PDA

View Full Version : Sandals whilst mtn biking? Ya or Neh

crazycanuck
09-04-2009, 03:10 AM
I did a smidgen search on Keen or other Sandals here on TE but am unsure if i'm on the right track or not. I would like to purchase some cycling sandals for summer (I think it'll be here soon! :D) but before I do I need to ask some q's:

Do you wear cycling sandals whilst doing dirt time? How suitable are these types of shoes for rocks, grass trees & log overs?

Are they ok with Crank Bros pedals??

I know they're suitable for the road so I don't need that info..just for off road thanks

SadieKate
09-04-2009, 07:45 AM
They're probably fine as long as you stay on your bike and don't hit anything . . . .

No experience with them, but the thought of trying to thread a lava rock garden in sandals just makes me cringe.

We have super narrow trails where you almost always scrape the side of your foot on a log, even just lightly would do some damage. Once I thought I'd left my little toe behind.

They'll work fine with Crank Bros.

emily_in_nc
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Keens are absolutely fine with Crank Brothers pedals. Love 'em! I do ride mtb but not super technical (mostly double track trails and fire roads), and they are fine for that kind of riding. Maybe not so much for technical stuff...

crazycanuck
09-04-2009, 04:49 PM
SK-ya, most of our trails are rocky & wondered about that.

I guess i'd just wear them on my uni commute bike.

SadieKate
09-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, doubletrack and fireroads, they'd be nice.

szsz
09-04-2009, 08:03 PM
And of course on the beach! (Hard-pack, low-tide). But other than that and commuting, I won't wear them on the trails even though I love love love them.

ClockworkOrange
09-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Ummmm, until I joined this site I always wore my flip flops, yes I wear them all year round.

What really made me stop doing that was when I changed my pedals to DMR's. They have the little pins in them and one day, just pulling away up a slight hill and my flip flop came off, which then meant my bare foot was on the pedal, ouch!

Also, it did seem a bit stupid, so I now save those for when not riding.

Clock

Skierchickie
09-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd worry most about getting stuck in the foot by a stick or branch, more than scuffing against a rock. Most of my mtb riding is in the woods, though.

MartianDestiny
09-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Nope, not me.

Keens I guess would be ok as they do offer some protection, but on the trails I ride (technical, rocky singletrack) there's just no way I'm taking that risk. I knocked my pedal or foot no less than 5 times yesterday, once hard enough to dislodge a sizable rock and send it tumbling down the embankment.

I'd consider them for fireroad type riding and certainly commuting but not serious mountain biking.

tzvia
09-07-2009, 06:21 AM
An article I read in a MTB mag some years ago comes to mind, when they were answering a letter about fingerless vs full finger gloves. Their reply was to take pruning sheers and cut off the parts of your hands/fingers that you do not want to cover with gloves, as they are not important, then get gloves for what was left.

My MTB shoes are all scuffed up, and I wonder what my feet would look like had I worn sandals. And I'm no hard core rider. Funny, but my feet never feel hot, even when it is pushing 100f, and I never worry about them even when I crash. Good cycling shoes are worth every penny and sandals are for beach cruisers doing walking speed IMO.

SadieKate
09-08-2009, 08:47 AM
An article I read in a MTB mag some years ago comes to mind, when they were answering a letter about fingerless vs full finger gloves. Their reply was to take pruning sheers and cut off the parts of your hands/fingers that you do not want to cover with gloves, as they are not important, then get gloves for what was left.:D

I don't like longfingered gloves when it's hot, but sometimes you just have to wear them for those unplanned treehugging adventures.

MartianDestiny
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
:D

I don't like longfingered gloves when it's hot, but sometimes you just have to wear them for those unplanned treehugging adventures.

If I could find a pair of full fingered gloves that weren't at least an inch too long I'd consider them. Yes, women's smalls are that big, no, no-one around here carries decent full fingered kids gloves that I've found (cut-offs yes).

tzvia
09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
If I could find a pair of full fingered gloves that weren't at least an inch too long I'd consider them. Yes, women's smalls are that big, no, no-one around here carries decent full fingered kids gloves that I've found (cut-offs yes).

I've seen some FOX kids gloves that look like mini versions of their big gloves (like the Digit). The adult small Digit is what I use, along with one of their full finger WSD gloves. They are very cool despite our So Cal summer.

Heck, I've danced on my palms before and much prefer keeping my skin on my hands so I only go full finger MTB'ing. I have yet to find a good light cool full finger road glove though.

MartianDestiny
09-10-2009, 05:26 AM
hmmmm, my shop carries FOX gloves, just not in kids sizes. I'll keep that one in mind and maybe have them order me a pair. Thanks.

nerdgirl
09-10-2009, 10:23 PM
An article I read in a MTB mag some years ago comes to mind, when they were answering a letter about fingerless vs full finger gloves. Their reply was to take pruning sheers and cut off the parts of your hands/fingers that you do not want to cover with gloves, as they are not important, then get gloves for what was left.

My MTB shoes are all scuffed up, and I wonder what my feet would look like had I worn sandals. And I'm no hard core rider. Funny, but my feet never feel hot, even when it is pushing 100f, and I never worry about them even when I crash. Good cycling shoes are worth every penny and sandals are for beach cruisers doing walking speed IMO.

I never wear anything but full-fingered gloves. Considering how hot it gets here, you'd think I'd notice, but I really don't. Gotta protect my hands!

As to the shoes... Yikes! When I think of what would have happened to my feet had I not been wearing MTB shoes on some rides, it makes me cringe. Again, never noticed my feet feeling hot. Wearing socks that wick probably helps that.

Seeing as I'm a downhill singletrack junkie, I wear protective gear over anything I don't want to get hurt. I believe this was brought up in another thread, but seriously, even with my gear I manage to get hurt where it doesn't cover. (For example, my shins and knees are protected but I still get bruises, scrapes & chain ring tattos on my calves.)

Oh, and do I need to remind everyone to wear a brain bucket? I still can't believe I see people speeding down a rocky singletrack wearing no helmet and flip flops. Or, in the case of some men-- no helmet, flip flops, and no shirt. :rolleyes:

Miranda
09-20-2009, 05:20 PM
:)I love my Keens I bought from TE. I have the Shimano multi-release cleats on them. Someday I will get CB eggbeaters--will fit ok too.

The Keens are made to protect the toes. To help with the sides o my feet on the trail I wear some hikers SmartWool socks (breaths nicely for socks with sandles & some protection, like briars etc.). And my bone injury foot I tape up with athletic support tape.

Yea... having to put a foot down in a rock garden situation can sux if you nail the side.

Regardless of the technical part, it helps if you know the trail well & know you are likely to clear everything (no foot down). New trail known to be rocky... might use more techy shoes first trip.

For climbing purposes, I just make sure I have the tops cinched up solid near the ankle. Not had one come off thus far.

Oh... plus, I wear mine to teach spin class in too. Nice to be sockless and cooler inside.