PDA

View Full Version : Cycling tourists-demographics

shootingstar
07-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I bumped across this older document on a recent study done on demographic profile of tourists who use cycling as one of their vacation activities/transportation mode.

Relative to the average Canadian Pleasure Traveler, Cyclists are more likely to be male (54.9%) and 18 to 44 years of age. Cyclists are over-represented among young couples, young singles and mature families with teenage children. This is a moderately affluent segment with an above-average level of education (38.9% have a university degree – ranked 7th of the 21 outdoor activity types) and above-average household incomes ($78,827 – ranked 9th of the 21 outdoor activity types). They are over-represented among residents of Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia.

More info. for document's abstract & full document:
http://www.tourism.gov.on.ca/english/research/travel_activities/cycling_cdn.htm

e.e.cummings
10-04-2009, 03:19 AM
That's a lot of information for the marketing agencies to target us cyclists!

I can speak to some of the info: you pretty much need to be single or have older kids to really get into cycling because you cannot go long distances or commit to multi-day cycling trips with young children. Yes, you can tow them or have them on a tandem but they have to be as into as you - I would not tow a child for 200 km on Le P'tit Train du Nord trail! I can only speak to my personal experience, but when I attempt to go out on an interesting ride, my 9 year old son wants to stop everywhere and look at everything. It never amounts to a long ride. But it is a different ride - we enjoy the journey, however short it is, and I cherish those moments. However, I do look forward to the day when he wants to do the long trips with us.

Here in Quebec, with the route verte, I am not surprised that cyclists are over-represented - we have (and are building more and more) a great infratstructure for cyclists. This year Montreal introduced the Bixi bike taxi system around the city, and you can see how the bike paths have improved and expanded at the same time.

tulip
10-04-2009, 05:08 PM
18-44 covers a whole lot of ground and doesn't tell me much. But the other stuff is interesting.

FWIW, my first cycling tour was when I was 15. No higher education at that time, and certainly no income.

shootingstar
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Well tulip, your experience at that more tender age..sounds like more a European child's experience..at least in Germany. I was told by dearie and German ex-pat employees in last job that it is abit more common to see children cycle-touring with their parents in Germany. Can include cycling along with one's own little bike pannier.

I desperately want to believe that many people with less education AND less income, would make an active choice to do cycling as a means of transportation during a vacation.

But my gut reaction believes the opposite: people from those backgrounds if they have a choice, they will go out of their way to avoid a long cycling trip, because to them, vacation is to not feel physical pain/discomfort (which can happen on long bike trips) but as a means to rest/treat oneself. Particularily if they have low-paying, physically demanding jobs or jobs with long hrs. So it's bus, train ...if they don't have a car.

That's just a generalization...based on several relatives who haven't finished high school, came from China as an adult during a time when the country used to have alot more bikes (not true anymore), and who have jobs here that are low-paying and physically demanding/repetitive. First thing these relatives did within first 5 yrs. of immigrating to Canada: get driver's training, get their license and their own car.

kiwibug
10-08-2009, 06:25 AM
I think that the demographic thing (education and income level) has more to do with being able to afford the equipment necessary for a comfortable tour. I'm sure that you can do a cycling tour without a bike that is over 1000$ and without fancy shorts, but I don't think it would be nearly as comfortable.

I think that cycling is geared more to upper-middle class - most people I know wouldn't dream of spending over a thousand dollars on a bike. Then again, a lot of people are willing to spend that much on a high end television, and to me it evens out - I use my bike more than I watch tv.

Crankin
10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
In fact, it has always amazed me how people with lower incomes will save and save for a vacation to Disney (which to me is a major rip off) and not consider another type of trip to do with their family.
I wish we had known more about touring when my kids were little, because I think they would have loved it.
Of course, most people, as said before, would not consider a cycling vacation, no matter what their income, because their idea of a vacation is to go to a resort, and lie around drinking frothy drinks, try out some hair braiding, and parasailing... I have seen enough of that in Bermuda, Aruba, and Puerto Vallarta. All of those places seemed the same, except for the nice historical trips we did in Puerta Vallarta. Even our vacations that aren't cycling tours include some active components, like walking, hiking, etc. My friends who don't ride think we are insane.

shootingstar
10-10-2009, 07:02 AM
In fact, it has always amazed me how people with lower incomes will save and save for a vacation to Disney (which to me is a major rip off) and not consider another type of trip to do with their family.
I wish we had known more about touring when my kids were little, because I think they would have loved it.
Of course, most people, as said before, would not consider a cycling vacation, no matter what their income, because their idea of a vacation is to go to a resort, and lie around drinking frothy drinks, try out some hair braiding, and parasailing... I have seen enough of that in Bermuda, Aruba, and Puerto Vallarta. All of those places seemed the same, except for the nice historical trips we did in Puerta Vallarta. Even our vacations that aren't cycling tours include some active components, like walking, hiking, etc. My friends who don't ride think we are insane.

I guess people's idea of a fantasy environment might be different from ours. I only see myself doing nothing in a faraway place on vacation such in a resort...when I become frail, old /disabled that I can't be mobile.

My curiosity about new environments when I go on vacation, is great enough, that I must explore the place and see the local people.

I don't expect alot of people to want to cycle during their vacation, but at least make the effort to move around outside the confines of their hotel into the external society of the local area. Unless they physically sick.