PDA

View Full Version : Solo Touring

Biketouringrook
08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi, I've fallen in love with cycle touring. I've done only a couple of supported tours, but never an independent one. In November '09, I'm planning to take my first solo independent tour(South Florida), well trial tour(4days total), in preparation for the big one. I'm a female, and can not find anyone that wants to do this sort of thing. So, I took a hint from another forum that I read stating, "if you can't find a partner, go by yourself,"and this I am plannig to do. I'm really trying not to be held back by fear of going solo. I need to hear some opinions on this plan, be it pro or con. Also,any advice or tips to be offered up. Thank you!

MomOnBike
08-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Go for it!

Really, that's all the advice you really need. What do you need other people for? When you are by yourself, you have the luxury of traveling at your speed, stopping where you want to stop and choosing the route that you find interesting.

The thing I found on my tour, as opposed to a group ride, is that I am forced to interact with the locals wherever I am. There is no hiding behind a group leader - and people tend to want to talk to you because you are obviously an interesting person - riding your bike on a tour, and all. A solo tourist is approchable.

If you need inspiration, look on http://www.crazyguyonabike.com. Several TE members have journals up there. Denise Goldberg has gone on several nice cross-country jaunts, to name but one. I have a journal posted there (Spring Fever 2005), also.

Don't forget to take pictures.

sfa
08-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Have fun! I've never done a supported or a group tour, although sometimes while traveling solo I'd meet up with people and travel with them for a day or two. But I'd always extract myself quickly--I liked the freedom of going at my own pace and setting my own agenda for the day. I'm generally not a loner--I love my family and group of friends and enjoy traveling with them at other times. But on my bike, I'm happier alone!

You'll probably want to decide in advance if you want to just play things by ear each day or set up a schedule and determine where you're going to stay each night. I always liked to set my schedule a few days at a time and then call ahead for a bed (I was staying in hostels). If I didn't have a bed for the night I'd try to arrive at my destination by 3 p.m. in case I ran into problems finding someplace to stay. And of course you'll want to be pretty adept at fixing the most common mechanical problems with your bike if you aren't already.

Good luck!

Sarah

Biketouringrook
08-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Now I'm beginning to loosen up.
I just ordered my Burley Nomad Trailer, and making a list of items to take. My plan is to camp at different campgrounds(pre-scheduled). I want to camp for two nights going and two nights coming back. Since this is my trial tour to get a taste for how this independent stuff will work, I'll only travel about 100 miles going, and reverse the same coming back.
I'm so hyped now.........thank you again!

Tri Girl
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Good luck on your trip!!! When will you be leaving? Sounds like you've got it all worked out and that you will have a GREAT time. :) Please report back when you finish and share all about it.

My only worries when touring is my hubby. I haven't done any solo tours because he worries too much about me. I'm not so worried, and am a very free-spirited nomad, but he's the one that worries about my safety.
It's sweet, and I love that he worries about me, but...;)

Biketouringrook
08-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I'll be leaving on November 12th, and my birthday is November 14th. So, I'll be out there on my b-day which is the kick start of my decesion to do"EVERYTHING" in life that I've always wanted to do, putting all fears aside. And I don't even know where I'm going yet, but I am going.......

Tri Girl
08-12-2009, 05:57 PM
That sounds awesome! What a great birthday gift to yourself!!!! :D
Certainly can't live life in fear. Gotta do what you want (which means some solo tours next summer for me- even if it makes DH a little or lot worried). :)

You go, girl!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

owlice
08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
I have traveled a lot solo (not on a bike, just in general). I used to sing with a large chorus, and after a concert tour, I'd always take off by myself for a week or so; I got a LOT of questions from other women in the chorus about this. "You're going by yourself??" "You're traveling alone??" I never understood this! It's not as though I was going off on a trek across Antarctica without so much as a windbreaker -- we were in Europe! What, I was going to get eaten by a bear while trying to find a hotel in Basel?! Sheeeesh!!

Anyway, I've never been on a cycle tour, supported or otherwise, but will be cycling the C&O Towpath (184 miles) by myself this fall. I'm really looking forward to it!! For me, the challenge is the ride itself (couch potato here), not in the lack of company. Heck, I ride by myself all the time; the only difference for this longer ride is the overnights, and heck, I've stayed in plenty of hotels by myself!

You ride by yourself, yes? And you've camped, yes? Well, then, you're just combining the two, and will have a blast! And what a great, great way to spend your birthday!!

Biketouringrook
08-12-2009, 06:33 PM
So, so, so, inspiring! I feel so sane.It's those that present the apprehensive questions are the ones that are insane. I just finished reading MomOnBIKE Spring Fever journal of 2005, the name for her bike is William. I found that to be so nice, because the name for my bike is Douglass, named after a dear, dear friend that is no longer with me, but now he is.

canonsue
08-13-2009, 04:58 AM
I have done quite a bit of solo motorcycle camping. So far, I have never had a problem and have met plenty of great people. I made a decision about 10 years ago that I would not let fear stop me from traveling and camping alone.

Now, of course you should always be aware of your surroundings and who is in the vicinity. Take the normal precautions as any women in the USA needs to do, but don't let it stop you.

I really enjoy doing these things alone. I also enjoy my trips with friends, but I think my solo trips have been some of my best.

