PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone like Tempe Bicycle?

HappyTexasMom
07-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I tacked this onto the "bike shops in AZ" thread and then thought maybe it should have it's own.

I saw some recommendations for Landis Cyclery, who I will probably try next. But Tempe Bicycle is within easy biking distance for me, and I like the idea of building a relationship with a bike shop I can easily get to. Has anyone had good results with getting a full bike fit done there?

I've never had a "real" bike before, just Walmart/Target bikes. I need to get fit and try out some different styles of hybrids and roads to try and find what my "perfect" bike is. And then I need to see what can be done to my current mountain bike (which I'm beginning to think is too long for me between saddle and handlebars) to make it more tolerable to ride until I can afford that bike. And it needs a huge tuneup...hasn't been taken care of well at all. It's got some squeaks and rattles that should be resolved before things get worse (the cost of all this may push me into getting another bike, rather than putting money in this one, I don't know).

I'm in Tempe. I don't mind traveling to a point, but would prefer to have someone close enough by that I can reasonably build a relationship with them.

PinkBike
07-14-2009, 11:39 AM
tempe bike is a good general-purpose or all-around bike shop. i go there for parts sometimes, they should be just fine for what you want to do. but when it comes time for fitting a bike for you i'd still go with landis or domenics (which is right down the street). they're higher end.

Running Mommy
07-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Tempe bicycle seems to cater to the college students. Like Pink, I would call them a general "all purpose" bike shop. While Landis and Domenics are more what I would call a "pro shop". I would go there for a pro fit, road bike advice, and higher end builds- or advice.

HappyTexasMom
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Tempe bicycle seems to cater to the college students.

Yeah, after going over to Landis, I see the difference. Tempe Bicycle seems to have a disproportionately large selection of cruisers & hybrids, which would fit catering to the university crowd. They also didn't seem to have much in the way of gear & accessories (although I only briefly looked).

tulip
07-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know if you know, HTM, but Running Mommy has a bike shop in Goodyear. Best go check it out.

HappyTexasMom
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I do know...it's just a bit of a trek for me (30 miles). That said, my gut is telling me that's where I should go when I'm ready to check out bikes.

tulip
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
30 miles is a trek in Arizona? I thought that was like going to get coffee at the corner store. Well, I stand corrected.

HappyTexasMom
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
30 miles is a trek in Arizona? I thought that was like going to get coffee at the corner store. Well, I stand corrected.

When it's on the opposite side of a congested metro area, it is. And when you have much closer bike shops available. :) I don't mind the drive, really (ride when I'm better LOL), but on the other hand, I don't know that I want that to be "my" shop that I'm going to for maintenance, tune ups, etc. My prime time for running in to get errands done is after work (i.e., rush hour), *not* a time that I want to be traversing the Phoenix valley. (Also note that the bike route puts me going through some sketchy areas that I'm not very comfortable riding in).

sarahspins
07-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I do know...it's just a bit of a trek for me (30 miles). That said, my gut is telling me that's where I should go when I'm ready to check out bikes.

If it makes you feel better at all.. the closest LBS to me (well, if you don't count REI!) is just shy of 40 miles.. all the others are over 40, a couple are nearly 50 :)

Needless to say, I didn't buy my bike at REI, but I do find myself in there a LOT :rolleyes:

I'd go see Running Mommy since it's not as far as I have to go :D

HappyTexasMom
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Sarah, where *is* your closest LBS? I'm generally familiar with where you live...my parents are in Round Rock (and there's a LBS there); I grew up in Austin and Wimberley :)

tulip
07-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Well, I've only been to Arizona once, and that was around Tuscon, so I don't know much.

I go to the bike shop maybe twice a year. I just don't need to go more often than that. I even go up to DC to my favorite shop once in a while, but I haven't been back there in a while (that's a hike)

sarahspins
07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm about 25 miles outside of Round Rock... so pretty far out there :p

There is actually a LBS in Round Rock, but I wasn't terribly thrilled with my experiences there a few years ago, so I kind of forget it's even there... but it's still a 25 mile drive, so not exactly close.

Dogmama
08-11-2009, 04:05 AM
30 miles through Phx can be a long time. 30 miles through TUCSON, where they city government cannot time the lights is lifetime. Saguaro cacti are still laughing about commuters who think they're going to get across a 15 mile stretch of town during rush hour when college is in session & snow birds are thick in 60 minutes - as us locals say, "no way, Jose"

(I'm SO READY to be out of this heat)

Back to the original poster - if you're in Tucson, check out Arizona Cyclist. They did an awesome tune up on my bike, Even matched the little cable cap thingies color to the bike.

KnottedYet
08-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Could you buy the bike from Estrella and ask them to recommend a shop near you for maintainence? http://www.estrellamountaincyclery.com/ride/

Bike shop people seem to all know each other. It might be cool to have the inside scoop from another shop. (and I'd love to have RM help me choose a new bike!) :p