PDA

View Full Version : What are you better at due to Spin Class?

Miranda
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
For those of you that would consider yourself primarily roadies / mtb... aka: outside peeps-- who use Spinning as an off-season activity and/or compliment...

What would you say to my title post?

Intervals? Pedal stroke technique? Smoothing out your cadence? Other?

I'm curious for various reasons.

Well, I will answer first... I would say all of the above. Plus some.

I was a Spinner first. Then re-found my love for riding outside. I road cycle primarily, and mtb a little. Plus, now I'm a Spinning Instructor. It won't be long before they all start piling in (cooler weather is coming). I've been recruiting whilst riding outside too;):D.

However... there are some peeps I know, that I would *think* could improve in some areas with Spinning. Like keeping a steady cadence...

Since doing the club rides, I'm sorta amazed at all the "pedal, pedal, *coast stroke*" I see. There is no coasting on a Spin bike. It's like a fixie. I think I'm personally a more steady road rider because of it.

Funny story too... I had one new roadie show up in my class to specifically improve his intervals. His male ego was bruised that his buddy could out-sprint him. When he asked the buddy, "...how did you develop to do that?... the reply--Spinning class intervals!". Hmm...

That was rather enlightening for me as an instructor. So, just curious what others' experiences might be and how I can help my students:cool:.

TYIA:)
Miranda

redrhodie
08-19-2009, 05:58 AM
I was thinking about this as I rode this morning, and the thing spinning most helped me with was standing. I don't spin any more, but all those drills of standing, then recovering, were helpful in getting used to that action.

maillotpois
08-19-2009, 06:14 AM
It all REALLY depends on how good the instructor is. Those ones that are basically aerobics instructors on a bike who have you do weird moves that don't resemble actual cycling at all don't help anything except get regular exercise.

I had a great spin instructor who was a MTB racer. His classes were a great workout and helped my riding consistency a lot.

For this year I am taking cycle ops power based classes where there instructors are actually bike racers or triathletes and they are really good at working on cadence and pedal stroke. They're constantly reminding you about form, changing the power setting for intervals, changing the cadence, etc. It's been amazing. I hope I have the $ to do it again next year! :)

Miranda
08-21-2009, 12:02 AM
:)Thx for those replies. We have a mix of both at our gym. Instructors that do not ride outside & teach other aerobics classes plus Spinning. And our outdoor peeps as well.

missjulied
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I found I'm better at climbing, and better at not stopping pedaling as I raise my bum off the saddle to go over bumps or potholes.

tctrek
08-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Spinning helped me a lot with picking up my cadence. I've increased my average cadence from 74 to 84 this past year. Last winter I went to spinning classes at least 3-4 times a week.

I've only been to one spinning class since April and I was surprised to feel claustrophobic in the class. After riding outdoors 6 days a week, I found that I couldn't breathe right and was uber-sweaty in the spin class. I longed for the breeze in my face as I travelled down the road.

I hope I can get back into spinning classes when the cold weather comes as I don't see myself riding in sub-freezing weather.

Zen
08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Climbing.
I went back to my first spin class of the summer just tonight. I kept trying to use the handbrakes on the flat part of the bar. They weren't there :o

Mr. Bloom
08-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Intervals.

I did no spin last winter and I've paid for it all this season. I'm already strong on climbs...intervals build speed.

JH-NV
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Speed work and lots of it this summer. Our instructor is a tandem racer and has imho, fantastic training programs. I road yesterday and can really notice on mild/moderate hills while seated. Spinning has given me back my athleticism.

carinapir
09-02-2009, 02:52 PM
In addition to what others have said, I got better at knowing my limits in spin class. I use it as an opportunity to push myself further without having to worry about falling over or running into anyone. It increases my confidence on hills and while pushing my cadence in higher gears because I've had a chance to experiment with what my body can take in a safe environment.

Zeek
09-07-2009, 06:41 AM
I love the SEZ (Strength Energy Zone). Cadence is kept at 60-80 RPM during entire class and there are no flats. Recoveries are kept at recovery on the hill (always keeping quads engaged but allowing for heart/lungs to catch up).

The work is kept at a steady pace of aerobic and rises to threshold but never surpasses that. Very challenging.

Miranda
09-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for those replies!

I was mia from my thread here due to computer crash and bike crash--ugh! But, will look forward to using these thoughts in my teaching planning.:)

Miranda

Resi
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Spinning does help your breathing condition, that what made me stronger, the rest like cadence, climbing and speed comes from training outside, mostly with a group which challenged me. I ride between 100 and 150 miles a week.

