PDA

View Full Version : National Qualifier

Pink Kona
07-06-2005, 11:29 AM
This past weekend our local Velodrome hosted a National Qualifier event boasting both sprint and endurance events. A sprint event is usually classified as less than 3k and an endurance event more than 3k. I've been having some success as of late with track racing and decided to give it a go.

We started with a flying 200 m - meaning you circle two laps. The first lap you stay up near the rail and get your body ready for a hard sprint effort. With one lap to go you hear a bell, similiar to preme laps, and then are timed from the 200m mark to the finish line. My legs were feeling fast - my split time was 13:26 seconds. They then paired the fastest qualifier with the slower and we complete a match sprint. Best two out of three wins. While we waited for the match sprints to start all of the women completed a 500m TT. This was another event I have not competed in before- all I knew was to go as fast as humanly possible. A few feet from the finish line I had a severe stomach cramp that haulted optimal performance - my time was 41:48. Despite the hitch in my giddy up I still managed to place 2nd overall - 1st went to Annette Hanson who has won a national championship.

Next we did the match heats - I was paired with a strong Cat 1 roadie who has just recently taken up track racing. The match sprints are similar to the flying 200 - in that you complete 2 laps and first person across the finish line wins. It is a game of strategy and speed - usually the first lap is slow paced and the second sees all the action. Amazingly - I was able to out sprint her in both races - placing me in the finals.

I was paired up against the other winner of a heat - she swept her competition as well. She is a strong, fast track racer who focuses only on track. I have a lot of respect for her. Same game- 2 lap scratch race, best two out of three wins. I pulled the same move as I did on the previous opponent and it was a little close for comfort pulling through the finish line first. The second match she lagged behind - I waited for her jump, which never came .... juked her a little and then hit the gas with 300m to go. Fortunately she was a little too far behind and didn't react fast enough to my attack. That was a good win.

Lastly I competed in a 15 lap scratch race - one of the endurance events. There were only 4 women, including myself, one of which was from B.C. So regardless of how I did I knew I was locked into qualifying. We did lap pulls - rotating lead position until the final 5 laps or so and some attacks were thrown. Then with one lap to go the action heated up and next thing I knew I was increasing my throttle through corner three and four without standing and passed through the finish line. Two golds and a silver. Not bad.

Please bare in mind I just started track racing a month ago. Nationals here I come!

DirtDiva
07-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Wow! Good going!

CorsairMac
07-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaa Pink!! that ROCKSSSSS

slinkedog
07-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow Pink! That's totally wonderful! My hubby used to race track and went to nationals many times. His specialty was the points race... usually between 65 and 100 laps. Track racing is such a gas to watch! You must be into serious speed!! :)

Where are nationals going to be this year?

BikeMomma
07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I can say from my gut that I am awed by your success - both on the road with the criteriums and now with track racing - and am so proud (honored!) to have helped you with just the eensy-weensy bit of knowledge I put out there to get you started. You've obviously got the raw talent to go far, Pink, and that is soooo truly a gift. ;)

I wish you luck with the Nationals and pleeze pleeze pleeze keep us posted. Where, when, and results, of course.

You GO Girl!!!!!!! :cool:
BikeMomma

Pink Kona
07-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow thanks Bike Momma - that is one of the kindest and most sincere responses I have ever received. Thank you all for the encouragement.

I will of course let you know how it goes in LA. The exact dates are August 10-13. In the meantime I'm preparing for battle this weekend at a local crit called Derby Days - with $80 premes! It should be a rockin' time. I'll post the results of course....

spazzdog
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Way to go Pink!

Golly... we can say we knew you when you just started (and we have the posts to prove it :D ) Keep it up grrl! We're rooting for you.

spazz

BikeMomma
07-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow thanks Bike Momma - that is one of the kindest and most sincere responses I have ever received. Thank you all for the encouragement.
Meant every single word. :D
Good luck this weekend, and of course, in August. :D
:)
Speed rules....
BikeMomma

bikerINco
07-08-2005, 06:30 AM
congrats!! it's so cool that you are doing awesome!! No you are one of the great ones!! keep it up.

