PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive but decent sunglasses?

Looeez
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I need to buy some sunglasses that are better at preventing glare. Cycling home from work tonight at around 7pm I could see absolutely nothing due to the brightness of the sun low in the sky. I had been cycling with my back to the sun but then had to look that direction to check for traffic before making a left turn. Quite scary.

I was wearing my usual, old Raybans and they were pretty useless. I'm not sure what to look in glasses to prevent this problem. Is there a particular colour of lense that is better? Also what do you think of polaroid lenses? It's hard to know when trying them on in a shop if they are actually going to work for those conditions.

I'm trying to cut back on expenses after buying a new bike today so I'm not looking to buy expensive, cycling specific glasses, but rather hoping to get something cheaper that will work. Also, I cycle in my regular clothes and so I'd prefer a style that isn't all sporty although if they were effective and cheap that would work!

Any recommendations on brands or advice on what to look for?

nerdgirl
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I am a big fan of Tifosi. They're affordable and easy to find. I have some for day riding (though sometimes they stay on my head and get worn when I'm not riding ;) ), and a pair for trail riding at night. Both have Fototec, which is really nice.

http://www.tifosoptics.com

Looeez
09-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Thank you for mentioning these. I hadn't heard of this brand before and when I checked out their website I thought for sure they'd be out of my price range but there are some good deals online. I think I'll look for a local dealer so I can try some on and see how they feel.

Kiwi Stoker
09-11-2009, 02:00 AM
Safety glasses are great as well. They come in various lens types (light mirror, amber, yellow, dark etc) and are cheap enough to have several pairs. They are also impact resistant which is very important for flying stones etc and accidents- I skidded along on my face in my accdent and my glasses saved my eyebrow and my eye.

They come in all different styles now- not just the geeky lab coat style, in fact Uvex makes safety gear AND cycle helmets and cycle glasses. I also know that Bolle had such success with a safety style they ended up selling it as a normal sunglasses .

So check out your local safety equipment store- you might find something there....

kermit
09-11-2009, 05:10 AM
I bought a pair of Tifosi's and the automatic darkening is great. They are somethimes not dark enough on really bright days but they work. Another suggestion is what I used to use. Go to Wal-mart in the fishing section, for $10.95 get a pair or two of their polarized fishing glasses. Great for cycling.

OakLeaf
09-11-2009, 05:19 AM
I think when you're staring directly into the sun, nothing but polarized glasses will help. Lots of people love them, but I can't tolerate the halos and distortions, especially when they're amplified through the visor of a mc helmet - they make me nauseous. I'd say, if you want to try polarized lenses, get yourself a $15 drugstore pair to try out and see if the glare reduction is worth the "shimmer."

These (http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=4537175&PMT4NO=70451930) are the sunglasses I wear, $8 a pair when I order a dozen (or $9 in smaller quantities). They come in smoke, amber and clear, and unlike most safety glasses, they (1) come in a smaller size to fit a woman's or youth's face and (2) look like perfectly normal sunglasses that I wear all the time.

But they're not much use when I'm riding/driving directly into the sun, as happens a lot this time of year.

tulip
09-11-2009, 06:01 AM
Make sure that the sunglasses you buy have UVA and UVB protection. Otherwise, you could damage your eyes. The darkened lenses make your pupils open, and without UVA/UVB protection, you could suffer damage. Pupils naturally close in light for protection.

OakLeaf
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Good point.

Polycarbonate lenses naturally block UV. Polarized glass lenses need to have a UV-blocking coating (and obviously glass lenses aren't the safest choice for sports). Polarized polycarbonate lenses tend to be expensive.

ETA:

From Eye Care Professional magazine: (http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2009/04apr/content/through_the_lens/truth-polarized-lenses.asp)

Although the benefits of polarization are excellent for almost all patients and outdoor activities, some visual activities may be hampered by polarization. Pilots who operate aircraft with polycarbonate or tempered-glass windshields may be distracted by the stressed, checkerboard pattern that may appear in the material. Activities that may require use of a LCD screen may also be hampered by polarized lenses since LCD screens operate by polarizing light. An additional activity that may pose a danger to individuals wearing polarized lenses is downhill skiing. Glare for high speed skiers is a safety asset due to its ability to alert skiers to ice patches and bumps on a ski slope.

So in addition to the nausea-inducing properties I referenced, they could keep you from seeing your computer. I would think that the ability to see reflected glare from ice and water puddles would be an issue on the bici, too.

Ja Da Dee
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Tifosi's with the automatic darkening

+1

My husband really likes these.

n8chergirl
09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
they are really cheap and work great for me!! good luck!
Anna

tzvia
09-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I've got several Tifosi, and bought a 4 lens Serfas (polarized, brown, clear and yelow) that I also like. Polarized lenses work best at a 90 deg angle to the glare source; staring into the direction of the sun you will be using the tint of the glasses but not the polarization. So I use the brown tinted ones or the polarized and they work fine until the sun is setting and I am looking in the sun's direction and shadows are long. Then I find they are too dark for all but the sun itself, which I am not going to try and stare down anyway. So I use the yellow tint which makes it easier to see in the shade on those evening rides (the sun may be bright, but what you are seeing in front of it is not and may be in shadow.) The yellow is also good on overcast days, to increase contrast.