In the moment I have to use the gym spin class, it is just to cold outside. The spin instructors we have in our facility are non bikers, so you know what you get, but hey, I can make it as hard as I want, and I can change the excersise... I just like the group dynamic, that's the reason I am there, other wise I would train at home.

tctrek
01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
For this year I am taking cycle ops power based classes where there instructors are actually bike racers or triathletes and they are really good at working on cadence and pedal stroke. They're constantly reminding you about form, changing the power setting for intervals, changing the cadence, etc. It's been amazing. I hope I have the $ to do it again next year! :)

maillotpois, do they actually train this class with power taps?

Zen
01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Sweating.

WindingRoad
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Spin class has helped me discover my threshold before I completely run outta gas. It allows me to watch my heart rate when I'm really pushing hard to see what my magic number is. I've found that this year I can push hard at 170 - 173 ish and it feels like 160 - 163 BPM used to feel. I can work at higher intensities for longer periods of time now and not bonk. I don't know for sure but I guess this indicates I finally have achieved some conditioning?

Spin helps me smooth out my pedal stroke for sure. Some of our instructors are outdoor riders and they are very good at reminding you about form and continuity on your pedal stroke. Fluid pedal stroke equates to much more endurance with less effort once the season starts.

Kinda glad you guys brought this up it reminded me of WHY I sweat my butt of 3 or 4 times a week. You all are great! You help keep me motivated when there is 6 inches of snow on. :)

kmehrzad
01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Sweating.

LOL - you keep me laughing.

kmehrzad
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I find my endurance has increased.

spokewench
01-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, I don't ride a bike much anymore; but a few years ago when I was still racing mountain bikes; and we had a really snowy and cold year, I basically got fit for the first race in spin class and on my trainer. (I live at 7,000 feet in the mountains). Most of our races in Arizona are down south where people are training in warm weather for the season that starts in January/February. That year, I won the first race of the season off of spin training and trainer workouts! I was absolutely stunned.

Catrin
01-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Cardiovascular endurance, and my legs are looking MUCH better these days :D

Our instructor is a competitive mountain biker and is also my personal trainer - so he has given me instructions to translate the "out of the seat" parts of the class to differing levels of resistance and to stay in my seat unless I simply must relieve my legs. He said this in order to build the right muscles/strength for the bike - that standing on a spinning bike doesn't quite use the same muscles as standing on a real bike. He gives me feedback after class as well...I am always surprised at how much attention he can pay this one person in a room full of people.

I was surprised to read here that some instructors give directions for standing runs without much resistance...even I know that is very bad for the knees. My instructor does include standing runs and standing climbs, but both are far from having no or light resistance.

We do have other instructors though who are not cyclists and are aerobics instructors instead - I do not attend their classes. Thankfully there are three classes a week I can attend anyway, so am thankful.

e.e.cummings
01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
My speed improved after spinning. Plus it took the pressure of my outdoor rides - because I was getting such a workout in spinning, I let myself enjoy my outdoor rides more (I have a 9 year old and we like to ride together, but you have to be patient with kids - not only do they go slower, but they also like to stop a lot and look at things).

Zen
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
It's official. I ride like a 9 year old child :)

spokewench
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I know some very fast nine year old children! Zen you slay me.

WindingRoad
01-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Catrin - Where is your gym if you don't mind me asking? My gym has been OK but I can't get to the good classes with my schedule.

I keep getting into the suffer fest classes that are full of fluff moves and rediculously fast standing runs. I went to one of our Sunday classes and I almost laughed out loud at this girl! She was like a gerbil! I could barely see her legs they were spinning so fast and she must have been all of 4'8. The bike was bigger than her. It was so rediculous it was comical! She was doing bar push ups, need I say more :rolleyes:

Catrin
01-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Catrin - Where is your gym if you don't mind me asking? My gym has been OK but I can't get to the good classes with my schedule.

I keep getting into the suffer fest classes that are full of fluff moves and rediculously fast standing runs. I went to one of our Sunday classes and I almost laughed out loud at this girl! She was like a gerbil! I could barely see her legs they were spinning so fast and she must have been all of 4'8. The bike was bigger than her. It was so rediculous it was comical! She was doing bar push ups, need I say more :rolleyes:

I am in Indianapolis and go to the Westview Healthplex (http://westviewhealthplex.org/). It is a great place if you live in the area.

tangentgirl
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
The sprints in spin classes have really helped me. I'm kinda of a Slowy McPokerPoke in general, but I have noticed when I mix spin classes with outdoor riding, I am less hesitant to try riding faster, ala the sprints. I think it's more of a mindset thing - I even think of my legs moving fast like in the class - but whatever works, right?