PDA

View Full Version : No reservations - spinning classes

e.e.cummings
09-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I just came away from a gym that has spinning classes (I am shopping for a gym). I know NOTHING about spinning class, but I am dying to try. I don't know the etiquette, I am totally green. The first thing I was surprised at was that you could not reserve a space, you have to show up probably one half hour before to get a 'card'. So the first thing I find out is that it is not like booking my pilates class where I can call up and reserve a space. Is this normal procedure? Seems like a waste of time if I race home from work to find out that it is full already (to make their 6:00pm class). I told the sales rep that this was not a great selling point for me, but they say it is the norm with their gyms (which is a national chain).

Anything else to expect in a spinning class that an ordinary person might not know?

tulip
09-10-2009, 04:12 PM
sign-ups vary by gym. Some are first-come, first-served. Others you have to call to reserve a spot, and others have a card system like you mentioned. If classes are that full, it seems reasonable that the gym should offer more classes, like two in a row (and not allow fanatics to stay for both classes). Even better would to have simultaneous classes, but that gets pricey with buying all new bikes.

Once you do go to a spin class, here are my suggestions:

-wear cycling shorts and wicking shirt
-bring three bottles of whatever you like to drink. Drink one bottle before the class, one during, and one after.
-Bring a snack to eat after the class on your way home
-bring a small towel and keep it on your bars because you will sweat
-don't forget to wipe down your bike after the class (unless the gym staff does that for you)
-bring earplugs. Some instructors crank the music up way too much, or you might find yourself right underneath a ceiling speaker, or the music might really suck.
-it's hard. Start slow and if the instructor is any good, he or she will be helpful if you talk to them before the class. They'll set you up properly on the bike
-remember or write down the bike settings
-have fun!

Possegal
09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
My gym you call up that day - after 12 noon for the after work classes. If I had to be there 30 min prior to get a bike, I'd never go to spin. :) I think that is what my work gym spin classes are like, though the time is 15 min prior. But that isn't so bad since I'm just a building away. But I don't much like those classes and prefer my main gym's ones, so I call during lunch and reserve a bike.

Zen
09-10-2009, 06:29 PM
^ Mine is like that too.
I'd look for another gym.

OakLeaf
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
My gym charges extra for ICE (a competitor of Spinning®). You can sign up for an 8-week program, I think it's two or three classes a week, which guarantees you a slot, otherwise it's first come-first served.

It probably varies a lot by gym.

I don't spin (I need shorter crankarms, the one thing on those bikes that isn't adjustable), so not much help here - but depending on the gym, the bikes and the amount of time between classes, you may be able to bring your own pedals and saddle/seatpost. Some gyms have SPD pedals on their bikes, so if that's what you use you could wear your own shoes.

Definitely shop around.

maryellen
09-11-2009, 04:35 AM
Ha ha, I was unhappy when my gym switched from its old system of showing up early to sign up for a spin bike to its current on-line booking system. I guess you can't please everyone.

Resi
09-11-2009, 06:33 AM
When our gym first opened, people where standing in line to get a bike, no call or card system. But now, the classes are not full anymore, the reason LOL... our instructors are not good...also the bikes are crapy...(big chain gym)

I go only to the spin class when it is super cold or raining, the real thing... biking outside.

You guy's are lucky if the demand is so big, I guess your insturctors are better...

Resi

copperlegend
09-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Spinning is what perked my interest in bikes!

It's first come-first serve for bikes but i've never not gotten a bike. I think it's pretty standard honestly.

e.e.cummings
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses, particularly the pointer on what to do in the class, that will help. I have looked all over and I have not found anything better that is convenient location-wise so I am going to take my chances with this one for now. I have a decent cancellation policy if things go really badly, but from what I have seen I think (hope) I will be okay.

e.e.cummings
09-22-2009, 02:26 AM
After doing five classes I am finding that the card system is not so bad (mind you, we have not hit the bad weather yet which produces more crowds). I guess that one advantage of the card system is that someone cannot reserve a bike over the phone or on-line and then not show up - you actually have to show up which is part of the challenge for some, it means that a bike won't sit empty. Let's see how I feel the drive all the way there and there are no spaces! But they say they will add classes when it gets busy. We'll see.

It has been great so far - I love the differences between the instructors. It keeps it interesting.

misty7746
09-23-2009, 04:44 PM
To locate an official Spinning® facility, go to www.spinning.com. You'll find that these facilities teach the Spinning® program which are taught by great instructors who are trained through the creators of Spinning®, Mad Dogg Athletics.

Miranda
09-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Glad you are enjoying class so far. I recently had a crash on my road bike, so haven't been doing much of anything lately, but normally I teach Spinning at my gym. I will also give up my instructor bike to someone before I would turn them away. It is possible to coach the entire class off-the-bike.

Prior to my teaching, I knew the gym had some different ways to get your bike too. Now, it's the first come first serve basis by showing up. The rule generally is though, you need to be back in the room on your bike to ride when class starts... or very shortly there after (like you place your water bottle and/or towel on the bike you selected to ride & leave the room).

We've had the problem where people try to hold for a friend that is "supposedly" showing up for class, and then not.

Or worst was before I became an instructor some other teaches (non spinners usually, teach aerobics etc.) had held their bikes, then showed back up to class after 15mins of start. The teacher told me to just take their bikes. They expected them back. Now, mind you, as an instructor, you get a basic membership free at my place. I was paying. I was so mad. I did not give it up!

Actually, what is suppose to happen is that an instructor if just participating in the class that is full, you are suppose to give up your spot to a paying memeber if they show.

This will be my first winter Spinning since I became an instuctor. Sure I will have that situation present itself. I would graciously give up my spot. I think it sets a leadership tone that you are supportive of general participants efforts.

:)Happy Spinning!

nscrbug
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
At my gym, it depends on the instructor giving the class. For the most part, it's a first-come, first-served basis. We only have 2 spinning instructors - one has a "cult-like" following and her classes will always fill up quickly....the other instructor, is not as "motivating" and enthusiastic...therefore, there is usually open bikes in her class and no need to arrive early. But the "good" instructor, has 1 class on Tuesday mornings that is SO popular, that you have to stand in line 1/2 hour before the class and get a poker chip to reserve your spot. This is at a Ballys Total Fitness...can't speak for any other gyms, as this is the only gym I've been to.

e.e.cummings
09-29-2009, 02:28 AM
After being a this gym for three weeks now, and taking 3-4 spinning classes a well, I notice that there are preferred instructors - one who is really incredible. I was told Wednesday was a slow day for gym traffic, but there are no empty bikes on her Wednesday evening class!

Just bought cycling shoes - what a difference it makes....

e.e.cummings
01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Follow-up to this post - I am now five months into being a loyal attendee of my spinning class, and I have to admit, the card system has worked (and we are into winter, when the numbers are up - but they have added classes).

I have also had a chance to evaluate the instructors with a little bit more thought, now that I have heard on this site what is good form and bad form. There was an instructor that I used to think was rather boring, but she had good music. Why did I think she was boring? Because the others would throw in all of those push-ups, etc. into their routines which I thought added variety and made time go faster, while she is a real purist, following the 'rules of the road', and I have to admit, I get the better workout from her class (according to how I feel and my heart monitor).