PDA

View Full Version : Any riders in Grapeview/Allyn, WA area?

BikerDeb
07-09-2005, 11:09 AM
Looking for other riders in the Grapeview/Allyn area that can get away during the day to ride 1-2 hours (20-30 miles) 3 days a week and longer rides on one day of the weekend (40-60 miles). I work from home so have the luxury of getting away when I can and when the hubby and kids don't need me, of course.

I did the STP last year for my 40th and ride the Sunrise Century in Wenatchee (this was my 2nd year). Been back into biking for the last 2 years after being out of it for about 10. Just went from a hybrid to cyclocross bike this year. Not a fast rider but not a slug either. Finding if ride with others I keep motivated and increase my speed. Plus seems to be a bit more safety in numbers in this remote area. My current riding partner has been down with a lung infection, so losing some of my summer motivation.

Email me if you can get away to ride.

deb

JustAGirl
07-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Deb,
I'm in Gig Harbor, work from home also, flexible schedule, all that. Doing the Courage Classic in a couple weeks... Kiddies are home most of the time for summer but I can get away to ride during the week. I will PM you my address.

April

Andi
02-18-2006, 08:59 PM
I am doing the STP for the first time this year. Any good tips for this length of ride. Have only been back to riding for the last 2 years. Love it and am looking forward to this ride. We have the training plans from STP but any other info would be great.

bikerHen
02-19-2006, 10:07 PM
I am doing the STP for the first time this year. Any good tips for this length of ride. Have only been back to riding for the last 2 years. Love it and am looking forward to this ride. We have the training plans from STP but any other info would be great.

:D :D :D Welcome, welcome, welcome! I've been waiting for another road rider in the area. And doing STP! I've been thinking about it, but have pretty well talked myself out of it this year. But I am training for my first century in June. Are you riding on the road much this time of year? I'm looking for someone to start doing a 50 mile weekly ride with as soon as the streets are clean enough to use my road bike. Currently I'm doing 30 miles on my mtb every week. Please PM me! I would love to chat more. BikerHen, who lives waaay up on the northside.

BikerDeb, sorry for the thread interuption.:) I just lost my head for a moment.

MM_QFC!
02-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Andi,
Re: STP - there are a couple of other STP threads in this Northwest section containing hopefully helpful information posted in recent years, so take a look at them (might be on other than first page in the section, so look beyond
p. 1, ok?).
Sounds like you have the training ride mileage guide already and that's a good start. You might also want to check to see if there will be any STP training seminars that you could attend. I don't think there are any that are usually scheduled in the Spokane area - just around Puget Sound and in Portland in the months before the ride, but there is a seminar packet online (pdf) that you could download and have it be a good substitute (it's distributed at the seminars also).
I rode the STP for the first time after I was riding for 2 years too and it's a great ride and experience. Be sure to include plenty of practice in group rides during your training as, regardless of whether you ride it in 1 or 2 days, there will be plenty of other people on the road, riding with you most of the time. It's both well-supported and well-marked - usually with hot pink dan henrys - Subaru SAG vehicles and the GoldWing motorcycle association in the area is out in force every year, all day/both days all along the route ensuring that no one is left unattended if there is need for help.
The only other item I'd stress is that you'd be better served by setting up a training plan that focuses on building your mileage for distance, as this is not a hilly ride. There are a couple of pulls that everyone seems to focus on and talk about and first-timers have a tendency to get all worked-up and nervous over them in advance, but there really isn't reason to; if you incorporate some rollers and hills into your training program, you'll really be just fine. The main focus should be plenty of saddle time as it's either a double century in 1 day or back-to-back centuries on the weekend, so your preparation should have a couple of long rides a few weekends beforehand to approximate the experience. Make sure to use your training to test out how you want your bike, gear, clothes, nourishment for before, during and post-ride to all work well-ahead of time so that you can be as comfortable and as well-nourished as possible. Especially know what works best for you food and drink-wise so that you can have the same on the STP.
If you have more questions about it, after reading the information on those other STP-specific threads, just give a shout; there are several others here who've done the ride and can also offer their insights and suggestions from their experiences too.
Mary

Andi
02-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks.

We will be riding with others. I'm more concerned about all of the people rather than the BIG hill by Puyallup.

We lived in South King County for 25 years so know the area well. I have contacted the Cascade Bike Club regarding holding any seminars in the Spokane area. But so far they have not scheduled any. I have printed all the info off the website for the STP and will use that.

We have been trying different foods and drinks. Will continue that until we get it figured out. Being a diabetic adds a challenge but working through it with very few problems.