PDA

View Full Version : I failed

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Yesterday, I tried to ride in the Tour de Corn in Missouri. I was riding the 64.2 mile ride. THe heat was around 100 with a higher index. I made it 56 miles and had to give up. I really think I was hydrated enough, but it got to where I would have to pedal a while and then coast a while. I slso got to where I would have to stop every couple of miles and rest under a shade tree. The longest ride I have done so far was a 30, but there were a lot of hills and I thought it would be easy to do a sixty flat. How could I have trained to have been able to tolerate the heat?

Biciclista
06-28-2009, 07:55 AM
good grief, you didn't fail!! you went over 50 miles in weather that can kill people.
don't be so hard on yourself. you did an amazing job.

the best thing you can do to improve your performance is to train more.

but even the best of riders can't ride their best in conditions like that.

channlluv
06-28-2009, 08:00 AM
+1

You did really well going that far in that kind of heat. Don't beat yourself up on this one. Seriously. Go celebrate your achievement.

Roxy

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for saying so, but I keep thinking about the others that made it and think maybe I should have just pushed myself a little more.

TxDoc
06-28-2009, 08:06 AM
#1 - you did not fail. You did ride 56 of the 64 miles, so you succeeded above 85%. HONOR YOURSELF!

#2 - you can get good training tips from the abstracts of the medical symposium that is usually done before the Hotter 'n Hell 100. They discuss dehydration, overheating, heat stroke, etc - and proper training. It's a great conference - too bad they are skipping it this year. you can find info at www.hh100.org

A few helpful hints:
- first of all speak to your physician and get some baseline data. Temperature of course, and heart rate, but also some bloodwork would help. A baseline BMP and CBC, repeated post-long-ride, then with high heat/humidity, then post ride with heat/humidity) is a good idea, so that you know what is the range you play with.
- start training for elevated temperature gradually. Get out and ride during the hotter part of the day (remember a very good sunscreen and plenty of fluid), starting with short ride and possibly with some support available (husband, friend, etc). Increase the distance gradually, and learn what amount of fluid you need for different distances - and when you need to use electrolyte replacement or food. It is a very good idea to start with small goals and build up. I have seen experienced cyclists (racers) start heat training with a 10 mile ride, and increase the distance very slowly.
Ask around here and on the bike forums - a lot of people that ride the HH100 will reply with good advice.
Good luck!
:)

Tri Girl
06-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Are you acclimated to the heat yet? I know that I'm not, and the other day when it was 100, I really struggled to get in 20 (and I'm in good cycling shape). The heat can really zap you. One thing that I've found helpful in especially hot conditions is to use endurolytes http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104
I started using them when tri training, and now I use them ALL the time in the heat. Every endurance athlete I know swears by them.
Doesn't mean I won't have trouble, but I know for certain that it helps me maintain my stamina/endurance in the heat. I take 2 an hour.

I'm not trying to push drugs here, but that's what helps me in the heat. :)

I think you did quite well. Really, going 56 in that heat when your longest ride has been 30 is impressive. Really. :)

tulip
06-28-2009, 08:11 AM
What is with these posts saying that "I failed/I suck/I'm horrible?" It's just a ride, people!

Like everyone else said, you did not fail.

Please, let's try to phrase things a bit more positively. Set a healthy example for our kids, etc.

sundial
06-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Babynoahsmom, the humidity has been extremely bad lately and it's enough to make even the best riders cry uncle. Please don't be so hard on yourself. That was an excellent ride considering our area has been under a heat advisory.

FWIW, the officials shortened the ride this year at the Sea Otter Classic because the temps were in the 90's. Some of the top pros were dropping like flies due to the heat.

papaver
06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Can you change your title from 'I Failed' into 'I tried'???

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the good advice. No, I am not going to change the title. What ever happened with it being ok to fail? I set a goal, I did not make it. I failed. So what? I will take something away from this in the end. I have gotten some great advice and I will do better next time. I have four boys. I think if you teach your kids they will fail sometimes, they will be prepared and understand how to handle it and move forward. Life is not all roses and winning. Life is not always positive either. I think it is a better example to my boys to say Mommy set s goal and didn't make it, but I am learning from it. My nine year old son is becoming a very strong little rider. I think by speaking openly with him aobut my triumphs and my failures, he may learn that just because you don't make your goal the first time, that is ok and you should try again. And to TxDoc, I am a nurse and I plan on talking to my doc tomorrow. I am pretty sure I wiped out my electrolytes.

jobob
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
The longest ride I have done so far was a 30, but there were a lot of hills and I thought it would be easy to do a sixty flat. How could I have trained to have been able to tolerate the heat?

