PDA

View Full Version : Flat tire adventures...

bluerider
07-07-2005, 08:37 AM
I've gone and done it. Fixed my first flat! :p
On my way home from a 30km ride and psssssttttttt...the rear wheel goes as I climb out of the saddle up a hill...I had to ride on the deflated tire for a bit and was wondering if I could've done any permanent damage to the rim? :( Ideally would've like to stop but it's a narrow road and was more interested in getting somewhere safe to stop. Anyhoo, had to lug it home and change it. Am proud I figured it out (after an hour!) but am wondering now what would've happened if I was on the road with a hand pump. There is NO way I could've thrown 120 pounds of air into that tire. I guess most people just pump it enough to get them home? :confused:

Geonz
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Yea, you can bang up a rim riding on a flat tire. Better to jog along with it (one reason I try & wear the industrial strength bra if there's a risk of that).

I keep the box along - the one with the directions on it :-) Otherwise I forget a step like, oh, checking the tire for the glass that got me so I get it fixed and then it goes flat right away.

Most people I know either give it enough to get it home or they have CO2 cartridges; I have a Road Morph that *will* do the high pressure even though it's bigger. Hey, I can handle the weight :-)

bikerz
07-07-2005, 09:23 AM
I second the road morph endorsement - I have been able to get 120 pounds into a tire with that pump pretty easily...

CorsairMac
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I had my first flat last Fri wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out in the middle of nowhere. I have been carrying a CO2 cartridge/pump combo that fits in my seat pack and the LBS kid that recommended - God Bless him!! All I had to do was pop the cartridge in, put the little pump on the valve and press the lever and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I had so much pressure it shot the little bitty pump right our of my hands and across the parking lot!! Once I retrieved it I was ready for it and got my tire inflated and was rolling in nothing - ahh - flat?! LOL I'll swear by the CO2 pump/cartridge unit every time!!!

wabisabi
07-07-2005, 01:10 PM
I third the co2 cartridge suggestion--I have the little inflater thing with it. I use the hand pump and finish up with the cartridge. You can also get little tire guages.

bluerider
07-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks ladies. Will pick up a few canisters this weekend at the LSB.

Happy riding!!!

archibella
07-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I have a Road Morph too-- I never have problems getting up to 110+psi. I always get asked at the beginning of a ride (while testing tire pressure) if I need a real pump, lol! But I always refuse because this pump works so well. Just wanted to throw a kudos in: the other day I noticed the pin that holds the little folding foot was gone! So I contact Topeak customer service (by email) to ask where to order a replacement from. Customer Service asked me for my address and promptly sent me a replacement pin and foot-- free of charge. I would definitely recommend them.

SadieKate
07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
If you are a solo rider (or with improperly equipped friends) and take only CO2 cartridges out into the wilderness (i.e., no friendly people to help out), I would seriously consider taking a pump along. I have flatted both tires at once (staple in one and glass in the other), plus you can't help out anyone on the road. I'd feel like I had to conserve my CO2 just in case. A pump will get you home every time even if the pressure isn't as high as you'd like. I always have a patch kit along so I can help out others or if I go through my lone extra tube.

runnergirl
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
If I get two flats on the same ride, I'm just gonna call the LBS to pick me up. Isn't that why they put the shop number on the frame? :D

Wendy
07-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I was fixing a flat Sunday morning when some bozo decided he had to help (I was doing fine on my own, thankyouverymuch). When he was putting the wheel back on the bike, he knocked my rear derailleur way out of alignment and I couldn't even ride the bike. It's still at the LBS, four days later, and I'm wishing I'd kept a backup bike.

SadieKate
07-14-2005, 11:04 AM
If I get two flats on the same ride, I'm just gonna call the LBS to pick me up. Isn't that why they put the shop number on the frame? :DMy LBS is currently doing a tour of the Northwest USA by beer courtesy of me. This would probably extend the tour at least to the east coast and if I were mtbiking the tour would have to go 'round the world. :eek: