PDA

View Full Version : Taxi cabs in NYC

cyclingqueen2k9
07-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Yesterday I was riding my bike in mid town and a person in a taxi randomly opened their door(The cab had just barely stopped) and I almost ran headlong into it. I would have been pretty messed up with the glass and the door. Since moving to NYC my cycling has become more dangerous:(

maryellen
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Yes, it is essential to keep 3 feet distance from stopped vehicles (esp cabs w passengers) to avoid being doored. Glad you didn't get hurt.

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
People are always throwing their cars doors open without looking behind them. Especially taxi passengers! You can depend on people to fling their car door open at the least expected moment....so best to try to avoid riding in the 'Door Zone' at all costs. Cyclists get killed this way regularly- they hit the open door, fly over it, and land in the path of a moving car.
Keep safe!

Biciclista
07-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I am sure you will be supervigilant from now on (like I am) It's not just taxis!

Zen
07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
And not just NYC

PamNY
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Since it's usually impossible to avoid the door zone in NYC, I recommend slowing down a bit and being very vigilant.

I recently saw a "watch for bikes" sticker in a cab. That's good, but I doubt it will make much difference.

Pam

girlonbike
02-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Yesterday I was riding my bike in mid town and a person in a taxi randomly opened their door(The cab had just barely stopped) and I almost ran headlong into it. I would have been pretty messed up with the glass and the door. Since moving to NYC my cycling has become more dangerous:(
Yeah, but there are so many "safe" places, like Central Park, Hudson River bike way, Prospect Park...

PamNY
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but there are so many "safe" places, like Central Park, Hudson River bike way, Prospect Park...

Heh. I'm glad you put safe in quotation marks. I've seen two bikers loaded into ambulances on the Hudson River path. Though all the places you named are indeed safer than the street.

PscyclePath
02-24-2010, 05:37 AM
One of the best demonstrations I've seen is the way that LCIs are taught now to demonstrate the door zone hazard and how to deal with it... This is the way I teach it in traffic skills classes, at any rate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQ7aID1jHs

And then you have two-door sedans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YixMuZpm88

girlonbike
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Heh. I'm glad you put safe in quotation marks. I've seen two bikers loaded into ambulances on the Hudson River path. Though all the places you named are indeed safer than the street.

YeaH, especially summer time, when visitors/tourists start riding/renting bikes like crazy - a lot of acciDents(