PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

MillieNZ
07-02-2009, 07:37 PM
:DSo it would seem that Hubby has got a postdoc position on Oahu :D:D Based at the university at Manoa......I'm hoping to move out there at the end of the year

Can anyone tell me what the cycling is like on the island ? Are there organised rides ?? Ladies ride group ??? good bike shops in the area ???

I'm a recreational road rider that like organised rides and i'm keen to get a new mountain bike as i understand the off road biking is great there :D:D Am I better buying one in the mainland on the way over ?? I'm a fan of Specialized so hopign to get one cheaper than in NZ before I leave

Any info would be greatly appreicated :)

crazycanuck
07-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Cool MNZ!! I know you've been waiting to hear about the exact location for a while & do hope you can find some cool mtn biking areas!

MillieNZ
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I think there are a couple of biking clubs there
O`ahu is known for poor or non-existent bike lanes in most areas, making road riding somewhat hazardous. And off-road trails are usually in mountainous areas, which get a lot of rain and are quite often slippery and dangerous. Unfrotunately, the island is not exactly bike-friendly, as best I can tell.
But don't give up hope. O`ahu is still an incredibly gorgeous place to ride!

thanks for your imput :) :) hmmmmmmmmmm.... most NZ road don't have bike lanes so hopefully I'll cope (although the other side of the road will get some use too !!! ) .... I'm also use to NZ drivers which are legendary for being bad drivers:mad:

Our contact is coming over to stay for a few days so hoping to pick up what the trails are like, I'm figuring I might be safer on them to start off with ...........

Just trying to find a suitable mountain bike to take over... :D