PDA

View Full Version : Question for any spinning instructor

Irulan
01-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Maybe I'm approaching it all wrong in thinking that somehow a spinning class should have some resemblance to a real ride?

What I really want to know is what's up with stand and grind?
There are a few instructors (not all) that are really into this. I refuse to do it because I NEVER grind... horrible for my knees as I've learned the hard way.

I love the endurance, cadence and steady standing intense climbs but stand and grind (slow push) forget it.

Irulan

Veronica
01-15-2003, 03:09 PM
A lot of the time I do my own thing in class. It's at 5:30 AM and the instructor is pretty cool with it. I never stand and run anymore, it's not a motion I can duplicate on the tandem (the bike I usually ride outside). So when the class is doing that I do a high cadence spin or turn it into a standing climb.

Every now and then I'll tell her why I'm doing what I'm doing. She doesn't ride outside and she respects that I'm trying to better my outside riding not just burn calories. Hopefully your instructors will feel the same.

Veronica

spinner777
01-16-2003, 12:00 PM
What exactly do you mean by stand and grind? I am a certified spinning instructor and have never heard of that before. I have been teaching for 7 years. That is definitly not in the instructors manual as an actual move.

One thing I can tell you is if it dosen't seem right, don't do it!

I would like to know what that stand and grind is, can you please post again?

spinner777

Irulan
01-16-2003, 03:12 PM
describe stand and grind....hmmm.

OK, if it were real life biking it would be the biggest gear combo. pushing really hard, at a slow almost unrhytmic cadence. Maybe <40 strokes per minute? Anyway... it's like those guys you see trrying to climb a hill, grunting as they push their way up the hills. You'd probaly say, "there's a knee waitng to blow" when you see it.

In the class, it translates to lots of resistance on the wheel, very slow, standing cadence. The first time I ever took a spin class I just followed the instructor's pace, and had knee pain that I hadn't had in 4 years. That was the last time I did that! I know much better know to listen to my body.

Now some of the spin class leaders are really good, but there are some I almost ignore. I love the standing climbs but I refuse to go there when they want tons of resistance and a slllooooww cadence. What feels good to me is to set it for how it would feel on a long steady ( endurance) climb that I have in my head from "real" rides I do.

So- other than just what I experience in the class, how can I tell who is a good instructor? Are there different certifications? I'm at a 24 hour fitness if that makes any difference. What does one look for in a spin class? Should my gym be providing a clock with a second hand for HR monitoring?

Sorry for all the questions but there are some days I just wonder. But we have some really great class leaders too.

FWIW for real riding I am a mountain biker only.

Irulan

spinner777
01-17-2003, 04:05 AM
In my honest opinion instructors shouldn't tell anyone to put so much restiance on their bike that they can hardly ride. So with that, just do what you feel comfortable doing.

There are different certifications, in order to actually instruct a true spinning class. The instructor shold have been certifed through Madd Dog Athletics. They will have a JGSI# if they did and you can ask the instructoe if they have that. Also you should be riding on the actual spinning bike. There ar so many other indoor cyclying type classes I couldn't even begin to name them all. A couple are CYcle Rebook, Kiser and Pace Line. As for HR training, YES your instructor should be giving you gidelines for your rides. Most instructors talk about the importance of having a HR monitor while you ride. You can check out more about that and anything else you want to know about Spinning at:

www.spinning.com.

Hope this helps.
Spinner777

han-grrl
01-17-2003, 05:49 AM
I have been teaching Spinning since november. I don't have my class grind, but i make them work :p

i give heart rate suggestions, and RPM suggestions. I don't believe in that "can barely pedal mode". In my spinning course we were taught cadences should be no lower that 60 RPM and really no higher than 110 RPM. So that is the guideline i use. I try to add cadence checks during the class, to make sure people are pedalling at the appropriate RPM.

I also emphasize that everyone should go at their own pace.

I mountain bike, and spinning is really nothing like riding outside. it basically keeps your pedalling legs working, cardio in check , and those butt calices (sp?) solid so the seat don't hurt in the spring :D

happy spinning

Hannah

Irulan
01-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by han-grrl
I have been teaching Spinning since november. I don't have my class grind, but i make them work :p

i give heart rate suggestions, and RPM suggestions. I don't believe in that "can barely pedal mode". In my spinning course we were taught cadences should be no lower that 60 RPM and really no higher than 110 RPM. So that is the guideline i use. I try to add cadence checks during the class, to make sure people are pedalling at the appropriate RPM.

You sound like one of the GOOD ones!!!!
I love the cadence checks, and the cadence challenges.
I confess I watch single track videos before I go to class, and use a lot of visualations re: the pack I ride with to keep me interested.

Irulan

han-grrl
01-19-2003, 04:25 PM
That's great you use visualization. This is such an important part of training, that is so often neglected. Visualizing success over obstacle or completing distances or climbing hills helps build confidence on the bike. Unfortunately my students aren't too keen on the imagery and visualization. Practicing imagery and visualization on the spin bikes is ideal since well, you're moving you're legs, so you can picture what your path in front of you looks like in your head; what it is you want to accomplish.