Here is a picture of my "bike" on my last trip.

http://www.mountainprayer.net/rushmore.jpg

bikerHen
08-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Go for it! You'll have a blast. My sister and I recently completed a week long tour. We were with a group but spent much of the daily ride time in our own little cycling world. It was great to stop and talk to the locals. They were all very friendly to a couple of women on bikes. As much as we enjoyed being with the group, we both decided that group touring is not for us. Our next trip we'll be on our own.

Just one piece of advice. You said you have ordered a trailer? I tour with my trusty BOB trailer and just love it. It's taken a few trips to really set this in my mind. Just because you have room in the trailer, doesn't mean you have to fill it up! I really thinned down the extra stuff on this trip and still ended up walking some of a 2 mile hill that was a 9 -10% grade. The walking was almost harder than riding. Hills happen! Well maybe not in Florida. :rolleyes: Just remember to pack light. I actually challenged myself on this trip to bring less. Other than my wind vest, that I forgot, I didn't miss a thing. Look foward to hearing your ride report. bikerHen

cosc
08-21-2009, 05:40 AM
I finished a 6 day solo unsupported ride a few weeks ago. My 4 panniers, tent, and touring bike was much heavier than my carbon bike. Keep this in mind and think about alternative camping spots, in case your body or weather says enough for one day.
I wrote up a ride report, but my computer froze up and I lost it when trying to add pictures.
I found people were much more friendly to a touring cyclist than when on a regular ride. My tour started from home, so the same people that pass without a smile, were now waving at me.
I had all good experiences and felt safe, except for the one too many trucks.
I hope you have a great trip.

Biketouringrook
08-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I just picked up my Burley Nomad Trailer a couple of days ago. Took less than one hour to put it together. I took it out for a trial, packed it with about 20lbs, which is probably not alot, but I was so, so pleased with how easily it pulled. This trailer tracked really nice. There was a couple of times when I forgot I was pulling the trailer and ran up hit the curb(no damage). I will have heed the given advice and remember to pack light, because the space will tempt you to fill it up. Outside of what I've already have packed, I will be adding at least 10 more pounds including my U-locks.

I have been ridding in the same area for about one year, and see the same faces often. The ridders are pretty friendly and will usually smile and wave. When they saw the trailer tacking, I was surprised by those who wanted to stop and have a conversation about the trailer and my plans. The trailer is surely an attention getter and conversation piece.

channlluv
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm just curious, and please feel free to disregard these personal questions, and please don't read anything into it -- I'm trying to figure out if I fit into the group of women who could do a solo tour.

How old are you and how fit are you? Do you have a family? Husband, kids?

What's your motivation for taking a solo tour? Do you have a personal goal you hope to achieve?

I think it's a very exciting idea. Every time I'm out on my own, in my last few miles of a 20+-mile ride, I think how great it would be to take off on a solo tour.

I just finished a cross-country drive with my daughter, and it was excellent. I love traveling like that. I think I could do a short tour, but I'm not sure about a long one.

You're really inspiring me here. Thank you! And good luck with your packing.

A while back, when I was contemplating doing a tri, I asked what to pack in the transition bag and got some great responses. What would you ladies pack if you were going on a solo tour?

Roxy

Biketouringrook
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi Chann,
No, I have no problem with answering your questions. I am 48 and will be 49 in November. I think I'm quite fit. I cycle 4 to five days a week, doing 50 t0 70 miles each ride(no hills in South Florida). I do light weights(power 90) 5 to six days a week before or after cycling. Two teenage sons, and I'm a graduate student- working part-time, which gives me a bit of time to take tours, at least for the next two years. And also being the big "D"(divorced) helps. Only the passion for cycle touring has inspired me. What I'm hoping to achieve, as stated earlier is to simply do everything that I've wanted to do and not be put off by fear.

As for packing, I really was sure what to pack outside of the given, such as, tent, sleeping bag, ect. I read some of the tour journals listed on Crazy Guy on a Bike website, and tailored my list from others.

If this is what you like, as one lady stated here, "Go for it!"

evangundy
08-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm sure I've posted this link previously, but it fits right in here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=QzzM&doc_id=2126&v=JK this is one of our recumbent group. Sylvia left on a solo tour in July of 2007, and she is still touring :-) She went from Portland to Vancouver Island, back down the Pacific Coast to Mexico, through and around Mexico, New Zealand, Australia and later this fall heads to Vietnam and Asia.

What I have learned from Sylvia and Myrtle, you're only limited by the limits you place on yourself :-)

Have a fun shake-down 4-day tour, and then a fabulous solo tour, where ever you go - and keep us posted.

Edna

Biketouringrook
08-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh my gosh! Now that trully inspiring. I'm ready.........

bikerHen
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Channlluv,
What I have done in my quest to start touring is starting small. We have done a few overnighters to the local state park, and out and back overnighter on a local rail trail and a few local two and three day trips. With each trip I have refined by packing list. It's a trial and error thing that seems to be working well. We are in the first stages of planning a two week tour in the Canandian Rockies next summer. We'll most likely do a few more local trips before then. Even a short overnighter can teach you alot. Lisa

channlluv
08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Chann,
No, I have no problem with answering your questions. I am 48 and will be 49 in November. I think I'm quite fit. I cycle 4 to five days a week, doing 50 t0 70 miles each ride(no hills in South Florida). I do light weights(power 90) 5 to six days a week before or after cycling. Two teenage sons, and I'm a graduate student- working part-time, which gives me a bit of time to take tours, at least for the next two years. And also being the big "D"(divorced) helps. Only the passion for cycle touring has inspired me. What I'm hoping to achieve, as stated earlier is to simply do everything that I've wanted to do and not be put off by fear.

