Chilly Hilly but if I don't see you I will stop by Cascade's booth and say hello.

You have a great weekend too, Mary!

MM_QFC!
02-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Hey Sue,

OK, so the subject line may be enthusiastically overstating it - just a touch - but I get passion points for my custom-fitted Rodriguez road steed, right?! I'm not surprised that your friend feels the same...not only did the owner (a cycling champ herself) design a women's frame that they build in the frame shop on-site, but, as a rule, they utilize the bike-fit too.

Sounds like you have a fun "event a month" to happily anticipate...enjoy!

Didn't get too sunny today; I'm hoping the fog breaks tomorrow. I'm near the water in Edmonds, so I'm used to a thick marine layer that doesn't lift till later than other areas, but am antsy to ride with the sun on my face again!

Happy trails!
Mary

Susan126
02-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Oh my friend does love her rodriguez! :) Man does she love it! When Joe and I were looking for new bikes last summer she kept insisting a rodriguez was the bike for me. And if we had the money I probably would have bought one. But we had to buy two bikes, one for hubby and one for me, and our youngest will be going off to college this fall. So we're saving for that big expense! But I'm happy with my WSD 2200 trek.

I told Joe about keeping my eyes peeled for your bike at the Chilly Hilly and he swears he saw it when we rode in the Kitsap Color Classic in October. Did you ride in the KCC or is Joe delusional?

Fog! Thick as pea soup over here, too. It never did burn off. I want to feel the sun on my face again, too! Maybe if we're lucky it will burn off tomorrow! I swear if it's sunny on Monday I may be very tempted to call in sick! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

Sue

MM_QFC!
02-08-2003, 08:45 PM
laughing and thinking that I should just say that it wasn't my bike that Joe saw at the KitsapCC; I was there (volunteered on the Edmonds registrations since my friend was the event director and recruited a bunch of us to help) but didn't ride as I was just back from a 'monster multi-state ride' and taking it easy. I've done the KCC a number of times though and think it's a great ride...sure was terrific weather last year too, so I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
And, if you happen to fall ill suddenly, I think that you can trust that your secret is safe here!
Going on a long, flat ride tomorrow per the P.T.'s orders...hooking up with a few others who use her as a coach, so we can jointly whine all the way!

Susan126
02-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Oh yes, we really enjoyed the KCC! The weather was great as was the support and ride! Kudos to all the volunteers!

Well, Joe and I did a 45 mile road ride this afternoon. Brrrrrr was it cold in the beginning! We really layered ourselves. Booties, balaclava (spelling?), my lobster gloves, my performance triflex tights over my padded tights, vest and wind jacket! LOL But after 20 minutes we were warm and sweating. The only part of me that was cold were my eyeballs! LOL

It was a great ride until the end (41 miles behind us and 4 left to go). Joe's left thigh kept cramping. I think it was the cold. He had knee surgery 18 years ago when he was still in the army and ever since then that left knee and leg occasionally gives him trouble. Every spring it acts up until he can regain his conditioning.

P.T.'s order? Did you have an accident, Mary? I hope you're listening to your P.T. because they are great at what they do. My daughter had to go see one after she was in a car accident and she's recovered nicely thanks mainly to her physical therapist. Did you ride today or take a day off. I know you're going out tomorrow! Have fun .... and some whining can be good?!!!

Sue

MM_QFC!
02-10-2003, 02:44 PM
You're right - it sure was a cold ride yesterday! I bundled up too.
Glad to see that the sun is out early and strong today; hope we can count on it to do the same all week.

And no, luckily, I didn't have an accident; just have had knee problems/pain for years. I went to a number of PTs over time before finding my current and best one. She worked with me pre and post surgery and I credit her with my full recovery: no more right knee pain for me! She has also generously shared her expertise/experience and coached me to successfully meeting riding goals for the last few years too. And lucky for me, she's not only known knee pain, but is also a veteran rider and triathlete herself. So, you can tell by now, that you were preaching to the choir on physical therapy!
Mary

Susan126
02-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Mary, I'm glad that you have such a great P.T.! And a veteran rider and triathlete to boot! :) I bet you're amazing on your bike! I probably couldn't keep up with you!

Isn't it wonderful to see the sun again? I just hope it will be out for the Chilly Hilly!

11 days and counting!

Sue

MM_QFC!
02-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Yep, I'm glad to have a terrific PT too, although she's the amazing pro on her bike, not me!
Too nice out today to stay in the office any longer...off to ride!
Yeah, keep your fingers, toes, etc crossed for similar weather for Chilly Hilly - that'd be an unexpected treat!
Mary

MM_QFC!
02-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Finally, it's not a long-range forecast and it's looking great: sunny and 45/50 degrees for Sunday's ride! It'll still be chilly early on and the "hilly" is a given no matter the weather, but so nice to look forward to a break in the rain. Let's ride!

Susan126
02-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Mary,
I've been watching the forecast all week long. If I didn't like kiro 7's outlook I would check king or komo! But today's 5 day forecast, as you said, looks good for Sunday. A high pressure front is building which means nice weather. Chilly mornings (maybe fog) but nice afternoons! Yippee! I'm ready! Joe and I went to the Seattle REI on Sunday where we picked up our race packets! On Chilly Hilly day we are meeting friends at 8 am on the Seattle side where we will catch the 8:45 ferry to Bainbridge Island! I'm sooooooo excited! I'm taking my camera, too! Hope to run into you on Sunday!

Sue:D

MM_QFC!
02-19-2003, 05:49 PM
Hey Susan -
Chuckling to myself here when I read your post, because if you stopped by the packet pickup between 2-4 on Sunday, there's a good chance I handed it to you, as that's when I was volunteering!
As it turns out, I'll be starting from Winslow too, but it looks like you'll get out on the route a bit earlier...remember to stretch on the ferry and have a great ride; I'll watch for you!
Mary

Susan126
02-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Mary,

I wish I would have known! Darn! We got there about noon and stayed and browsed until about 1:00 or 1:30 before we left. If I had known you were going to be there I would have stayed. Yep, we got our packets and our t-shirts!

I'll watch for you, too! :)

Sue

waterlilli
02-27-2003, 05:59 PM
How did it go?

MM_QFC!
02-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Hiya waterlilli...(up in the tulip fields, eh?)

It was an all-around terrific day - weather was spectacular, about 4,000 riders, no rain gear necessary, low traffic volumes, and welcoming islanders (lots of roadside stands with kids selling gatorade, etc).
The ride lived up to its name as well as reputation as a cycling classic; all in all a great start to a hoped for terrific season!

There's a good one that is held annually up your way by the Skagit bike club...a few loops out of Burlington in early May. Have you done that one?
Mary

Susan126
02-27-2003, 08:52 PM
We had a great time. The day was wonderful, it was sunny and bright. The course lived up to it's name. Very hilly but I made every single one! I did not walk at all but pedaled my way to the top of every hill that the Chilly Hilly had! Everyone in our group had a great time!

Sue

http://www.stmcc.org/images/chilly%20hilly/bright_and_sunny.jpg