PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather and heart rate/puking?

Dianyla
07-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Well, summer was bound to arrive here to Portland eventually. I'd really been enjoying the long cool wet spring we've had. :(

Anyway, I didn't just come here for sympathy, I actually have a question. The other night I climbed up The Hill in my neighborhood (2 miles, 14% grade). I have climbed this hill a few times in the past though it's not something I do regularly, and I just go down to one of my lowest gears, spin, and breathe as calmly as possible until I creep to the top at about 4 mph.

Last night it was still warm after a hot day, probably at least 85 still. I'm in better shape than I was a few months ago when I first went up this hill, and yet I reached 'puke stage' twice and had to stop and stand for a few minutes. I don't use a heart rate monitor (yet) but it felt like it got pretty high and I couldn't seem to keep it down by controlled breathing and pacing my exertion.

Other suspicious factors include pigging out and having a (1) glass of wine about 6 hours earlier and then not having much to eat in the 4 hours preceding the ride. Or is it possibly just because of the heat?

Saxa82
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Same thing happened to me yesterday on a hill I've gone up many times, though it's real tough ( one half mile but double digit percentage). Here in NYS it has been hazy, hot, and humid these last few days. I totally bonked on this hill- analyzing it later made me think it was more heat related than low blood sugar (which might have been a factor as well, since I was shaking). I do not do well in the heat. I usually give up running in the summer and concentrate just on biking because it is just a tad cooler to be on a bike than to be on foot.

Lynne
07-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, summer was bound to arrive here to Portland eventually. I'd really been enjoying the long cool wet spring we've had. :(

Anyway, I didn't just come here for sympathy, I actually have a question. The other night I climbed up The Hill in my neighborhood (2 miles, 14% grade). I have climbed this hill a few times in the past though it's not something I do regularly, and I just go down to one of my lowest gears, spin, and breathe as calmly as possible until I creep to the top at about 4 mph.

Last night it was still warm after a hot day, probably at least 85 still. I'm in better shape than I was a few months ago when I first went up this hill, and yet I reached 'puke stage' twice and had to stop and stand for a few minutes. I don't use a heart rate monitor (yet) but it felt like it got pretty high and I couldn't seem to keep it down by controlled breathing and pacing my exertion.

Other suspicious factors include pigging out and having a (1) glass of wine about 6 hours earlier and then not having much to eat in the 4 hours preceding the ride. Or is it possibly just because of the heat?

Yeah, I also think it's the heat. Yesterday was race day at PIR. I'm not a hot weather person, so I went just to ride around before-hand and watch the BF race. Prior to last week's race, the max HR I'd hit was 186, and that was really pushing it up a hill. Last night just riding around the track (albeit as quickly as I could), I hit 189. I'm sure if I'd raced I'd have hit better than the 193 from last week.

I think there are cold-weather people and hot weather people. If you feel anything like I do in the heat (just let me sleep), then I'd bet that's it

runnergirl
07-19-2005, 06:25 PM
I think aclimation (sp?) has a lot to do with it. If it hasn't been 85 for the last few weeks, you can't expect the same performance.

I'm originally from the Seattle area, and the heat of tidewater Virginia was a real shock the first summer. I run/ride outside all summer, generally I can ride in weather that I can't run in-the cooling effect of moving air.

TrekChick
07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
Wow, 85° would be a cool day for me! Here in Bakersfield, CA, we haven't seen daytime highs under 103° in the last two weeks. Our overnight LOW is in the low 80°'s. I'm jealous :o !
But, heat is relative. Yes, the first hot day this year (the weather service said it was 98°, but the on-the-ride-telemetry said 102°) was definately a high-heart-rate/puke-ride for me. I do use a HRM, and can tell you the heat definately affects heart rate. In the winter, when it's in the 60°'s, my average heart rate is 5-10 bpm lower than in the summer, and my average speed is 1-1.5 mph faster.

My advice (for whatever it's worth ;) ):
1) drink fluids throughout the day before you ride ("hydrate or die!", as they say);
2) replace electrolytes - drink a sports drink in addition to water when you are riding, and also after the ride;
3) it's okay to go slower - you are still getting a good workout - go with your perceived exertion;
4) remember, after a few days in the hotter temps, you will acclimate - it took me three weeks this year (must be 'cause I'm older this year - ha!)
5) lay off the alcohol, both before and after a ride. Before a ride, it'll dehydrate you. And, I've noticed if I have a drink after a ride, I can actually feel my legs start aching.

Happy riding!!!
~~~~~TrekChick

triflor
01-24-2006, 03:11 PM
its winter now so hopefully this isn't a big problem for anyone now, but the other day here in montreal there was a smog warning despite it being January, which reminds me of hot summer rides.
If the air quality is bad it also plays into the heat/sickness issue. I know this is definately a bigger issue here in the east than out west but just keep it in mind.