PDA

View Full Version : From Mountain Biking to Road Biking

JWo
07-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this site and am excited about joining. I have been mountain biking with my husband the past two years and have (for the most part) enjoyed it. I have taken some nasty spills and have some pretty bad scars on my legs to prove it but overall its been fun.

I had a baby last October so my riding has definitely slowed down. It's tough to get on MB trail when you have a baby at home. So, I decided to get a road bike. I just got a Trek Madone 4.5 and I LOVE it! I was always so fearful of getting on the "skinny" tires but it's been so much better than expected. I can just get out of my house and hit the road. My neighborhood is really hilly and has some tough climbs to train on. My goal is to get strong enough to be able to pull my daughter in the Chariot. Wish me luck!

Any of you out there tried road biking after mountain biking? Any advice, thoughts to share? I never thought I would convert but I'm glad I've joined the roadies though I will still enjoy a MB trail when I get the chance. :)

indigoiis
07-29-2009, 06:50 AM
I went from a ten speed (high school) to a bmx style bike (college) to a beach cruiser/klunker (when my daughter was a baby to when she turned 10 and I put an extension on the back for her) to a mountain bike someone gave me (2 years) to a cross/touring bike (2 years) to a "proper" road bike (now!) All I can say is it is really nice to achieve the kind of speed on a road bike not possible with nubby tires... otherwise, it didn't take me long to get used to it!

Welcome to TE!