Your only "failure"
-- and I'm only using that term because you insist on using it and I'm with everyone else, I sure as heck don't consider what you accomplished a failure, hence the quotation marks :)
-- is that, based on what you told us, you may not have prepared adequately for this event.

Like everyone else said, you have to train yourself to get up to these kinds of distances -- a metric century is a long ride!! -- and if you're riding in the heat you have to ride a lot in the heat to get your body accustomed to it. And to know what kinds of foods work best for you in the heat, and how much electrolyle you need to consume. Et cetera. Tx Doc's post above had excellent suggestions.

And heat can affect even well-trained people in a pretty unpredictable manner.

I wrote in very glowing terms about my friends melissam and dachshund in another thread, and the super-tough ride they did in the heat yesterday (which I might add they had to train for a good long time to be able to do).

Now, where we live in the San Francisco Bay area, it doesn't get super-hot very often -- plus our idea of super-hot might not hold a candle to your idea of super-hot (bad pun, sorry). For one thing, it generally doesn't get very humid out here. Certainly not like the east coast's version of humid! :p

That said, we had one guy on that training ride yesterday who had to bail out about 2/3 rds into the ride. To put it simply, the heat got to him. He is by no stretch of the imagination a quitter, he has done many strenuous bike rides (and run marathons!!) in the past. He had trained well leading up to this ride. But once in a while stuff happens and our bodies don't cooperate the way we want. He was bummed to have to end his ride when he did, but he's also experienced enough to know that sometimes that is the very best option (and at times, the only sane option).

So all I'm saying is, it happens to the best of them. Please don't beat yourself up for not finishing the ride. You'll learn from it, and if you want, you'll do another, and hopefully you'll be better prepared for it and it'll be a breeze, comparatively speaking. :cool:

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 10:35 AM
That was the thing about yesterday, not only was it hot, but the humidity was awful. When there was a breexe, it felt like a blow dryer hitting you in the face. I will probably look for another long ride in the fall when it is not so hot, and do a lot of training in the mean time.

uforgot
06-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Holy Cow! Over 50 miles in this humidity? I've been here my entire life and it still wipes me out. I think you made the right decision to not push on. You could have pushed yourself too much. I had a dance performance in an un-airconditioned gym on Friday and I'm still wiped out. I was suppose to do a ride in St. Louis yesterday but just couldn't do it. Tell me, how are you feeling today? I bet you are tired, aren't you? The humidity has been unreal this week. Heat index has been way over 100 for several days.

Instead of I failed, how about renaming this thread "I'm smart". Pyannyplayer was at that ride. Maybe you could pm her and see how it went with others?

Here at TE we never allow others to think they fail, and we encourage bike purchases!:D

Edit: Oh, yeah, and of course, I just have to say it..."It's not the heat, it's the humidity!" Welcome to Missouri!

malkin
06-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Training ride through a volcanic eruption?
Or possibly on the sun...

Then you could blame any difficulty on equipment failure, because I'll bet you'd need really special tires to get through a lava flow.

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 11:21 AM
No volcanoes here in Arkansas! Just lots and lots of hot pavement. I am just now starting to feel better. I am tired, but starting to think about maybe riding for a while tomorrow evening when it cools down. I have emailed one of the organizers of the ride to find out if they know how many drop-outs they had. I need to clean my bike. Seems she has quite a lot of poweraide splatter on her. Maybe she drank more thanI did??? I would love to hear from anyone else that was on that ride with me.

jobob
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
I am just now starting to feel better.

Excellent - I'm very glad to hear that. :cool:

I have emailed one of the organizers of the ride to find out if they know how many drop-outs they had.

Errr. What if they had only, say, 10% of the riders not finish (just tossing out a number here)? That might make you feel bad all over again. But what if nearly all those non-finishers were doing their very first ride over, say, 50 miles in length, and the people who did finish had done at least one 50+ mile ride prior to that? I seriously doubt they'd have that kind of statistic on hand, but its something to bear in mind if the number comes out lower than you might expect (or hope) to see. Just sayin'.

TrekTheKaty
06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Oh, girlfriend. It was BRUTAL yesterday. I did 24 at 7:00 am and I didn't feel good after. I'm glad you quit before you got heat exhaustion.

If you really want advice for next year, I would try a few more rides beforehand. Maybe 35, 40 and 45 if you have the luxury. I used to use gatorade, but switched to cytomax--has carbs, electrolytes, etc. It really does help with the long, hot rides.

You'll get em next year!

(We do the Trailnet Ride the Rivers Century in October. There's all the MOBike Fed Fall Foliage ride that is shorter. We're thinking of coming down for the Big Dam Bridge ride).

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Where is the Trailnet? I am thinking about doing Big Dam also, but one of the shorter rides. There are a lot of hills on that ride. I rode the bridge last year so I could say I did it before my husband. It is really neat and the bike trails around it are nice too. It will be interesting to see where they plan on parking everyone.

AnnieBikes
06-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Three potato chips and 1/10 of a banana has the same sodium chloride and potassium as the endurolytes for way less money!! ;)

You did super and the heat was awful. To continue and chance heat exhaustion was not an option. You definitely did the right thing. That heat will take it out of you so fast.

Keep training, recognize that heat is hard for you, and ride in cooler events!

Way to go to get over 50 miles.

KathiCville
06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
You're being WAY too hard on yourself! Sounds to me like you did an amazing job, given the temps and humidity. Revel in what you accomplished under less-than-ideal circumstances. Congrats! :D

Tri Girl
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Three potato chips and 1/10 of a banana has the same sodium chloride and potassium as the endurolytes for way less money!! ;)

Hmmm... I did not know that. Good to know!!!!
If bananas didn't give me terrible stomach cramps, I would sooo jump on that (they never used to as a kid, but cause me horrible discomfort now:mad:). True, the endurolytes are expensive, but sooooo much more convenient to carry and consume. :) I just wish I could eat bananas- they are truly natures best fuel!!!

Nightowl
06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
The heat and humidity in KS/MO were horrible yesterday. (See my hail/lightening experience in KC, MO yesterday)

TdeC was a 30, 60 or 100 miler. Perhaps you can find comfort in knowing you nearly doubled the 30 milers, and you were wise enough to know when your body was done. :o

shootingstar
06-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Well done, noahsbm! :) No doubt, you will have more ride stories in future for us.

Bananas are great fuel..but I find it dries out my mouth. I absolutely must have a swig of water or liquid with it to make it work for me on a bike ride.

denny
06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't feel too badly. If you look up a post or two you will see "I almost" got to do my first century yesterday but ended up having to take a SAG vehichle back after only 27 or 30 something miles after getting lost, etc! I wish I had got in at least 50 miles because I signed up for 100! You did great finishing 50!!!! I understand your disappointment at not reaching your goal. I think failure is a strong word in this instance, although I agree that "failing" forward can be used to your advantage which we will both do next time anyway!!

Tomorrow i'll have to live down the good natured jabs from my friends about the cute "puppies" that scared me and arriving in style sweat free in an A/C pick up back to the start line. :D

Jiffer
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, you prepare for the heat by training in the heat. Shorter distances at a time. Pouring water on your head, and everywhere for that matter, is an awesome way to keep cool. Feels SO good to have even the hot breeze on you as you ride when you are wet. Keep an extra bottle of just water. On longer training rides, plan where you can stop and refill your water bottle. Could be a park with a drinking fountain, a hose ... maybe a McDonalds or Gas Station where you get fountain drinks ... only just fill with water. Or buy bottled water. On an organized ride refill your water bottle at SAG stops and douce yourself while you're at it. Makes a big difference. You might carry two bottles with your sports drink on your bike and a water bottle in your jersey pocket.

I just did a club ride yesterday in hotter weather than I've ridden in all year. Wasn't fun. I did okay, but not nearly as well as I usually do. I lost the group I was with on a hill on the way back and finished the ride by myself, cutting out the last climb. This never happens to me. The heat definitely affected me. It can be mentally depressing, but I have to remind myself how well I did just a week before.

Good for you for teaching your kids it's okay to not reach a goal, but to keep working at achieving it. It's possible you might have been able to finish had you pushed yourself. But you also might have suffered heat exhaustion or heat stroke (are those two different things?!). All you can do is listen to your body the best you can. The more you ride, the better you'll know what your body can handle. Better safe than sorry. I was a spectator at VERY hot L.A. marathon my dh did a few years ago and watched a runner fall over right in front of me. Paramedics came to help him. You could hear sirens all day as runners were continually affected by the heat. You may very well have done the smart thing. You'll learn from this experience and be a better and stronger rider for it. :)

TrekTheKaty
06-28-2009, 01:00 PM
That said, we had one guy on that training ride yesterday who had to bail out about 2/3 rds into the ride. To put it simply, the heat got to him. He is by no stretch of the imagination a quitter, he has done many strenuous bike rides (and run marathons!!) in the past. He had trained well leading up to this ride. But once in a while stuff happens and our bodies don't cooperate the way we want. He was bummed to have to end his ride when he did, but he's also experienced enough to know that sometimes that is the very best option (and at times, the only sane option).

