PDA

View Full Version : Tank top ride up

Reesha
06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I feel doomed never to be able to ride/run in tank tops. I have a couple but it's a constant battle!

My hips are a size large, but up top I'm pretty flat-- small or medium at best. When I try large tank tops, I don't get enough support, especially for running, so I go with medium. The problem is that the tanks are always rolling up around my waist! I spend half the time I'm running yanking my tank top back down!

Anyway, for those who share my problem, are there any tank top suggestions? I wish they'd make some tanks for people shaped like me!

OakLeaf
06-25-2009, 03:37 AM
I gave up. Separate sports bra and looser top.

But as a road rider, I don't need much support on the bike... I ride in short sleeves anyhow, but support-wise I'd have no problem with a cami or something similar.

bmccasland
06-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Sometimes I can find shorter length cut tanks. This would work if you're short, not so much if you're tall. Option #2 would be to rehem your tank to a shorter length, to a few inches past your waist. It should still cover your tummy when you raise your arms to the air. What you want is to not have the fabric of the tank stretching across the fullness of your hips, thus making it want to seek a less stressful position, like your waistline. ;)

OakLeaf
06-25-2009, 04:03 AM
If she's built like me (I'm both short and short-waisted), that's a no-go.

My hips start to flare immediately below my natural waist.

My iliac crests are two inches below my last ribs on the sides.

Tanks tight enough to support my breasts for running or aerobics, ride up above my navel.

Crankin
06-25-2009, 05:28 AM
I have the opposite problem. I can't find tank tops short enough for my short body. I just ordered 3 Merrell tanks, from STP, size x small and as soon as i unwrapped the first one, I knew it would be going back. They are at the bottom of my hips/top of thighs and the halter strap is loose and floppy.
If the bottom of the tank doesn't fall in *exactly* the right spot, it makes me look awful. My hips aren't huge, but I am a woman... being short doesn't help this. I noticed that while some manufacturers make petite sized bottoms, no one sells petite sized athletic tops and tanks. This would solve my problem. I don't sew, so that is not an option.
Nike usually fits me, but they are rarely on sale.

GLC1968
06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Terry tanks!

I have the same problem - I'm much larger on the bottom than on the top and just about any tank small enough to provide support rides up with activity.

I have found the Terry tank style tops to work well. I don't think any of them are supportive enough for running, but they work great for cycling. Enough support in the top (if I get the right size) but they flare just enough in the hips that they don't ride up. They are pricey for a tank, but I think it's worth it. My only problem is that occasionally I'll end up with a style that's not quite long enough (I have a long torso) so the little hip flare happens a bit too high up on my waist...but again, it's a small price to pay (and one that won't affect shorter-torso'ed women anyway).

For running, my only option was sports bra with a looser tank on top. Or in my case, give up running altogether! ;)

Crankin
06-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, I have given up on finding a running/yoga specific tank that fits me. I wear my Terry Eurohalters for it all. Sometimes, the pocket gets a little curled up under me in yoga, but you are right, they do fit well on the bottom. Since I have almost no chest, support while running isn't an issue. I bounce a little, but nothing noticeable!
You can get the Eurohalters really cheap in the winter; like half price.

VeloVT
06-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I am built similarly and have had good luck with the Sugoi Fizz Tank.

and TE carries them...

Reesha
06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I actually have a fizz tank and while it's great for general working out and biking some, I am totally stuck for running. I have a size large and it doesn't ride up, but I have to wear a sports bra under it cause it's almost baggy on my chest!