As for packing, I really was sure what to pack outside of the given, such as, tent, sleeping bag, ect. I read some of the tour journals listed on Crazy Guy on a Bike website, and tailored my list from others.

If this is what you like, as one lady stated here, "Go for it!"

YOU are my new hero. Seriously. How brave you are to live your dreams like this. I can't wait to hear how your planning and tour progress. Thank you for sharing that personal information.

I've got a good bit of training to do before I can think about doing a real tour, but I do like bikerhen's idea of doing the out-and-back overnighters to local parks. That's a super idea and not nearly as intimidating as a longer ride to parts unknown. We have lots of really great camping parks around here, too.

Now, for the gear...

How do you plan what roads to take?

Roxy

bikerHen
08-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Now, for the gear...

How do you plan what roads to take?

Roxy

Start with the basics, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, (the ground is a lot harder these days), cook stove, food, clothes and whatever else you think you need. Althought after hauling a bunch of "stuff" around, you'll start to realize just what you can and can't do without. :rolleyes: You might want to check out crazyguyonabike.com. There is a lot of good information to be found in people's touring blogs. But you really have to just jump in and give it a try. :D The best part of starting local, if something goes wrong, like the huge thunder storm we had on our first trip out, or you forget something really important, like the tent, you're close to home for some support. :D

As for roads, the local ones I know. Further from home I study the map and plan from there. If your talking cross country, check out Adventure Cycling maps. They have some good one. I live near a couple of adventure cycling routes. One local(ish) tour I have planned uses some sections of their maps that I have combined with the roads I know. It will be a week to ten days tour. I haven't done it yet but I will someday. That darn needing to work and pay the bills thing really interferes with my bike riding! Another source is to check the routes of local organized rides. They are usually run on bike friendly routes and could be used as part or all of a route to a local camping spot. Hope this jump starts some ideas for you. bikerHen

channlluv
08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
It really does. Thank you.

I was at my daughter's middle school orientation this morning and as I was looking at the school calendar, I found myself thinking, "Hmm...October 16 is a holiday, long weekend, family road trip..."

Yeah, here we go. Woohoo!

Roxy

Biketouringrook
08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
When I started with the notion of an independent toure, I first went on a couple of supported tours just to get the feel of the whole thind. I went on one tour in NY for 400 miles and 8 days with camping. Then went on a second one to the Florida Keys, wich was only 75 going, camped over night and cycled back 75 miles, but lost of fun, nice people and great entertainment.

As for the roads, this will be a great challenge for me. I have no geographical skills, at all. Nevertheless, I have a Garmin 605 GPS that I will load with North American maps, and I will get maps from Adventure Cycling.

I get such a rush talking about this. I wish for you all the goodness and best in making your decision.

owlice
08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
How many pairs of bike shorts do you take with you, and how do you/do you wash them as you tour? (Trying to figure out what I should be doing for my little ride next month! :) )

MomOnBike
08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Channlluv -

That's the spirit! Just go.

DH & I noticed recently that we both had (the same!) two days off so we just tossed a few things in backpacks (we ride 'bents and hang the backpacks off our seat backs), tossed a coin as to direction, and took off to a nearby small town for a wonderful get-away. Historic (and cheap!) hotels and fried dill pickles anyone?

We had a blast. You will too. Go for it.

bikerHen
08-28-2009, 06:42 AM
How many pairs of bike shorts do you take with you, and how do you/do you wash them as you tour? (Trying to figure out what I should be doing for my little ride next month! :) )

I took two shorts and two jerseys for my week long tour. The best tip I got about laundry, was to wear your bike clothes into the shower with you to wash everything at the same time. I refined this to the following technique when faced with coin operated showers. I use one coin at a time. Start with shorts off and pour soap on them, then get the shorts wet and scrub while rinsing myself with my jersey still on. When time runs out take off the rest of my clothes, soap them up and scrub. When rinse everything and me, with the next coin. When time runs out again, hang up the wet clothes and start scrubing me. Your technique my vary. We had a shower that cost 25 cents per minute and it was the shortest "minute" I ever spent. It took five quarters to get me and my clothes all clean. :D

Drying the clothes can be more of the issue. If you have good weather, just string up a clothes line to dry them. Don't forget to pack a clothes line and a couple of clothes pins. :cool: We had a couple of rainy mist days along the coast so nothing would completely dried overnight. You can A: Hang your clothes off your panniers or trailer to dry, attach well. My sister lost her favorite shirt. Or B: Stop at a laundromat when you pass through a town. Or C: Just wear wool because it doesn't have to be laundred as often. :rolleyes: bikerHen

owlice
08-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks, bikerHen; I appreciate the info!!

Tri Girl
08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
all this talk of touring is making me want to do an over-nighter again- SOON. No more vacation until December, but there's always the weekends...

Thanks for the re-inspiration, ladies. Of to my atlas and gazetteer...

Biketouringrook
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Here he is! Practice makes perfect, I hope. November 12th is the date.......10024

Tri Girl
09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Beautiful setup! Love the bike, and the Burley is nice, too. :)
How does it handle? I've only pulled a trailer one time loaded down with groceries and it felt like I was dragging the bike through mud.

Woo hoo for you!!!:D:D:D:D:D

MomOnBike
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
That is one serious touring rig. I like it.

Now all you have to do is get out there and enjoy it.