So all I'm saying is, it happens to the best of them. Please don't beat yourself up for not finishing the ride. You'll learn from it, and if you want, you'll do another, and hopefully you'll be better prepared for it and it'll be a breeze, comparatively speaking. :cool:

Jobob hit it here. When I used to run, they emphasized training logs. The amount of sleep, resting heart rate, overall diet, stress at work, hydration, breakfast that morning, and food/sports drink consumed during the workout were all factors that could affect a long run. Even a professional athlete may not know exactly what caused a DNF. But we know yours was HEAT/HUMIDITY--but there are other factors we can all work on during training rides. For instance a quick bathroom break and back stretch followed by jelly belly sport beans send me off like a rocket. DH is learning that a 5 minute break once every 2 hours improves my overall speed.

How about you change the title to "learning experience?"

TrekTheKaty
06-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Where is the Trailnet? I am thinking about doing Big Dam also, but one of the shorter rides. There are a lot of hills on that ride. I rode the bridge last year so I could say I did it before my husband. It is really neat and the bike trails around it are nice too. It will be interesting to see where they plan on parking everyone.

Trailnet is our local biking awareness group. Their Ride the Rivers century is in St. Louis. (trailnet.org and click and "rides and events.") It's a hilly ride, but my DH, BIL and I made it through last year on our first century. It is a very scenic and fun route. The Big Dam would be our metric training ride.

When I get off your thread, I'll post a ride report for TrailNet's Chain of Rocks Bridge Birthday Bash today.

Mr. Bloom
06-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Three Cheers for babynoahsmom! She did 56 miles in horrible conditions!

Pyannyplayer
06-28-2009, 01:25 PM
As Claudia said, I was at Tour de Corn as well and it was DANGED HOT and DANGED HUMID!! It hit Missouri earlier this past week and it's been HOT, HOT, HOT! I was lucky (?) in that I've ridden 7 of the last 8 days in this weather, so I was ready for it. I was sweating before I even got on my bike yesterday!

That being said, please don't say you failed! You learned something about yourself and what you might need to do next time you're faced with similar circumstances. I do know that the people I was riding with went through water, electrolytes, gatorade, shotblocks, etc., like they were going out of style. I drank at least 4 bottles of water, one bottle of Powerade, and a couple cookies....and one ear of corn during the ride. I still, after the ride, drank water like there was no tomorrow. It was 100 degrees when I finished at 11:00 a.m.! I heard stories of a couple of people being taken by ambulance because of heat stroke (don't know if that's true), but knowing when to say when, at least in my mind, is important. NEVER risk yourself....ever. It's just not worth it.

Flats are not easy. This ride had one "hill", it was an 18 foot ascend and descend. Yes, that's right, EIGHTEEN feet. Our total change in elevation was 58 feet, we climbed a total of 400 feet (I did the 30 mile ride this year; did the 60 last year; however it's pretty much the same). You pedal on a flat CONSTANTLY or you slow down/stop. Add to the mix the fact that there was NO SHADE on this ride, only cornfields...it made this ride a little tricky.

I live in the Ozarks and my rides typically have 2000 total feet of climbing for a 60 mile ride with a change in elevation of 600 feet. Whether a route is flat or hilly, in my humble opinion, does not matter. They are each hard in their own way.

The nice thing with this ride, though, is the GREAT SAG service and really helpful people. One of my sons and his friend rode the ride and anytime I stopped to wait for them, a SAG wagon was there, asking if we needed help. That was really reassuring.

I think you did just fine! No reason to feel bad or anything at all!

Training....hhmmmm...that's a good question. I would do a few longer rides just for mileage sake, and the tough thing - probably the toughest thing - about a flat ride is no break. You pedal and pedal and pedal and then pedal some more. You don't get to ZOOM downhill and get a breeze and a little of a breather.

You did GREAT! Enjoy what you accomplished!

Lorie

Zen
06-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Heh.

I did a ride this weekend and I did not fail. Nor did I do the amount of miles I intended but i kind of knew that I wouldn't since I was woefully undertrained.

I had a great time, though.

This language is unacceptable and you must be punished ;)

BarbaraAlys
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
babynoahsmom;440833I failed. So what? I will take something away from this in the end.

You know, that is really putting it in perspective for me. By being alowed to say "I failed" somehow helps it not become "I am a failure"...two very different things.

We learn from our failures more than our accomplishments; good for you for being able to keep things in perspective.

BarbaraAlys

uforgot
06-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds like it was quite a ride Lorie! Thanks for putting it all in perspective. Any pics? Yeesh, it's just been brutal lately. Finally some relief today.

I went to the Big Dam Bridge last July when I had a conference in Tennessee. (I decided to take a long detour) I loved it! I had never been to Little Rock, and the thing I noticed was that it had to be the friendliest city I had ever been to! The Bridge is impressive, but I also had to hit the Clinton Library while I was there. The people I met were so helpful and talkative. I had trouble with my brakes and everyone on the Bridge wanted to help. Whether or not you go to the organized ride, the Bridge (and Little Rock) is worth the trip. I wanted a T-shirt though...they need to sell Big Dam Bridge T-shirts! (Yes, I want a Dam T-shirt)

indigoiis
06-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I would rather ride in snow and freezing rain than hot sun. You rock for riding in 100 degree weather; I would have wilted within the first mile.

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Sounds like it was quite a ride Lorie! Thanks for putting it all in perspective. Any pics? Yeesh, it's just been brutal lately. Finally some relief today.

I went to the Big Dam Bridge last July when I had a conference in Tennessee. (I decided to take a long detour) I loved it! I had never been to Little Rock, and the thing I noticed was that it had to be the friendliest city I had ever been to! The Bridge is impressive, but I also had to hit the Clinton Library while I was there. The people I met were so helpful and talkative. I had trouble with my brakes and everyone on the Bridge wanted to help. Whether or not you go to the organized ride, the Bridge (and Little Rock) is worth the trip. I wanted a T-shirt though...they need to sell Big Dam Bridge T-shirts! (Yes, I want a Dam T-shirt)
Thank you for saying nice things about my state. We really do try. You can get a tee shirt if you ride the ride. Also the Clinton Library store down in River Market has some really great eco-friendly stuff if you get a chance to make it there.

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
As Claudia said, I was at Tour de Corn as well and it was DANGED HOT and DANGED HUMID!! It hit Missouri earlier this past week and it's been HOT, HOT, HOT! I was lucky (?) in that I've ridden 7 of the last 8 days in this weather, so I was ready for it. I was sweating before I even got on my bike yesterday!

That being said, please don't say you failed! You learned something about yourself and what you might need to do next time you're faced with similar circumstances. I do know that the people I was riding with went through water, electrolytes, gatorade, shotblocks, etc., like they were going out of style. I drank at least 4 bottles of water, one bottle of Powerade, and a couple cookies....and one ear of corn during the ride. I still, after the ride, drank water like there was no tomorrow. It was 100 degrees when I finished at 11:00 a.m.! I heard stories of a couple of people being taken by ambulance because of heat stroke (don't know if that's true), but knowing when to say when, at least in my mind, is important. NEVER risk yourself....ever. It's just not worth it.

Flats are not easy. This ride had one "hill", it was an 18 foot ascend and descend. Yes, that's right, EIGHTEEN feet. Our total change in elevation was 58 feet, we climbed a total of 400 feet (I did the 30 mile ride this year; did the 60 last year; however it's pretty much the same). You pedal on a flat CONSTANTLY or you slow down/stop. Add to the mix the fact that there was NO SHADE on this ride, only cornfields...it made this ride a little tricky.

I live in the Ozarks and my rides typically have 2000 total feet of climbing for a 60 mile ride with a change in elevation of 600 feet. Whether a route is flat or hilly, in my humble opinion, does not matter. They are each hard in their own way.

The nice thing with this ride, though, is the GREAT SAG service and really helpful people. One of my sons and his friend rode the ride and anytime I stopped to wait for them, a SAG wagon was there, asking if we needed help. That was really reassuring.

I think you did just fine! No reason to feel bad or anything at all!

Training....hhmmmm...that's a good question. I would do a few longer rides just for mileage sake, and the tough thing - probably the toughest thing - about a flat ride is no break. You pedal and pedal and pedal and then pedal some more. You don't get to ZOOM downhill and get a breeze and a little of a breather.

You did GREAT! Enjoy what you accomplished!

Lorie
Yes, the SAG was wonderful. Several times the Ambulance crew tried to pick me up. (I can see their boss telling them, "We have to get at least one run out of this to get our money back today. You go out there and find us a good one!) I must have really looked like a hot prospect! I did the thirty last year without any problem, of course last year although it was a little windy, it was not hot. I just wasn't prepared for the heat. You are right too about flat rises. I rode one hill her last year in a thiry that had an 11% grade, but then I got to merrily sail down the other side for quite a while. I have forgiven my bike and cleaned her up. My computer messed up for about eight miles yesterday so I spent those miles thinking about taking a claw hammer to it. That at least was very motivating. Tomorrow evening when it cools down, I think I will do an easy 15. Congrats on doing the thirty. Wish I had joined you!

Tuckervill
06-28-2009, 03:36 PM

It's starts out at Burns Park in the soccer complex. There is plenty of parking.

You have a whole lot of time to train for that ride! It's not til the end of September.