RoadRaven
07-08-2005, 02:04 PM
wow... awesome

I would love to ride in a velodrome...

Thanks for sharing

Pink Kona
07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Thought you might enjoy these - it's been a challenge to find good photos lately because our resident photographer has been away at Junior Nationals.

BikeMomma
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Awesome, awesome pics, Pink! Thanks for sharing! You're lookin' rather trim since your first crit (the pics you posted your first race out awhile back). I can tell you've been very active on the bike! ;)

How many miles and hours per week are you putting in during training? Just curious. With my busy schedule, I've managed about 140-145 miles a week, although the last two weeks have been crazy with family stuff, so my riding has been shortened lately. Back in the day, I used to put in about 180-190/week, so I think I'm doing well with the mileage I have now and am showing steady improvement. Getting the old form back...feels great. Big grin here. :D

Pink Kona
07-21-2005, 05:56 AM
Ah shucks - thanks for the compliment. Since last October when I joined the Starbucks team I've lost about 30 pounds. It feels great! My diet hasn't really changed much - but just putting the miles in on the bike has made an enormous difference.

Since I've started training at the track and racing Wednesday, Friday and during the weekend my total miles during the week have gone down to about 125-150. Total hours - right around 8-10 depending on the workout. I just looked at my heart rate monitor calendar from January - and that's when I was putting in the serious hours and miles. (About 200-230 with 15-20 hours a week!) It's nice having a life during the summer!

That's awesome you are able to put that many miles in with kids! Do you have any events coming up?

RoadRaven
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Pink - cool photos... even the outfit looks fast and smart!

Well done... you may have been guarenteed a place... but you still snaffled wins!!

Um... I know I'm repeating myself... but I would lurve to ride in a velodrome

BikeMomma
07-25-2005, 05:11 PM
... but I would lurve to ride in a velodrome
...with ya there, RR!! :D :D :D
BikeMomma

BikeMomma
07-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Since I've started training at the track and racing Wednesday, Friday and during the weekend my total miles during the week have gone down to about 125-150. Total hours - right around 8-10 depending on the workout. I just looked at my heart rate monitor calendar from January - and that's when I was putting in the serious hours and miles. (About 200-230 with 15-20 hours a week!) It's nice having a life during the summer!

That's awesome you are able to put that many miles in with kids! Do you have any events coming up?
Sounds like I'm putting in about as much time as you right now. Usually a 40-miler on Tuesday evenings, 30 miles on Thursdays, around 50 on Saturday a.m.'s, and then I usually try to fit (more like squeeze) a ride in somewhere amongst all that (like, for instance, tonight...I'm hoping to get in about 20 miles, which is up and back to the nearest good hill).

It helps that my husband supports me, realizes that I love cycling, and that nothing can keep me away from it now that I'm back in the thick of it. It has been amazing to find myself again after all these years not riding. I so completely dedicated myself to my husband and family that I forgot about myself, really. The confidence it gives me is amazing. ;)

I work full-time, take classes (almost have that degree finally! whoohoo!), have the kids & hubby, and the house to take care of....it IS very hard, but even though cycling makes me busier, it keeps me grounded and sane. I just decided that where there is a will, there's got to be a way, and by Geezus, I'm gonna find that way. Lunch hour rides, rides from work to home, trainer in between chasing kids....and then my dh's work schedule changed, which allows me time during the week to ride in the evenings on group rides. It's been great! :D

No events coming up - not probably any this year as I'm still in the 're-building' phase, but I'm still thinking of doing at least a couple races next year, probably the local ones here in Merced (Merced Criterium & the McClane Pacific, both early spring). We'll see what the home life allows me to do...all depends on that.