Biketouringrook
09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Thank you! The trailer tracks really nice. I have about 25lbs in it now, with maybe 10 more lbs to add, includding locks. I absolutely love it. It pulls, turns, and decends really nicely. At times, I forget it's back there. The info pack says it can pull up to 100lbs. One of the many good things about it, things are not stacked on top of each other, making it easy to find whatever I need. It also has little inside side pockets. I can hardly wait.......

donna322
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi I don't know if you have seen this journal, it was posted here one other time and I was absolutely entranced. 70 yr old woman went solo from Maine to Montana. She had only 6 days of riding left to make it to Seattle but she took a free car ride home to Canada. Very inspiring!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=96915&v=9f

aeiea
09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi I don't know if you have seen this journal, it was posted here one other time and I was absolutely entranced. 70 yr old woman went solo from Maine to Montana. She had only 6 days of riding left to make it to Seattle but she took a free car ride home to Canada. Very inspiring!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=96915&v=9f

What an amazing story! I admire her spirit. So, so cool.

Not to give any spoilers, but the fact she was only yelled at once? Awesome. (Of course, imo, people should have been cheering her on!)

Kudos to her accomplishment.

staceysue
10-19-2009, 05:47 AM
I'm getting inspired, too. On my last ride I was thinking "I wish I could just keep going and not stop!"

I talked to my husband about it and he said he wouldn't mind making a trip with the camper and having it waiting for me at the end of each day. That would be very convenient for me and fun for him, but there's something about just going alone that seems so much more peaceful and adventurous - and it would feel so FREE!

Biketouringrook
11-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, I did my trial overnight camp out before I start my tour, and I have learned the following things:
1. check everything twice even if you are positive you have it packed (I took my bike looks, but forgot the keys).
2. Take at least two forms of I.D (I had to pay an extra 10 bucks, because I could not prove that I was a county resident).
3. Wet wipes are a must and very handy (I took about 10 and used them all).
4. Take more tent stakes than you will actually use (I end up bending two of the stakes).
5. Only place your immediate supplies in your handle bar bag (I carreid way too much stuff in the handle bar bag).
6. A front helment light is a good thing (I had no place to put my front light without it being blocked by the handle bar bag).
7. Charge all chargable equipment at least a day before setting off (I waited to charge my camera battery only 4 hours before leaving, and it never got fully juiced, so I could not take pictures).

I take off for my four day tour on Thursday, Nov 12. I'm glad I discovered these things, but I'm also sure there will be more to come with this trip.

Thanks for the suggestion to take an overnighter.

Tri Girl
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
thanks for sharing your lessons learned! All good things to keep in mind.

I'm so excited for your trip!!!:D Good luck, watch out for beautiful Florida weather, and have a BLAST (and check in when you get back)! I can't wait to hear all about it. :)

owlice
11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Have a great time! Take notes! Share when you return! Have a great time!!!

owlice
11-18-2009, 08:13 PM
How was it? Please tell!

Biketouringrook
03-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I totally apologise for my long delay in providing details.......I was so overwhelmed when I retunred with classes and other stuff. But here goes:
The trip was better than I had expected. Solo touring is so awesome! I had not one bad experience that turned me off, not even when I got lost. Although I did bunk out.......When I arrived at my first campsite, it was night time, and I was frightened to death when a racoon came up from behind and tapped me on the leg. He would not go away. He walke all over my tent that I had laid out. I had to spray him wiht my "Halt." to get him to leave (that's just like a man).

The camsites were beaustiful. There weren't many tent campers, most were RV's. I felt totally safe throughout the whole trip. On state park facility was so hughe, it had to cycle another 5 miles inside of the park to reach the campgrounds. I had only one flat tire on my trailer, and no other malfunctions. At one point, after setting up my tent, I was so tired, I fell asleep whilet texting on my phone. When I awoke the next morning, the phone was laying on my chest.

Lesson Learned:
1) you can never have too many lights or batteries (my flashlight began acting up, so I had to make use of my bike light)
2) don't take all of you daily meals along, just take breakfast (I was so tired when I arrived at my camp site, I did want to cook anything. Once I cycled to Burger King).
3) If you have a bike map, follow it (I was trying to follow both my bike map and Garmin GPS. I was so confused. The GPS took me through some of the seedest neighborhoods)!
4) if you are not familiar with the area, and not sure where you are going, don't listen to you MP3 player ( I missed my turn and went ten miles out of the way before becoming suspicious).

Now, for my next adventure, I will be touring the "Underground Railroad" from Milford, OH to Erie, PA. At the start of April I will drive to Ohio, park my car somewhere safe, cycle to PA and cycle back to OH where my car will be waiting. The trip should be around 900 miles, providing that I don't get lost. For this trip I purchased some cold weather cycling clothes, a North Face Minibus 23 tent (oh, yeah, forgot to tell you all that I ripped the screen part of my old tent trying to scare the racoons away that sound like ten thousand creature trying to gain entrance), and a North Face Women Green Kazoo sleeping bag. I am so excited about this trip. There will be so much history to see.

In either July or November, I will tour the last leg of the "Uderground Railroad" into Ontarion, if it's not too, too, cold in November.

Again, I apologise for the long delay.

Tri Girl
03-04-2010, 01:20 PM
So glad to hear back from you BTR! Love the pictures!! Glad that you had a great time and that you really enjoyed yourself! I get freaked out at night when camping alone- every sound sounds like a million zombies coming to eat me. ;)
Thanks for reporting back. The UGRR sounds fantastic- can't wait to hear all about it!!

Ride on!

Biketouringrook
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Cool! I love your blog spot, Tri Girl. The snow looks so beautiful. I have been in South Florida for 4 years now, and don't think I can do the snow and cold anymore.

