PDA

View Full Version : Portland Maine

michelleforeman
06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
Going to be in Portland Maine from August 6th-11th. I want to rent a road bike because I will be riding a double metric the following weekend in Los Angeles. Where should I rent a road bike and what is a good biking route in the Portland area? P.S. Never been to Portland before so I have no idea what the riding conditions are like (ie hills, mountains, wet in August, etc.). Thanks!

Michelle

Reesha
06-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I can give you a little information! Portland has little hills and they get to be a little more rolling the farther inland you go.

I highly recommend riding up around Sebago Lake (30-40 minutes N of Portland). The lake is fabulous and the roads are far less cramped with cars.

Weather is hard to predict... could be rainy, could be sunny. By that time of the year the ocean starts warming up and the lake is a beautiful 68 degrees or so.

michelleforeman
06-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks so much!

Michelle

hvaclu
06-27-2009, 03:27 AM
I believe that Gorham bike and ski has rentals and they are in Portland. I bought my bike from them this spring. They have a web site gorhambike.com and it list some of their bikes that they rent. Hope this helps. Also if you decide to venture out there is also Capeable bike shop in Kennebunkport. They also have bike rentals. They are down by the beach and its a beautiful ride down that way. Have fun. Hope the weather turns out better when your up this way. Its been raining for a week straight.

DeniseGoldberg
06-27-2009, 05:49 AM
You might want to check one of the bike routes published at http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bt_portland.html.

I've done the Portland-Lighthouse route and the Freeport-Brunswick route, both very nice. No driving necessary if you choose the Lighthouse route.

If you want to drive a bit south, the Southern Coast route is a winner too - http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bt_southern_coast.html.

--- Denise

Tuckervill
06-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I did the Lighthouse ride, too. Go out to Peaks Island with your bike. It's lovely out there. No cars, lots of tourists, but fun on a bike.

If you google the Eastern Trail Alliance, you will find a map to a trail that is part of the Lighthouse ride.

Karen