PDA

View Full Version : Trainer bike?

ASammy1
06-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Which bikes do you use on your trainer? Do you have one you specifically use for the trainer only? Is it an older bike of yours?

I hesitate to put my road bike on my trainer that has Conti GP 4000s tires and I don't want to have to change a tire every time I want to ride my bike...

What are my options?

Becky
06-29-2009, 06:18 AM
Frequently changing tires is no fun, and I don't have a devoted trainer bike. I bought a cheap rear wheel and an inexpensive cassette, and used a older tire that was in my "trainer pile". Now I just swap the whole wheel.

katluvr
06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
I used to have an VERY old mountain bike on my trainer, until it died.
I have my other road bike on it right now. I mostly ride my new bike. So it is really nice to have another bike to have soley on the trainer.
That being said, I have a triple on my trainer and compact double on the bike I ride on the road. So things are a bit different, but I get the miles and work outs done.
If I didn't have this luxery, I would probably do as Becky does.

KSH
06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Was about to say... buy a cheap wheel and switch that out each time.

My tri bike has been on the trainer for way too long with a trainer tire on it. I might take it out for a race next month... but I fear the tire being worn down from the trainer. Hhhuuummm.

TxDoc
06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
I used to keep my 'B' bike (which was still carbon monocoque by the way) on the trainer. The main reason was that I did not want to take it out every time to go ride. Now that I gave that one away - I alternate between my training bike and the time trial bike, depending on what kind of training I plan to do.
My suggestion either way would be to keep an extra wheel for the trainer, and just swap the wheel.

ridebikeme
06-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I too, have a dedicated trainer bike. It is an older model, but comfortable and something I'll use in nasty weather as well.

You're right, it is a pain to always change the rear tire... but having a different wheel or an older bike is a great option.

Norse
06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
+1 on what Becky said. Bought a used wheel that had the same rear casette as my road bike and put the stock (crappy) tire on it. My Conti is spared and it only takes seconds to swap out the rear wheel.

ASammy1
06-30-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! I think I'm going to keep an eye on Craig's List to see if I can find an inexpensive road bike to be my dedicated trainer bike. If it's not easy and convenient, I wont do it...