AnnieBikes
03-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I have cycled the whole Underground RR route and it is awesome!! You will love the section you are planning to do! The bike trail is 55 miles from Milford to the North...and just beautiful riding. Have fun!! The lady that Donna322 was talking about (70 yr. old who rode cross country alone) was on the trip with me on the Underground RR in 2008!

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/2008UndergroundRailroad

shootingstar
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
In either July or November, I will tour the last leg of the "Uderground Railroad" into Ontarion, if it's not too, too, cold in November.

Again, I apologise for the long delay.

Biketouringrook, it is recommended if you do southern Ontario portion of the Underground Railroad, to do it in summer or before November.

I am familiar with this area..one of my closest friends..lives in the same town as the historic site for "Uncle Tom's cabin", the home of Josiah Henson. It is in the town of Dresden, Ontario. Which Harriet Stowe based her book on. Yes, the site gets busloads of visitors annually from all over Canada and U.S. It is really a piece of Canadian black history that is incredible.

I have visited/toured and stayed with my friend several times over the last 2 decades. Most recently, last summer. :)

SHe and I went to some other Afro-Canadian museums related to the whole area and Underground Railroad. About 30 kms. away from Dresden or less, is North America's oldest /first schoolhouse for children of freed black slaves. (early 1800's) It is now a historic site. We were given a tour by the site curator who is a great-great grandson of a pioneer black schoolteacher in the area.

My friend, who is high school teacher ,and I were impressed by the museum's sophisticated curriculum they have devised to teach kids in the region, on life as a Afro-Canadian child during that era --the kids actually take upon the role of a black child of a long-gone class featured in an archival class photo, and the present-day schoolkid is requested to research life about of that child. A real lesson that integrates history, geography, sociology, etc. The children spend several days based out of the historic school site so they can get immersed.

There are 2 different museums on Underground RR in that area in addition to the Josiah Henson's site.
http://www.uncletomscabin.org/
http://buxtonmuseum.com/
http://ckblackhistoricalsociety.org/

The area tends to be flat for cycling. :) And it is Central-Eastern Canada's tomato region..lots of tomatoes are grown in the region.

Biketouringrook
03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh, wow.....I am just so overly excited! Thanks for the wealth of information. I would rather do the last portion of the "Underground Railroad" during the summer season. Are the summers in that particular area dry? Here in South Florida summer is the start of hurricane season, and I am so deathly afraid of "thunder and lightning." I'd rather deal with the cold, than to deal with the thunder and lightning.

shootingstar
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
That area of southern Ontario rarely experiences hurricanes. The summers in that area (like any TE forum member from the Toronto area can tell you....which is over 300 kms. northeast of Dresden) can be humid with temp. 80-90 degrees F., particularily in July and August. Area can get thunder and rain.

Dresden sits in an agricultural, flattish area. (but it's not like the prairies). I did mention briefly about this area with photos at TE last year: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=33843

I have not yet bike toured in Dresden, but used to live, work and bike in Toronto area for 14 yrs. We did several different self-supported bike trips involving camping elsewhere in southern Ontario.

One of the links I gave above, refers to the Black Mecca --it was a small town of blacks at that time, that became literary-arts oriented with a high level of literacy among the blacks.

President Abraham Lincoln sent one of his officials to visit this community in Ontario, to see what lessons/insight could be gained for some blacks after the Civil War. As I mentioned in the older link here, Fredrick Douglass, a prominent black activist of that era, dropped by this area and was impressed / amazed.

footloose
03-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Biketouringrook-...I only live a 1/2 hour away from Dresden and Uncle Tom's Cabin. In fact, I was the gardener for that property for several years when it was part of the St. Clair Parks Commission.
If I can be of any assistance to you for information about this area beforehand or help you in any way when you get here, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

shootingstar
03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Biketouringrook-...I only live a 1/2 hour away from Dresden and Uncle Tom's Cabin. In fact, I was the gardener for that property for several years when it was part of the St. Clair Parks Commission.
If I can be of any assistance to you for information about this area beforehand or help you in any way when you get here, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

Wow, what a tiny world! You might actually know my good friend. She's lived there for past few decades. I am sOOOOO curious...now. :rolleyes:

Whatever you do footloose, please, please support more efforts on cycling infrastructure there..ie. bike paths, bike lanes. The area does have potential. I realize those agricultural vehicles pose a challenge....

And I wish I could have bought a ton of butternut squash from your area. So cheap and fresh. It's expensive in Toronto, Vancouver, etc.

footloose
03-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow, what a tiny world! You might actually know my good friend. She's lived there for past few decades. I am sOOOOO curious...now. :rolleyes:

Whatever you do footloose, please, please support more efforts on cycling infrastructure there..ie. bike paths, bike lanes. The area does have potential. I realize those agricultural vehicles pose a challenge....

And I wish I could have bought a ton of butternut squash from your area. So cheap and fresh. It's expensive in Toronto, Vancouver, etc.

All my riding is done on the secondary, rural roads in this area. It mostly is pretty flat with some pretty mild hills in places. I throw my bike on the rack and drive to places that have hills just for the variety. There is not a lot in the way of "trails" or "lanes" but traffic is pretty light and I've never had any problems. It is pleasant riding with tidy farms and pastures to look at and a lot of crop land.:)

I'll MAIL you oodles of squash! haha It's sold by the wagonfull at the ends of farm driveways all over the county in the fall! I wish I could figure out how to post photos on this site...I have photos of the cutest farm done up with squash and pumpkin people all over the yard. And another of a "pumpkin people" zydeco band that is just hilarious!