Karen

babynoahsmom
06-28-2009, 04:16 PM
It's starts out at Burns Park in the soccer complex. There is plenty of parking.

You have a whole lot of time to train for that ride! It's not til the end of September.

Karen
My husband is planning on doing the hundred. I will probably do one of the shorter routes.

TrekTheKaty
06-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, the SAG was wonderful. Several times the Ambulance crew tried to pick me up. (I can see their boss telling them, "We have to get at least one run out of this to get our money back today. You go out there and find us a good one!) I must have really looked like a hot prospect! !

I once ran a marathon where the SAG bus was hovering 20 feet behind our group that was still ahead of the cut-off splits. Thanks to the wind, we were sucking exhaust. Someone finally turned around and said "GO AWAY. We're not quitting." He peeled off!

Little Rock is VERY friendly. That's why I'm eager to come back. I did the half marathon and stayed at a Hampton Inn quite a ways from the start. They were aware of the race and cheered me on coming and going. In on section, the local mayor was standing at the bridge clapping and cheering--and I'm a slow runner--so he'd been out there awhile!

I stopped at the Cracker Barrel on the way out of town and was treated like a rock star. The town was very aware of the event and supportive. St. Louis could learn something from them ;)

Miranda
06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Here is one other thing to consider about the heat. Where were you in your menstraul cycle?

Man... I just hit the wall hard this last week with the midwest humidity. It was suppose to be a short, easy ride... in which I had all the right stuff nutrition /hydration.

Even when not exercising, I do not do well just sitting in the heat. Some other things medically with my body are part of the reasons. Like you, one reason I chose my upocoming century (my first) in the fall. Think that is part of being smart and knowing your body. One reason of many I love Fall:)... crisp cool air...ahhh.

Only thing that really killed me on my own doctor list is my period and perimeopause. I gain 3-5#s a month. Look 1st tri-mester prego. BUT seem to shed all that in about 1 to 1 1/2 days. I'm a non-stop pee-ing machine:o.

Going back through my calendar, I was dumping my period water when I bonked. Literally 5 pounds lighter from Wednesday to Sunday morning.

I don't know if my gyno can recommend something or not. I don't want to be being doing this on the day of my century event:(.

Btw, I agree with your fail title. First, I thought... when you post something like that, you need support, encouragement, etc. Attitudes and perceptions about failure are relative. I see nothing wrong with failing. Just as you say... you learn, grow, etc... the sun comes up tomorrow. So what. You go on... it's a new day. IT'S OK!!!:cool:

Good Luck at the doc. Hope you get some answers.

kenyonchris
06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the good advice. No, I am not going to change the title. What ever happened with it being ok to fail? I set a goal, I did not make it. I failed. So what? I will take something away from this in the end. I have gotten some great advice and I will do better next time. I have four boys. I think if you teach your kids they will fail sometimes, they will be prepared and understand how to handle it and move forward. Life is not all roses and winning. Life is not always positive either. I think it is a better example to my boys to say Mommy set s goal and didn't make it, but I am learning from it. My nine year old son is becoming a very strong little rider. I think by speaking openly with him aobut my triumphs and my failures, he may learn that just because you don't make your goal the first time, that is ok and you should try again. And to TxDoc, I am a nurse and I plan on talking to my doc tomorrow. I am pretty sure I wiped out my electrolytes.

YAY!!!! I am not a fan of this "feel good all the time" mentality...failing is different than (hold thumb and forefinger up to forehead) "LOSER." Sugar coating and participation awards don't change the facts. I have seen a lot of people who never want their kids to fail, are scared to fail themselves, and in doing that they lead unhappy, unadventurous, lives.

We learn just as much from failing as from winning, and winning is relative. I am THE MOST competitive person, but it is relative to myself, not necessarily others (although sometimes my best happens to be better than everyone else's, sometimes it is to just finish).

I have taught competitive sports my whole life (before I became a cop I coached riders doing three day eventing). If my students didn't perform to the best of their abilities on any given day (and their best might be different from day to day), they heard about it from me. I pushed them (and myself) to work harder, try harder, set high goals. Sometimes they would finish a dressage test or cross country course and see what they described as "my vein" and know that they had not put forth their best effort. It wasn't feel good riding, it was good riding. The rewards might have been harder to attain, but they were genuine.

Not everyone shares this view, that's cool. I'm sure, though, that Baby knows what to change and work on for next time, and can face her problems head on. This one becomes a shrug it off and try again.

Zen
06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
We learn just as much from failing as from winning, and winning is relative.

Readers digest condensed version.

