PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Jersey's with REAL built-in Sport Bras?

woodcycl
07-02-2005, 06:37 PM
My GF just started riding this year with me -- I've been riding on road (and off-road a little) for about 16yrs. She's doing well overall.

She is wearing my 'old' cycling jersey's from when I was 145lbs and 15yrs younger ... and they are working okay for her.

When we've searched, both online and at brick & mortar stores, for women's cycling jersey's, we've had absolutley NO LUCK in finding any kind of wicking sports shirts/jersey's with REAL shelf-braws built into the shirt ... the kind with the under-wire. She does not feel comfortable in the standard shelf-braw jersey's that are tight ... she doesn't like the "smashed" feeling/look in the least. She has tried on several higher quality jersey's that have the standard shelf braws. She simply won't wear them since she is not comfortable. Not sure if it matters or if she would crucify me ... but her size is 34B if that makes a difference.

Can anyone point us in the right direction for some sports shirts/jersey's with the better shelf-braws that have more support and do NOT have the standard tight/smashing contour and fit?

Thanks very much for any suggestions! ;)

Veronica
07-02-2005, 06:46 PM
I haven't found very many jerseys with built in bras and those that I have are very snug fitting and have slim straps. They are my HOT eather gear. She may be better off finding a good sports bra that she likes and wearing a jersey over that. I would say that's would most of us do, most of the time.

Veronica

SadieKate
07-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Ditto what Veronica said. Shelf-bras are pretty much the best you can find built into a jersey. If she just wants a camisole type top, a few companies like Sahalie (aka Early Winters) and TravelSmith have camisoles in 3 different lengths, some with underwire. Some have more cotton content than you'd want in a jerey, the length could leave her lower back exposed to the sun and there will be no pockets.

BTW, the "smashed" look is commonly refered to as the "uniboob." Now, that you are enlightened, bravo to you for encouraging and helping her ride! :D

woodcycl
07-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I haven't found very many jerseys with built in bras and those that I have are very snug fitting and have slim straps. They are my HOT eather gear. She may be better off finding a good sports bra that she likes and wearing a jersey over that. I would say that's would most of us do, most of the time.

Thanks for the info Veronica!

Ditto what Veronica said. Shelf-bras are pretty much the best you can find built into a jersey. If she just wants a camisole type top, a few companies like Sahalie (aka Early Winters) and TravelSmith have camisoles in 3 different lengths, some with underwire. Some have more cotton content than you'd want in a jerey, the length could leave her lower back exposed to the sun and there will be no pockets.

Thanks SadieKate! We'll definitely look into the 2 tops you described. And, thanks for the corrected terminology! ;)

We are having fun riding together on singles. However, she isn't really all that interested in riding much more than 25 or 30 miles even though we have about 650 miles together this season so far. But, that may have to do with her being a newb, slowly figuring out the right "fit" on the bike, etc. We finally found her some HIND short cycling shorts that have no seams and work pretty well. But, she has some chafing ...and at one time actually developed a "lump" about the diameter of a golf-ball near her sitbone from the saddle/riding. Our LBS had no idea what it could be the curlprit ... and that is from a woman rider/owner of the shop. But, that problem is now gone after a week to 10 days off the bike about a month ago.

So, we are still working out the kinks. And, I sincerely hope she starts to enjoy it more.

I am looking at buying the 2005 Cannondale Tandem ... and since she lOVES the COLOR ... she is willing to give it a whirl! :D

SadieKate
07-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Woodcycl, I should have added that she should sign up for this forum and delve into all the mysteries and joy of women on bikes. Send her on over!

woodcycl
07-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Woodcycl, I should have added that she should sign up for this forum and delve into all the mysteries and joy of women on bikes. Send her on over!

She isn't really into Discussion Forums, at least yet, but I'll still mention it to her. She's used to using computers and is on broadband though. And, she knows that I LIVE on all kinds of forums with varying topics (i.e. woodworking, animal rescue, cycling, motorcycling, computer repair, web development, etc.) so she may be willing to give it a try. :)

Technotart
07-02-2005, 08:09 PM
The "lump" is likely an inflamed batholins gland - these can be VERY painful, and cycling increases the likelihood of them. Basically its a small gland near the southern end of the "goodies" . Trauma or long periods of direct pressure to the area can prevent it from draining normally. Infection can then set in and make a lady MISERABLE. In some cases they need to be drained by your friendly doc, np or pa and antibiotics are needed. Some resolve on their own.

Sitting or soaking in hot moist heat helps them to reduce - they can take weeks to completely resolve and some really do need antibiotics.

Signs of trouble include: extreme pain, redness and heat to the area, or milky discharge from the gland itself, Fever, a noticable cyst or increasing redness - all signs to head to the doc. These can be recurrent.

Unfortunately - bicycle saddles put pressure directly on these glands - shift positions frequently and spend the money on the better chamois is all I can recommend. Soak in a hot bath and cleanse the area with soap as soon as possible after riding to help open the glands up. Be sure and wash the shorts after every single wear.