Biketouringrook
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Footloose, thank you very much for the offer. I'm sure as I near that time I will have many, many questions and will surely contact you.

Biketouringrook
04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Okay guys, I take off in 4 more days. Here's a picture of my new set up. I will provide details upon my return. Happy cycle touring to you all!

shootingstar
04-04-2010, 05:31 PM
So it looks like little yellow duckie is going along for the adventure ride too! :)

I wish you a most memorable and safe journey. Remember to drop by any public library in North America to check into TE forums here about your ride.

We are here to learn, advise and cheer you on, Biketouringrook!

Tri Girl
04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I can't wait to hear ALL about your journey!!! Please update as often as you can. I'll be living vicariously through your adventure (so have a little extra adventure for me, too, please). ;)
Safe travels, happy miles, and blessings on your trip!

AnnieBikes
04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Have a wonderful and safe trip. I look forward to hearing about your trip! Stop and smell the roses!

Biketouringrook
04-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Oh God!!!!!This is so hard! The waether is very nice, but the wind and the hills are not so kind. Yesterday was my worse cycling day ever. I don't consider myself to be a weak person, but yesterday I PUSHED my bike up some of the most impossible hills. I have never seen hills so steep. The first two days were a blissful ride of 100 miles of bike trails. I had to find an emergency hotel because I went two miles out of the way to a campsite that was not a campsite. I was so tired. Today I have renewed energy and will continue on. I am told by the hoterl desk clerk to expect some of the same hills as yesterday.
Along other lines, the people that I have are so very nice and enjoyable to talk with. I have my people from all parts of life. I only have 11 more days to go. Oh boy! will write more later when I find another computer.

tulip
04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
There's no shame in walking if the hills are too hard. I see you are from South Florida...no matter how strong you are, if you can't practice riding hills, they will be difficult. Put it in a low gear and enjoy the scenery as it slowly passes by.

shootingstar
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM
Excellent Biketouringrook! Let us know your mileage in your next message to us --include the distance that you walked with bike up the hill. It still requires physical effort just to push the bike with weight upward.

So you will be done in 11 days? Thought you were planning to go up to the Canada-U.S. border.

Maybe you're superwoman. :D Or at least, you'll feel like it soon!

MomOnBike
04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
What's wrong with walking a few hills, I'd like to know? Really, you and your bike made it up and over the problem hills under your own steam - you just chose a more, um, convienent method. (At least that's what I told myself on tour)

You could also think of it as cross-training. :)

Keep it up, m'girl. All forward motion is good. Take pictures, and don't forget to blog.

Tri Girl
04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Glad you're having a lot of fun. There's NO shame in walking a hill- or crawling a hill- or stop and take a nap halfway up because you're so dead tired. :p

I'm so thrilled that you're having fun!!! Can't wait to hear from you again.

Biketouringrook
04-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you all so much! I was somewhat discouraged on that last message.
But now, this is it......I moving to Ohio! I love this place. I can hardly believe how nice and approachable the people are, even the teenagers. I am now on my back back. I didn't make it to Erie, PA. I stopped at Oberlin. I stayed one full day in Oberlin for picture taking, rest, and other stuff. On the morning of my leaving Oberlin to head for PA, the weather was really cold and it began raining little dropplets of ice (hail?). It kind of scared me and thought I should no head there.

Oberlin is so, so beautiful and peaceful. I love that place! no one is in a rush.
oh, oh, oh...let me tell ya....I got lost so many times. After I made my peace with the "hill gods" there was always someone around the corner to help me out. Boy, do I have some funny stories. I ran across one guy three times in my getting lost. He thought is was so funny. He gave me directions, and I still went the wrong way. So he decided to guide me through by driving ahead and parking his truck where I should turn (didn't I tell y'all these people were nice). Another guy passed me, went to his home, came back to find me and gave me some electrolite drink packages.

Now, here I am back at the hotel where I first took refuge fromi all of my discouragement from getting lost and overwhelmed by those darn hills. This time it is not my poor navigational skills that brought me here. I was actually 10 miles from my soon to be campsite, when I stopped at a dairy bar to get something to eat. While standing there a woman approached me and we talked about cycle touring and what I was doing. She said her husband is into cycle touring and is headed for the second time on some Smokey Mountain cycle tour. She then said "I hope your not planning to camp at Kokosing campground?" Of course I was...her next words were "they are no longer open." Just my luck! There were not hotels, motels, or other campgrounds close around, so I had to go back to a place that I remember (Comfort Inn) a distance of 12 miles away.

I love cycling in the cold. You may have a constant runny nose, but your water will stay cold, and you won't overheat. Last night was really cold. The RV'ers were worried about me. One guy offered me a small heater (Now where I am gonna put a heater in a tent). I put my tent up, set every thing inside, took a shower, ate something, climb into my nice 15 degree sleeping back and after about 30 minutes, I began to worry. It seemed that my feet were getting colder. I said to myself "okay rookie, this is some serious cold, this is not that Florida stuff, you don't want to freeze here and you don't have a car." I reached in my bag, pulled out my shoe covers for cold ridding and placed them on my feet. NOthing was happening. So I took my cycling tights placed my feet inside of the tights and after about 20 minutes I began to warm up. After about an hour it got kinda hot in the sleeping bag, but I remained.