Tuckervill
06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
My husband is planning on doing the hundred. I will probably do one of the shorter routes.

oo oo, I was wrong! It started there the FIRST YEAR, but the last time it started at Dickey-Stephens Park. Since you'll have a bike, you can park anywhere downtown and ride over. I think we were able to get a spot in the lot right across the street.

Karen

Trek420
06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Was it Dwight Eisenhower who said something along the lines of "man is at his best when reaching for something beyond his reach"

Way to know when to say when :cool: Next ride you will surely achieve your goal

crazycanuck
06-28-2009, 10:17 PM
BNM, I must tell you about my first MTB Enduro event in 06. Long story but it has a point...:o

It's supposed to be 100km but it ended up being about 115km. (this year it was about 120km)Anyways, I think I trained for it but thought being the SW of Western Australia, it wouldn't be hot on the event weekend. Ermm..wrong..It turned out to be 38C that day, no shade, some bits on gravel roads & it was all UPHILL...I remember the second half of stage 3 very clearly: I couldn't stand it any longer so I stood on the side of the trail & threw my helmet in the bush. AGHGH. Got back on my bike & continued but didn't do stage 4..

Luckily the volunteer SES crews were out with thier little water tankers hosing us down...Everyone was suffering & tons of folks dropped out after stage 2 or 3. I felt like a twit not continuing but I didn't feel bad as I knew others decided to stop. That didn't stop me from doing it in 07 & then again this year.

This year..:mad: :( was a disaster. First, no one knew the "exact" distances the stages were(25km, 27km?)..Second, there were few signposts & I followed someone who was in the FAST group who'd just come onto the trail. AGHGHG. I (and about 5 others)ended up doing the first section 1 1/2 times. It started to pour, thunder & had to take what turned out to be a rather long shortcut :mad:. I decided to stop because I knew I wouldn't have time to get to the stage 3 point, friends that had my nutrition had left & I had lost the frame of mind. Good decision because the second stage was a mud fest...

Now, if you feel like a twit, I feel even funnier..I mentioned I took a wrong turn..It turns out I was a 1km away from the end of the stage...:rolleyes::o I don't consider it a failure. I'm not sure of the adjective to use...It is funny though!

I will train & do it again next year..

babynoahsmom
06-29-2009, 04:01 AM
YAY!!!! I am not a fan of this "feel good all the time" mentality...failing is different than (hold thumb and forefinger up to forehead) "LOSER." Sugar coating and participation awards don't change the facts. I have seen a lot of people who never want their kids to fail, are scared to fail themselves, and in doing that they lead unhappy, unadventurous, lives.

We learn just as much from failing as from winning, and winning is relative. I am THE MOST competitive person, but it is relative to myself, not necessarily others (although sometimes my best happens to be better than everyone else's, sometimes it is to just finish).

I have taught competitive sports my whole life (before I became a cop I coached riders doing three day eventing). If my students didn't perform to the best of their abilities on any given day (and their best might be different from day to day), they heard about it from me. I pushed them (and myself) to work harder, try harder, set high goals. Sometimes they would finish a dressage test or cross country course and see what they described as "my vein" and know that they had not put forth their best effort. It wasn't feel good riding, it was good riding. The rewards might have been harder to attain, but they were genuine.

Not everyone shares this view, that's cool. I'm sure, though, that Baby knows what to change and work on for next time, and can face her problems head on. This one becomes a shrug it off and try again. Thanks for giving me a good laugh to start my day off with! Will ride tonight.

OakLeaf
06-29-2009, 04:48 AM
Some good advice here.

I think my own objection to the language "I failed" is that it doesn't contain the lesson. It's not that there's anything wrong with failure. But there's something wrong with the attitude that failure is or was inevitable. To me, connotationally, there's a world of difference between "I failed" and "I made a mistake" (or two mistakes).

Training for the heat may not have been possible - I'm not sure what the weather has been in your area, but around here the temperature has been really variable this year. Right now it's about 55 degrees outside. We've had some hot days, but never three in a row yet this year, so none of us, even the ones who ride 40+ hard miles daily and at least one century every weekend (which I'm not one of those! :rolleyes:), is really acclimated to heat yet.

Training for the distance was possible. Acknowledging that you were undertrained and selecting a shorter distance for the event was also possible. To me, that wasn't a "failure," it was a "mistake," and it's important for you to identify that to yourself. "Failure" focuses on the past, self-blame and disappointment. "Mistake" focuses on planning for the future, and taking steps to be sure that if you fail again, it won't be for the same reasons.

uforgot
06-29-2009, 05:01 AM
I agree with Oakleaf. The temps and humidity here were unseasonably low until last Monday and then we were hit with temps we usually don't see until August, and the humidity was about as high as it goes. No chance to acclimate yourself. To suggest that you should have persevered is just plain dangerous. Maybe if you just gave up because you didn't feel like doing it anymore it would have been a failure, but you were smart to stop when you did and apparently others were concerned about you too. How many people say they are just fine when they aren't?

