PDA

View Full Version : squealing brakes?

Lynne
07-08-2005, 11:56 AM
So the brakes on my Redline are squealing like a stuck pig. They are clean and I've cleaned the rim and there's plenty of pad. Any ideas? It's kind of embarrassing; much like a car that has a loud muffler. Not a good idea to try and avoid braking during rush hour traffic downtown Portland on my way home!!

CorsairMac
07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
usually when your brakes squeal they're toed wrong. It means the back part of the brake is hitting first instead of the front. Try toeing the brake shoes so the front hits first and that should stop the squealing.

RoadRaven
07-08-2005, 02:02 PM
CRC works a treat here

Its spray on stuff for squeaky bits... we don't use grease or wax or stuff like that on our bikes... but a tiny squirt of CRC when noisy, thats all we do

DirtDiva
07-12-2005, 02:50 AM
CRC is great stuff (right up there with No. 8 wire ;)). I *think* it translates as WD40 in American.

SadieKate
07-12-2005, 07:05 AM
If it's the pad squealing, do not spray any kind of lubricant on it. Sure, it will stop squealing but it will also stop stopping you.

Toe-in is usually the problem as Corsair said. The pads may also be glazed. Open up the brakes and use an emery board on them. You can probably find instructions on how to adjust the angle ion Sheldon Brown's web site or just a general 'net search. Just a very thin piece of cardboard under the back end of the brake while you adjust the angle.

bones
08-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I had squealing brakes for a few years. My bike is now 17 years old. I went to a few bike shops in the area and each told me that replacing them would do nothing they were still good and it was just the humidity. This year I got fed up and replaced the brake pads anyway and now they are silent.