Gosh, I love this stuff! If the slaves actually traveled this rounted they have every ounce of my respect. I was having a difficult time traveling 400 miles one way on bike, when they walked over 3000 miles. Those cars will spoil you.....

Well, this is it for now, I look so forward to picking up the bike trail again.

Biketouringrook
04-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I forgot this part......I'm at just a little over 400 miles, 17,150 calories burned, and about 100 miles of bike pushing hills. I think today I pushed up 5 hills. I don't think my legs work anymore....Also I have some chaffing, in spite of my chamois cream use. But it does not bother me, because I seem to do more walking than ridding.

As in the movie "Too Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything!"

Tri Girl
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Yay- glad to read a more upbeat tone in your post. :)
Some days are good, some not so much, huh? Sounds like you're really enjoying yourself and all the crazy adventures you're having. I've never been to Oberlin, OH- sounds like someplace I may have to visit some day.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and check back in often. :D

shootingstar
04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
She then said "I hope your not planning to camp at Kokosing campground?" Of course I was...her next words were "they are no longer open." Just my luck! There were not hotels, motels, or other campgrounds close around, so I had to go back to a place that I remember (Comfort Inn) a distance of 12 miles away.

I love cycling in the cold. You may have a constant runny nose, but your water will stay cold, and you won't overheat. Last night was really cold. The RV'ers were worried about me. One guy offered me a small heater (Now where I am gonna put a heater in a tent). I put my tent up, set every thing inside, took a shower, ate something, climb into my nice 15 degree sleeping back and after about 30 minutes, I began to worry. It seemed that my feet were getting colder. I said to myself "okay rookie, this is some serious cold, this is not that Florida stuff, you don't want to freeze here and you don't have a car." I reached in my bag, pulled out my shoe covers for cold ridding and placed them on my feet. NOthing was happening. So I took my cycling tights placed my feet inside of the tights and after about 20 minutes I began to warm up. After about an hour it got kinda hot in the sleeping bag, but I remained.

Gosh, I love this stuff! If the slaves actually traveled this rounted they have every ounce of my respect. I was having a difficult time traveling 400 miles one way on bike, when they walked over 3000 miles. Those cars will spoil you.....

Well, this is it for now, I look so forward to picking up the bike trail again.

And mind-boggling that the slaves were travelling under cover, the whole distance to freedom. Their meals on the run, couldn't have been ...as much as ours..at Burger King, etc. :o

I found that the hardest part when we went bike touring on our own, was backtracking with load on my bike if we got lost. AND after reaching motel or campsite, for some areas, cycling another 10 kms. or so, for dinner/groceries...after cycling 80-100 kms. with weight during the day.

So you haven't encountered any car drivers who will tell you: "Oh, it's just half hr. around the bend ahead". Yea, right..half an hr. by car. It ends up 1.5-2 hrs. by bike. :rolleyes:

How many photos have you taken so far?? :D Isn't it so lovely to encounter a chain hotel at times. It nearly seems like a mansion after a long, loaded bike ride.

Biketouringrook
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Hip, hip, hooray! I did it! I'm back in Milford relaxing in a nice hotel room. I may be tired, I may be sweaty, I may be a bit salty and I may be smelly, but rest assured, "I did it!" Everything went so perfectly, just like child birth. Hum.......I just may do this again............More later.

shootingstar
04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok --after figuring out this trip so far...so how was Pennsylvania which was your end destination this trip?

Good weather? Sleep well for now. You deserve it! :)

Biketouringrook
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Okay, I'm home now. I will edit my photos and place them on my Facebook and send you all the information.

I must tell you all this...... I am so grateful for the people that I met on this tour, even if only for a few minutes of conversation.
There was one particular guy that I met within the first few miles at the start of my tour as I stopped for a restroom break. He was also cycling. He stopped to talk with me about my tour, provided me with his phone number and said that I should call him if I needed anything. When I returned to Milford a couple of weeks later, I called and left a message thanking him for being so nice. He returned my call and invited me out for breakfast before I left. I couldn't go out because I only have cycling clothes and no regular dress clothes. So, instead, he brought me a big breakfast to the hotel, and we sat in the dinning area and ate breakfast together.

This is another example of the nice people that I met on my tour.

Tri Girl
04-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Glad you're back home safe and sound. What a great guy! I'm always on the skeptical side when it comes to strangers, so I'm not sure that if I took a tour all alone I would venture out and talk to many people.

shootingstar
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
I haven't done any overnight solo bike tours myself yet. But based on what I hear from others, sometimes people are curious about solo cycling tourers.

One woman I know when she was solo bike touring in Ireland, whenever she asked where she was going while she was cycling/temporarily stopping, she occasionally told the person her boyfriend was just ahead of her. She assessed each situation.

Twice when I was bike touring in Nova Scotia out in the countryside with dearie, 2 different female car drivers stopped along the way to ask if I was in "trouble" or if I was ok.

I was. I just stopped for a breather. Dearie was 2-3 kms. ahead of me. :p
It was kind of each woman driver.

Trek-chick
04-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Glad you are back. This has been my favorite thread on the forum. I would love to do a solo tour one day. Looking forward to the pictures. Sounds like it was a great trip for you.

footloose
04-26-2010, 03:09 AM
So glad you're back and enjoyed yourself so thoroughly! You experienced the same kind of treatment from people that I have while motorcycling all over North America. People are wonderful!

