PDA

View Full Version : How do you ship your bike long distances?

kfergos
06-30-2009, 04:54 AM
I have to get my bike from Massachusetts to Seattle, WA by next Friday at the latest. Suggestions?

Here's what I've done before:
1. Ship it DHL ground - Ended up costing about $100 each way and taking a week. However, the hassle of using DHL (the under-charged us originally; then they sent us a bill for the remainder, which we paid; then a year later they sent a collections agency after us, saying we hadn't paid the bill! :mad: :eek: ) was not worth it. I'm looking at FedEx, UPS, and the Postal Service right now. This is expensive and time-consuming, but at least you can insure it and know it'll probably get there in OK shape.

2. Take it on the airplane - Ended up costing $75 + $40 on each end to get the minor shipping damage repaired. This option is hair-raising because the TSA unpacks it from the box and then just tosses everything back in willy-nilly. I nearly got an ulcer on the flight worrying about my bike getting mangled beyond repair on the way out to the STP. This is, believe it or not, slightly cheaper and definitely faster, but *extremely* stressful thanks to the TSA and airport baggage handlers.

Constraints:
I'm commuting on this bike all this week and would like to get a ride in Saturday and Sunday this weekend, too. I can commute on my back-up bike, but the back-up bike isn't comfortable enough to ride 50 miles on, which is what I'd like to do on Saturday.

I do have my own plastic-and-foam packing case for the bike which is quite good at keeping the bike safe and secure (this is where I cut out a rant about the uselessness of the TSA).

The box dimensions:
D: 12"
W: 27"
L: 47"

Box + bike weight: 58 lbs

Edit to add: This web site (http://www.bicycle-touring-guide.com/bicycle-shipping.html) lays out most of the options; I'm just not sure which one to choose. Amtrak Express Shipping is cheapest -- $67 -- but takes 7 to 10 days from Boston to Seattle.

Pedal Wench
06-30-2009, 05:45 AM
I just shipped a bike from ATL to MIA, in a cardboard box. Every inch of the frame was wrapped in either bubble wrap or foam pipe insulation, and then the whole package was wrapped in a big sheet of bubble wrap. (Thank you REI's loading dock the day after they get a shipment of kayaks!)

I shipped it UPS for $28, with $1000 declared value. It took 3 days. (Edit: it weighed about 25 pounds)

TxDoc
06-30-2009, 06:34 AM
This option is hair-raising because the TSA unpacks it from the box and then just tosses everything back in willy-nilly.

Is this a joke???
You mean - we take the time to pack it safely and properly and lock the case with the airport-approved padlock and everything... and then someone opens the case and takes everything out? what for - can't they just scan the whole thing for the security check? :eek:

Biciclista
06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
when DH went to Arizona (from Seattle) it was a lot less expensive to ship UPS
and they treated the bike better than the airlines would.
It used to be a good deal to put your bike on your airplane, but not any more.

kfergos
06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Is this a joke???
You mean - we take the time to pack it safely and properly and lock the case with the airport-approved padlock and everything... and then someone opens the case and takes everything out? what for - can't they just scan the whole thing for the security check? :eek:Sadly it isn't a joke. I actually watched them unpack my bike last time. Watching was a mistake, because I saw how casually he unstrapped it and pulled things out, shifted things around, undid ties and carefully-placed foam padding, and then kinda pulled it closed a bit and called it good. When I got the box on the other end of the flight it wasn't closed all the way because the inspector hadn't tightened the straps down. He'd loosened the straps to open it and then just buckled them closed again without tightening them. It was really a nerve-wracking experience.

Thorn
06-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Is this a joke???
You mean - we take the time to pack it safely and properly and lock the case with the airport-approved padlock and everything... and then someone opens the case and takes everything out? what for - can't they just scan the whole thing for the security check? :eek:

I took my bike to Arizona in March with no issues. TSA never even opened the case. Granted, I have an S&S coupled bike so my suitcase is standard size and only costs me $25 (extra suitcase) if I keep it underweight.

I was worried TSA would unpack, but, as I had been told to do, I put repacking instructions with photographs on top of the bike. One look at the "and then weave the handlebars through the rear wheel with the right brake around the rim and the stem between a large spoke gap" should convince anyone to work around the issue :D

Likewise, an S&S coupled suitcase has a net that you velcro around the bike when you pack. Theoretically, this allows the TSA to lift the bike from the box without disassembling anything.

Figure, if they want at your bike it is to swab and/or inspect the frame tubes. If you make that easy for them, they won't mess with your bike. Really, they don't want to stand there trying to put your jigsaw puzzle back together again any more than you want them to.

aka_kim
06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
I used Sports Express to ship my bike last year. They're a middleman and use one of the usual carriers for the actual shipping, but they took care of all the details and the price was OK. I would use them again - although my first choice would still be taking the bike on the plane on those few airlines which still charge a reasonable luggage fee.

kenyonchris
06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Is this a joke???