As a teacher, I also see another side of the "failure" spectrum. Parents and coaches who are on their kids 24-7 to do better. The kids never feel like a success. My own son had that problem with his father, and because I didn't know anything about basketball and cross country, he disregarded any "good jobs" I gave him. He wanted his dad's approval and to this day has never gotten it.

So, if the members of TE want to assure you that you did not fail, that 50 miles was a terrific achievement, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go along with it. Better than hearing from you a couple of days later with a thread entitled "I had heat stroke at the Tour de Corn".

Enjoy your ride today, and maybe I'll see you at that Dam Bridge!

Zen
06-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Better than hearing from you a couple of days later with a thread entitled "I had heat stroke at the Tour de Corn".

Absolutely!

I think Oakleaf said it quite well too.

babynoahsmom
06-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks advice taken. I have signed up for the 30 at BDB. I will only ride about 15-20 tonight and at a easy pace. Just wanting to get back in the saddle.

TrekTheKaty
06-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Sounds like there will be a big TE turn out for the Bridge ride. I want a Dam shirt :D

uforgot
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I guess the only way I'm going to get one is to go on the dam ride. I'll see you there.

kenyonchris
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess the only way I'm going to get one is to go on the dam ride. I'll see you there.

When is the bridge ride? In July? I searched and only found one in Sept...

uforgot
06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
When is the bridge ride? In July? I searched and only found one in Sept...

That's it. Sept. 26th. Here (http://www.bigdambridge.org/BDB100/index.htm) is the link. Everyone can head down after the Tour of Missouri.

wildeny
06-29-2009, 05:23 PM
How could I have trained to have been able to tolerate the heat?

Here is my experience.

I just attended a hilly race of 63 km to the top last Saturday. The race started around 8 am but it's over 38 C (100+ F) after 9 am (by the time I finished it's a little over 11:30 am). Many people were dehydrated and had muscle cramps before the last steep 6.3km climb (to 700 m in altitude). Some of them couldn't even continue. Being a female cyclist to finish the race is already a big achievement for me.

I'm not a fast rider. In order to finish before the closing time, I did practice the route -- especially the last climb -- twice before the race (two Saturdays). From the first experience, I learned that the two factors were important to finish the race: heat & water.

Heat:
Besides the hot weather, to make it worst, the organization even gave us number hats to cover our helmets. :mad: (see that yellow thing?)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_O8pum8JiUxw/Ska2-ueJuSI/AAAAAAAAHu4/sAZksGEQHmE/s288/2009-0627-072859.jpg
I just had to learn to deal with the heat. Keeping myself hydrated helped.

I took the arm covers off before the climb. I even took off the sun glasses so that I could wipe out the sweat easily. I also unzipped my top a little bit.

Water:
The organization didn't supply any water or food along the route, nor could the teams. It's a 2-2.25hr for the pros so it's all right, but for amateurs it's 3-4hr. I knew this so I already planned to stop in the middle to get two bottles of lemon water from a convenience store. Some people didn't check and ran out of water before that long, steep climb.

Another important thing to finish the race is
Power conservation:
In my case, before the 6.3km climb, it's 57km of ups and downs, which could consume your energy a lot during a hot weather. It's a difficult climb so conserving some energy for that would help. Some people who arrived the hill before me couldn't ride any more, not even walking, because they ran out of their energy (as well as experiencing serious dehydration, muscle cramps etc).

Even though I wasn't fast at all, I finished the race (holding the certificate).
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_O8pum8JiUxw/Ska2-4dqniI/AAAAAAAAHu8/TR9D8_U4niM/s288/2009-0627-114902.jpg

This is my personal birthday gift on my birthday. :D (and it's my first race and my first three century trips in km -- I had to ride back. :o , unlike those with the teams who had a ride home)

babynoahsmom, practice & planning ahead help. Next time you can also finish your race.

babynoahsmom
06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for even more advice. I hope to see some of you guys at the BDB. We should all wear something to identify us? Any ideas.....I WILL NOT be the one splayed on the side of the rode being chasing by the Ambulance. Hos ironic is it that a Lawyer's wife was chased by an ambulance? LOL!

babynoahsmom
06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Boy my typing sucked on that last post. I swear I have not been drinking. Just using a friend's laptop. I did by the way ride 15 miles tonight. I went by myself so that if I had to stop I wouldn't mess up someone else's ride. I just needed to prove something to myself by getting back in the saddle.