PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q re: Hydration/electrolytes/carbs

CenturyGrrl
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
I've been reading through some very informative threads here, and it looks like y'all have some incredible accumulated knowledge.

So, my question seems incredibly basic, but I haven't found the answer in previous threads.

What am I looking for in a hydration/electrolyte/carb replacement products for long rides? (Doing the first of many centuries this month.) A liquid/powder additive that does it all? A chewable that supplies electrolytes + carbs? Or a combo of liquid electrolytes and solid sugar for energy?

I bought some Nuun tablets because I really like the flavors, but realized after reading some other threads that they're sugar-free, which means they won't be providing any energy.

Should I keep the Nuun in my water bottles for electrolytes, and chomp some of the Clif Shot Bloks for the carbs? Is the choice of liquid vs solid fuel a preference thing, or is one more efficient than the other?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

solveig
09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Hammer products, as they don't give the rush - crash cycle that simple sugars do. Their Heed drink mix is carbs and electrolytes, and it is nice for both shorter and longer rides. Their Perpetuem is designed for longer rides - 1.5 hours and up - and is carbs plus a little soy protein. I think it's tasty, especially the new Cafe Latte flavor, and it keeps me feeling full and fueled on longer rides. And no, I'm not on Hammer's payroll! :)

But whether you use a drink mix with both energy and electrolytes or liquid electrolytes with solid food / blocks / gel is really up to your personal preference.

Hope you have a great century!

ny biker
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Two things. First, you need to be properly hydrated. One bottle per hour minimum.

Second is nutrients. The form is not important, it's the quantity of things like calories and sodium that matter. The format is up to your personal preference.

I can't tolerate solid food on most bike rides, so I stick with Gatorade and Gu (regular and Roctane). Other people prefer to have regular food with or instead of gels and chews.

You do want to ingest things that are easy to digest, so limit the protein and fat content if you go with regular food. One benefit of electrolyte drinks, gels etc. is that they are formulated so that your body gets the nutrients into your system quickly.

You should experiment with different things while you train, and don't try anything new the day of the big event.

Good luck!

CenturyGrrl
09-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks! I have been experimenting during training, and found that the Gu gels make me gag, so those are out. The Clif Shots are okay, even if they do get a little sticky on hot days. For this ride, I will stick with the bloks and Nuun and then make a list of your other suggestions to try out for the next ride.

Actually, I just realized that the one thing I haven't tested out is pb&j sandwiches, which will be provided (I'm sure) at the rest stops. I'll be careful with those, don't want to suffer stomach cramps for 50 miles!

roadie gal
09-09-2009, 06:04 AM
I've been using Infinit. It's a custom energy/electrolyte powder that you mix with water. It sounds complicated but it's not. The website has a system of sliders and questions that help you make up the correct drink for you.

You can decide the amount of calories, type of carbs, amount of electrolytes, whether you want protein or not, and even the strength of the flavor. I love the flavor feature because I hate really sweet drinks after a few hours on a ride.

It costs about the same as the Hammer products.

Owlie
09-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I've never had any reason thus far to use Gu or the like, but for day-long fencing tournaments, I'd bring plenty of water (to go with what they provided), pretzels (carbs+salt), nuts (protein) and fruit of some description (usually apples or bananas). Obviously what you're going to be carrying around on a bike is going to be a little different from what you can carry in a gym bag, but something along those lines works if you want real food.

(I'm pretty sure that I'm going to try for real food when riding...the texture of some of those things--yuck!)

Medianox
09-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I am so new at this but here is what seems to work for me:
I take my bike bottle and fill it with 1/3 gatorade, 1/3 apple or grape juice (unsweetened) and 1/3 water. I just eyeball the amounts and it seems to be doing ok so far. Not very scientific but way tastier than plain gatorade alone.
I ride primarily in the very early morning and usually have a glass of milk and a luna bar pre-ride. For an extra boost (once again, not very scientific or trendy here just what works for me) I take a packet of fruit snacks and throw it in my undersaddle bag. We have 2 elementary aged boys and ALWAYS have fruit snacks around...the spongebob ones are my favs.
When I get back I usually make a fruit smoothie with a frozen banana, yogurt and a low carb high protein drink (muscle milk light for example or slimfast low carb).
Like I said, I'm pretty new to this and I'm sure I could be doing something better but this routine has seemed to work so far.