Don't EVEN get me started on TSA. I wouldn't put my worst enemy in a box and subject him or her to TSA.
I have some friends who are airport police (the REAL police, not TSA). They have TSA horror stories you wouldn't believe. I am one of those people who is ALWAYS searched...don't ask me why...and I have a hard time not being snippy with them.

My SO and I are planning a trip in August. It would be great to take our bikes (he is funny about riding a rented bike or someone else's bike) but the pain of shipping them is just not worth it. We'll hike.

ginny
06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I flew with my bike last summer, and TSA didn't touch it. I had it in a bike carrier (you know, the big plastic ones) - they could open it and have a look without messing it up, but I'm pretty sure they didn't. Maybe it's worth getting a bike carrier like that - I got it for right around $100 on Craig's list. If you fly x the atlantic on a foreign carrier, they often don't charge you extra for a bike if you only have one suitcase. I shipped a bike via UPS (mtn bike) and it cost $125! Good grief!!!

kfergos
06-30-2009, 08:06 AM
I flew with my bike last summer, and TSA didn't touch it. I had it in a bike carrier (you know, the big plastic ones) - they could open it and have a look without messing it up, but I'm pretty sure they didn't. Maybe it's worth getting a bike carrier like that - I got it for right around $100 on Craig's list. If you fly x the atlantic on a foreign carrier, they often don't charge you extra for a bike if you only have one suitcase. I shipped a bike via UPS (mtn bike) and it cost $125! Good grief!!!I have a heavy-duty plastic bike-specific carrier or box thing. It's pretty amazing. As you say, super expensive via any normal shipper. But last summer when I flew they told me they ALWAYS checked oversized/weird baggage like that. Hmmm.

TxDoc
06-30-2009, 08:08 AM
I am one of those people who is ALWAYS searched...don't ask me why...

That makes two of us - of course the detector never sounds on me (I know what to wear when I travel) but they still call me to the side 90% of the time and scan me again with the handheld garrett. Go figure it out :confused:

out_spokin'
06-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I've been v. unhappy w/ UPS last few times I've used them. They're great at the delivery end, but more expensive and less ease on the quoting/packing end.

I haven't tried it with bike yet, but I've been very impressed with FedEx ground service. Did a lot w/ them couple years back for a temporary move.

Maybe too slow for your purposes if riding on the weekend, but they've been FABULOUS from talking on the phone, easy internet quoting and especially service on both ends. Shockingly fast for big boxes o' household stuff, way cheaper than UPS, and very well handled. Next time I ship bike or related stuff I'm checking with them first.

OakLeaf
06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
+1 on FedEx. I'd rather subject my stuff to airline baggage handlers and TSA before I'd let UPS touch it, and that's NOT because I have a high opinion of airline baggage handlers or TSA. :p

The whole point of the TSA locks is so they can open and re-lock your bag. They don't open every single one, but if yours is chosen, the less of a maze it is to pack, the greater the likelihood that it'll be re-packed properly. Of course that doesn't mean they'll close the latches. We had the same experience with a Pelican case of photographic equipment. Luckily everything was okay, but it was pure luck.

I've been using FedEx for all kinds of stuff for years, and so far I've shipped my bike FedEx three times (in a Thule case) with no problems. If you have someone on the other end you can ship to, FedEx Home Delivery is super inexpensive. Whatever rate you choose, you get a discount if you print your own shipping label, too.

MartianDestiny
06-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Is this a joke???

Nope no joke. Haven't traveled much since 2001?

If I have anything other than clothes in my checked baggage they open it (I'm slowly moving stuff out of my parents house so there is normally some odds and ends including kitchen knifes). Why they have to open it when knifes are perfectly legal in checked baggage and they'd clearly be knifes on the xray IDK. I guess it then throws it into the "suspicious" category.

Seeing what my normal luggage looks like after they have their way with it the only way I'd give them my bike was if it was in a hard sided bike specific case and packed in such a way that it'd be nigh on impossible for them to put it back in wrong after they tore it all apart.

Otherwise I think I'll just ship it, at least then I can insure the thing against stupidity! (though I've seen the aftermath of some pretty terrible UPS horror stories...poor poor frames :( )

OakLeaf
06-30-2009, 11:00 AM
(though I've seen the aftermath of some pretty terrible UPS horror stories...poor poor frames :( )

If you MUST use UPS (corporate account or no local FedEx depot), then ship express, not ground. I don't know whether they take more care with express packages or it's just that a shorter trip gives them less opportunity to damage it, but express packages seem to have a much better chance of arriving intact.

