PDA

View Full Version : What are your fave pedals for cross?

Drtgirl
08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I've been using eggbeaters for the past 2 seasons, but I seem to always have an issue clipping in (I wear Sidi's) and now I'm considering something different. I hear that a lot of people use Time but I'm open to suggestion. What are you using?

Thanks! :o

dianne_1234
09-01-2009, 05:30 AM
I tried Time but couldn't clip in or out as easily so went back to SPDs.

I use the "Multi release" cleat and keep the springs all the way loose. Whenever I think of it (every other race? depends whether it's wet or dry) I wipe off the pedal cleat plates with a rag and add a few drops of TriFlow.

Now I can easily get in and out any time, anywhere. Only once on very fast, hard stutter-bumpy grass did I unclip unintentionally.

tjf9
09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm in multi-release SPDs too. I'm taking a clinic right now, and I heard a lot of people say that eggbeaters were tough to clip into/out of for cross. I see folks in Frogs, SPDs, and Looks, as well as some Eggbeaters.

I don't think there's a "best" system - it's just whatever works for you!

Voodoo Sally
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I used the Times for years, but I found that the Egg Beaters were easier to clip into and out of. So now I have been using those for a couple of years.

SheFly
09-07-2009, 07:58 AM
I learned to MTB with SPDs, and have used those for 'cross as well. Easy to get in and out of, and I never worry about my cleat releasing before that all important dismount.

SheFly

bboston88
09-08-2009, 06:02 AM
I use Crank Bros Candys. I like a platform which the eggbeaters don't have. I don't have trouble getting in/out of them but I do know people who do..

SpeedyChix
09-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Still liking the Time ATAC pedals

TrekJeni
09-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Third season using Frogs. I'm sure next season will be no different. :D

Andrea
10-05-2009, 09:32 AM
I 2nd the suggestion to try crank bros. candies. I find that the eggbeaters rotate when I hit them wrong, so my foot ends up sliding off of them. The candies don't do that.

radicalrye
11-23-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.rei.com/product/668198?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-668198&mr:trackingCode=2C744FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

has anyone tried these? I haven't gone clipless yet so I'm doing my research. I thought these would be nice for those times you just can't seem to clip in properly during a race. I figure if I paired these with more of a touring/mtn spd shoe it would allow me to run comfortably and have that confidence knowing if my clip in function isn't working I can still ride semi comfortably.

Andrea
11-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I'd be hesitant on those, because if you're trying to clip in quickly on a re-mount, there's a 50/50 chance that your pedal is going to be upside down, preventing you from doing so. I've had my candy pedals in some of the most severe mud possible, and they've never failed to clear it & clip in successfully.

out_spokin'
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
I tried riding our local 'cross course in mine (performance version, but essentially the same pedal) on a slightly muddy day. Wouldn't do it again. The design just couldn't clear the mud out, and the flat side has enough "teeth" and size that I think it would hurt quite a bit more to bump into them than a Crank Brothers or Time pedal on a mount/dismount/carry situation. They're fantastic pedals for my commuter/errand bike though.

radicalrye
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
That's a good point w/ the mud and all the gunk that could possibly make it hard to clip in and out.

I'll probably end up going w/ the Crank Bros. Candy SL. They seem to be getting better reviews than the standard Candy pedals. I guess if I don't like them I can always sell them on craigslist :)

bboston88
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
That's a good point w/ the mud and all the gunk that could possibly make it hard to clip in and out.

I'll probably end up going w/ the Crank Bros. Candy SL. They seem to be getting better reviews than the standard Candy pedals. I guess if I don't like them I can always sell them on craigslist :)

I don't have sidis but so I don't have too many issues clipping in. If you do, you can use shims and/or file away some tread.

spinfast
05-23-2010, 05:04 PM
i'm using adidas vueltano cleats, they're an spd setup and i find them really easy to use for a first pair of clipless. love them!

thelawgoddess
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Sidi Doms and Candy pedals. If you miss the clip, you can still pedal while you readjust and try again. But generally pretty easy to get into. I often get clipped in before my boyfriend and his SPDs (and he's been a professional triathlete for way many more years than I've been cycling).

sbr_girl
07-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Has anyone tried the LOOK quartz? They seem similar to the Candy in design.