Some women are just plain more prone to them. They are actually pretty common - even among non-cyclists.

woodcycl
07-02-2005, 08:19 PM
The "lump" is likely an inflamed batholins gland - these can be VERY painful, and cycling increases the likelihood of them. Basically its a small gland near the southern end of the "goodies" . Trauma or long periods of direct pressure to the area can prevent it from draining normally. Infection can then set in and make a lady MISERABLE. In some cases they need to be drained by your friendly doc, np or pa and antibiotics are needed. Some resolve on their own.

Sitting or soaking in hot moist heat helps them to reduce - they can take weeks to completely resolve and some really do need antibiotics.

Signs of trouble include: extreme pain, redness and heat to the area, or milky discharge from the gland itself, Fever, a noticable cyst or increasing redness - all signs to head to the doc. These can be recurrent.

Unfortunately - bicycle saddles put pressure directly on these glands - shift positions frequently and spend the money on the better chamois is all I can recommend. Soak in a hot bath and cleanse the area with soap as soon as possible after riding to help open the glands up. Be sure and wash the shorts after every single wear.

Some women are just plain more prone to them. They are actually pretty common - even among non-cyclists.

Wow, thanks TechnoTart! I just ready your information to Joan, my GF. I nor she had ever heard of this gland or the problems associated with it for many women. Again, thanks!

swlsue
07-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Ooh - she must be in alot of pain :( - I kept getting those same pressure point lumps until I bought a Terry Butterfly saddle and had the bike shop refit my bike.

woodcycl
07-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Ooh - she must be in alot of pain :( - I kept getting those same pressure point lumps until I bought a Terry Butterfly saddle and had the bike shop refit my bike.

HI Swlsue. Yes, she was in extreme pain in a big way. I was "shocked" at the size and soreness/level of pain of the knot. I had never heard or seen anything like that in my yrs of cycling. :eek:

Irulan
07-03-2005, 09:18 AM
ditto on the good sports bra with seperate jersey. Title 9 has the best selection of sprorts bras out there.

irulan

RoadRaven
07-05-2005, 03:04 AM
I think I have said it somewhere else... but I use a firm fitting crop top under my jersey

I don't use a sports bra, because I don't find them flexible enough to fit with the forward stretches cycing demands

Dianyla
07-05-2005, 11:20 AM
ditto on the good sports bra with seperate jersey. Title 9 has the best selection of sports bras out there.
Irulan you beat me to it! The best part about Title 9 (http://www.title9sports.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=4) is that they actually provide helpful fit commentary on the bras. I really liked the look of this one bra until I read their description: "Warning: major masher bra!" :eek:

Melodylynn
07-28-2005, 11:11 AM
I wear a sports bra from Target, I believe that it is a champion with a razer back and I love it. I have 4 of them in different colors. They are breathable, stylish and affordable. I wore it today with a body armor wick dry tee shirt and was completely comfortable. I have to agree that I will only wear a sports bra and jersey. I am a 36D and find the combos to be too small in the chest area and no support. Just my two scents!

:D Melody

Geonz
08-02-2005, 01:59 PM
My fave is a CHampion "doubledry" that I got from local running store (because they **finally** got half decent stock in bras and I wanted to encourage them) but also saw in Title 9... hmmm... we're chatting up TE's competition?
I need support and flexibility - this one isn't quite as uniboobical as others but at a certain point compromises have to be made.

Technotart
08-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I have a couple of champion sports bras with racer backs and CUPS!!!! Great support, super dry and no uni boob - I think I got them at Target too...

brok
08-02-2005, 03:20 PM
do you remember the name of the Champion bra that you got?? I'm interested in getting rid of the uniboob look but haven't found a bra that I like. Thanks

Technotart
08-02-2005, 03:29 PM
I dont recall the name of it - but it was the only one target had at the time that was sort of "shaped" if that makes sense. there is a seam on the outer shell that runs up vertically up each boob - but they havnt bothered me at all.

DeniseGoldberg
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
You might be able to find the name of that Champion bra by looking at their online store at http://www.championcatalog.com/. I've had good luck buying directly from them, and they often have some kind of deal on their web site (like right now, there is a "save $10 for every 2 sports bras that you buy" deal). Of course, you may be able to find them for less at a discount retailer, but for those of us who don't like to set foot in stores...

--- Denise

Technotart
08-02-2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=76884&cgrfnbr=1167729

That looks like it!

Melodylynn
08-08-2005, 03:56 PM
http://www.championcatalog.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=790746&cgrfnbr=1167739

These are the ones that I wear. I actually wear them at home all the time! They are sooooo comfortable! They also come in a bunch of different colors.

Melody

Surlygirl
08-11-2005, 06:01 AM
I actually found a jersey with a built in bra. I have not tried them, but if you are interested you can find them at activasports.com
There are actually two types, the Activa and RRS and they come in a few colors. They seem to be made of wicking material too.