PDA

View Full Version : Brake alignment

bluerider
07-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi there,

Not sure what to do but my rear brake has an alignment problem. The right brake is very very close to my tire, not touching but really close. I've take the wheel off and popped it back on thinking I had put it incorrectly. That didn't help. Anyone have an idea how I can fix this and why the alignment is off? :confused:

Much appreciated!

SadieKate
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Are these linear pull (V) brakes or cantilevers? Do you mean the pad is close to the rim or dropping downwards towards the tire? Having a pad rubbing on the tire can do a lot of damage to the tire.

If it is simply the pad close to the rim with cantilevers, you can try just rotating the brake a bit on the bolt and see if it will stay there. If not, you need to adjust them. If all of this is sounding like Greek, take it to your LBS. If they have the time, they may be able to readjust in about 10 seconds.

CorsairMac
07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
in my maintainence class they taught us to make sure the brake pad was close to the rim. We were taught to lay our finger along the bottom line of the pad between the pad and rim and feel a "slight" gap. are you sure the alignment is off??

RoadRaven
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
I agree with what SadieKate <EDIT - dial up takes a long time to load each page> and Corsair <EDIT> has suggested, see if the brakes are just skewed in which case they may just need a little wriggling/adjustment to get the pads away from the wheel...

It happens relatively easily - a little bump can do it, or if you have taken wheel off for travelling, or to change tyre or whatever... you need to make sure brakes are realigned.

If they are rubbing once or twice each cycle of the wheel (not constantly) it could be your wheel needs "true-ing", that is, your spokes need to be checked for loose ones and any loose ones need to be tightened - you should have a spoke key in your bike repair kit. Or perhaps you have broken a spoke without realising it - do a quick count and make sure they are all there.

Or, more expensively, you may have gone over some bump that buckled your wheel, in which case you'll need a new one...

I hope its just the alignment of the brake pads...

bluerider
07-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone. These are cantilevers and the right one isn't rubbing against the wheel but is much closer to the wheel than the left one. I'm going to try adjusting it but I may have to take it to the LSB. All my spokes are counted and the wheel seems okay. Oh man oh man, if I have to get a new wheel... :(

SadieKate
07-13-2005, 01:59 PM
bluerider, don't panic and go spin your wheel. If the spacing doesn't change between the pad and the rim, your wheel is probably true. You just need your brakes adjusted. Just trying pivoting them on the bolt that attaches them to the frame. Twist it a hair to center the pads around the rim and then squeeze the brake lever a few times to see if the brake stays in place. If it does, you're probably good to go. If not, take it to the LBS for adjusting because you need to get some lessons on adjusting the brakes. It is not uncommon for the brakes to go slightly askew if you're loading your bike on its side in the back of the car or something similar. Leaning your bike against something and accidentally bumping the brakes can cause it.

BUT, if the pad is against the tire get it fixed before riding it. Having the pad rubbing on the rim just means you'll wear down the pad, the rim, your energy, etc. but isn't the end of the world unless you're planning on a long, high speed decent. :D

One last thing: is the brake shoe still running parallel to the rim? If not, you need to do more than twist the brake on the bolt. This could put one end of the brake pad near the tire.

RoadRaven
07-14-2005, 12:42 PM
BUT, if the pad is against the tire get it fixed before riding it. Having the pad rubbing on the rim just means you'll wear down the pad, the rim, your energy, etc. but isn't the end of the world unless you're planning on a long, high speed decent. :D

LOL... this made me think of my sister in law who entered 160km ride (imperial century) and couldn't work out why she just couldn't keep up... a couple of kms from the start she hopped off to check the bike - sure enough, the brakes were against the rear wheel... turns out her partner thought they looked a bit loose and tightened them before the race!

bluerider
07-14-2005, 02:26 PM
One last thing: is the brake shoe still running parallel to the rim? If not, you need to do more than twist the brake on the bolt. This could put one end of the brake pad near the tire.

Yup yup! You're right, the wheel is still true when I spin. I think it's just the brakes. I've fidgeted with it a bit and it's gotten better. But I think I'll take it into the LSB to make sure I don't on my descents. WHEEEEEE! :p