Now make sure you contact me when you plan your Ontario portion of the trip. As Shootingstar mentioned, summers here can be quite warm and humid but for someone from Florida shouldn't be a problem. We don't get hurricanes but we get afternoon thunderstorms sometimes and the odd tornado. But it's flat here and you can see them coming....:rolleyes::D There's also lots of perfectly normal, mild days. :)

I'll assist you any way I can and maybe I'll even get to ride with you for a bit.:)

Anne-Marie (wyndyacre at yahoo.ca)

shootingstar
04-26-2010, 06:32 AM
We don't get hurricanes but we get afternoon thunderstorms sometimes and the odd tornado. But it's flat here and you can see them coming....:rolleyes::D There's also lots of perfectly normal, mild days. :)

Before you freak out bikingtourook, southwestern Ontario's tornadoes are VERY rare.

jezbael
04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Wow, you're my hero. Thank you for keeping us up to date!

footloose
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Before you freak out bikingtourook, southwestern Ontario's tornadoes are VERY rare.

Yes, that's true!:D

Biketouringrook
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info on thunderstorms....because I will absolutely "freak out" at he hint of one. I pushed almost 70 miles back to Milford because I was told that a storm was expected later in the evening. It did rain, but no fireworks.

Here are just a few photos from my tour.

Biketouringrook
04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
I guess one or some did not take....Let's try this

shootingstar
04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
I can see it already..when you get to footloose's area, you will want to spend at least 2 days there, if time is spent talking with the guide/curator at each site. There will be 3 different sites for you to see in that area...which we saw last summer.

I understand that at the Buxton site there is some sort of annual event..during the summer which footloose may know more about.

Biketouringrook
04-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi, other photos have been posted. You can find them on Facebook under "Lynnteer Bennett." Hope you all will enjoy them.

footloose
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
I can see it already..when you get to footloose's area, you will want to spend at least 2 days there, if time is spent talking with the guide/curator at each site. There will be 3 different sites for you to see in that area...which we saw last summer.

I understand that at the Buxton site there is some sort of annual event..during the summer which footloose may know more about.

I happened to be working in the area of Uncle Tom's Cabin today so stopped around at the museum on my lunch break. It's not officially open for the season yet (opens on the Canadian Victoria Day long weekend in May) but I was pretty sure Steve and Brenda would be there, getting things ready and they were. :)
The website isn't updated with this information yet but I found out that their Emancipation Day celebration is July 31st this year. Just so you're aware...that is a long weekend in Ontario with the civic holiday of August 1st.

The Buxton National Historic Site has a Homecoming Weekend celebration but that is held on the Labour Day weekend in Sept.

Have you decided on a date yet for the rest of your trip?

Biketouringrook
04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks Footloose for the information. I don't htink it will be this summer. I'm looking more towards this same time next year.

You know, I am so whipped and so tired to the point that I should not want to see a bike any time soon. but I can't seem to stay off of that darn "crazy guy on a bike" touring site. I look at that site and I'm ready to go again, as if I don't know what's already out there waiting...........That's the fever

Catrin
06-30-2010, 08:16 AM
I just found this thread, lo these months later. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and looking forward to hearing about your travels next time :)

kalilileth
07-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I've just found your forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I had 2 wheels attached to my body over 45 years ago, and will have to have them surgically removed before I am finally put in my box.

It seems that my "normal" way of life has recently developed into a minority sport called "touring". And it seems from the internet that the boys have muscled in on the action to make it their own!

So it was nice to find a womens forum.

As child, the bike was the main way we all moved around - going to the shops; playing sport; heading off for long summer picnics and generally exploring.

As a teenager, it gave great freedom to avoid being reliant on bus timetables and making it in time to catch the last bus home.

In my twenties, in combination with a tent, it was a passport to free holidays & long weekends - and free everyday transport.

In my thirties & forties it was the only way (other than shanks mare) into town.

And now it is time to hit the road for the big trip...the one I dreamed of as a child...the one I would do when I "grew up". Europe, Arabia, India, Africa...

And despite occasional forays into sharing travelling space with others, I still prefer going solo, avoiding campsites where possible & slinging the tent over a wall in a field, or in woods or a quiet beach and watching the sun set over the Atlantic.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that there is no such thing as bad weather...just bard clothing and have cycled & camped all year round.

For the last 25 years, I have been accompanied by my trusty 27" wheeled Peugeot, but the time has come to choose a new travelling partner. But the boys have cornered the market with their high crossbars (which are alien to me for the last 25 years, and something which I am not sure I want to spent the next 25 years of my life attached to). I want a new steel touring bike - 26" inch wheels - drop handlebars - metal mudguards - dynamo lighting - front and rear racks - and zillions of low gears (age and hill gradient seem to have proportional links).

I'm not a bike techie - can mend a puncture and do minor maintainence, but the boys sites are generally extremely techie minded. Being female, I want something efficient, solid, reliable...and preferably black.

So I'm interested on how other women have managed to find something similar.

It's a bank holiday weekend here and a major race festival all week so I'm heading off now for a few days, to get away from the craziness of the traffic, despite grey skies and rain on the wind.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and recommendations on touring bikes...

Biketouringrook
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Kalilileth,
Very nice reading.....I can hardly wait for my classes to end so I can get back out there.

Lets see........touring bikes......well, I have the 08 Cannondale t1 and have been in love with it since day one....In viewing a lot of the journals on the website crazyguyonabike, I couldn't help but notice that there are a lot of people touring with the Surly Long Haul Trucker.

I've never toured with one, but there must be something about the bike being that so many are ridding them. You may wanna do a bit of research on this or just view the site and see what other tourers are doing...Hope this helps