I'm sure FedEx isn't perfect, but their track record with me is (touch wood). By contrast, when I must have something shipped to me UPS, the odds are no better than 2 in 3 that the packaging will arrive intact - from there the condition of the contents is purely a matter of luck.

katluvr
06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Always fly w/ bike.
Pack it myself.
Most airports just take it to the oversized x-ray machine. They do in Tampa and I watch them x-ray it.
I have had it "opened" before (but I think just once or twice a while back), but never really move stuff around. I ask if they are going to unpack it and then insist on going with it, stand outside if theythink the need to.
I have not had any problems.
Since I fly Southwest it is about $50 each way...so 100 total. That way I can ride it up until a few days before.
Yes, I do worry...about it. But most of the time it is really OK. I have shipped before, but I have a hard case therefore it is much more expensive.
But as you have read here, each to their own personal experience.
K

Pedal Wench
06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
If you MUST use UPS (corporate account or no local FedEx depot), then ship express, not ground. I don't know whether they take more care with express packages or it's just that a shorter trip gives them less opportunity to damage it, but express packages seem to have a much better chance of arriving intact.

I'm sure FedEx isn't perfect, but their track record with me is (touch wood). By contrast, when I must have something shipped to me UPS, the odds are no better than 2 in 3 that the packaging will arrive intact - from there the condition of the contents is purely a matter of luck.

That's so funny - everyone has so many different experiences. My BF and I used FedEx ground once. When the package didn't deliver when expected, they just threw up their hands and said to just file a claim, the bike's gone. Two weeks later and many, MANY phone calls, they found it.

On another occasion, I shipped two little rolling suitcases. Both bags were brand new, but were completely torn up during shipping. I filed a claim, sent to bags to them to determine how much damages they would pay, and then they lost the bags. I got my full claim... :)

TxDoc
06-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Haven't traveled much since 2001?

Hee-hee, unfortunately I travel too much (don't like to fly) - but I leave the bike home if I can :D

Twice I shipped FedEx and it was fine, I packed it myself and found the box ok at my destination. Not even a scratch.

I cannot say anything good of UPS. A while back they damaged a frame shipped to me. Despite proof of damage (pictures of the packing, unpacking, damage, etc) - they have refused to give us a refund to this day. We've been fighting over this for years and yet no resolution. Since then - I have always called FedEx and never had a bad experience with them. Knock on wood, they'll keep doing a good job!
:)

TrekTheKaty
06-30-2009, 02:30 PM
I asked a bike shop in Breckenridge, CO the best way to ship a bike out. They said UPS to them, but that could have been a local delivery issue.

AnnieBikes
06-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I have read all these post with fear and trepidation! :( I am shipping my bike to Portland from Bristol, TN in two weeks and will probably use FedX. I am so nervous about it that I am about sick!! The airline would be too expensive to use and the oversize (but not overweight) box costs $175 each way!!! UPS has not been good for us, and we have no Amtrak. So FE it is, and I will be praying the whole time that it gets to the shop safely! I will ride for a month and go through the whole thing again to get it home! :(:(

I have another bike to ride in the meantime but want my baby home safely and fast!

teigyr
06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Why not see if the airline has a cargo facility? Most airlines do and there can even be a way to ship it on the flight you are on. Cargo can be tracked better too (ie it is scanned when it departs and when it is received) so there might be better record as to where the bike is at any point in time. The only down side is there might be documentation required security-wise (ie if there is no shipper history) but that could be found out in advance.

I don't think TSA takes great joy in taking stuff apart. I've seen some great TSA people (along with bad ones but that goes true for any profession) and I think the department is really working on improving their image. I really don't think it makes their day to do additional screening either (just had to get that out there) and they are just people doing their job. Same goes for traffic/parking enforcement or any other group that makes us feel singled out as a person or cyclist or whatever else we are. Odds are, they are doing their job instead of getting some sadistic pleasure in making us uncomfortable.

Pack the bike well no matter how it is shipped. Even if ground handlers are careful, each time the bag is moved (ie from a baggage cart to a belt loader to a plane and off again multiplied by however many connections), there is a chance of something being on top of it or something going awry. Bags/cargo are stacked inside the igloo (if it's a freighter) or belly and it's not like the plane knows "oops...better be gentle" if there is something fragile onboard.

I know for any method you decide on, someone is going to have a bad experience using the same method. That just is. Remember though that the bad experiences are probably the minority of total business for the shipper. When I lived in Calif, UPS was unreliable and really kind of sketchy and FedEx was THE way to ensure something arrived on time. I don't know if it was the regional office or what...but that was only in that one location and I've never had any UPS problems anywhere else that I've lived.

rant over :)