PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Lighthouses

ginny
06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone! I am planning my next big tour, and I saw a great article about over 100 lighthouses in Nova Scotia all clumped in about 300 miles of highway (or fewer - I can't remember). Anyway, I am starting my research. I have printed off a google map with all the lighthouses marked. I have contacted the Nova Scotia tourism dept, and now I am tapping this resource. I am wondering if anyone knows if this route (or part of it) is bicycle friendly. Are there shoulders on the highways? Are there better routes to take by bicycle than others? Is there a list of lodging along the way - I would prefer to do a credit card tour (I like showers) than a full on camping / cooking event. Maybe I'm soft in my old age... anyway, whatever info anyone has, I would be grateful! Thanks!

shootingstar
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Staying in /near Lunenberg, Mahone Bay or Chester would be lovely. As mentioned under "Touring" section we cycled to these places plus Peggy's Cove (which is abit touristy, but still interesting). The main highway from Lunenburg to Halifax can be busy. My partner thinks there maybe a rail trail nearby..that was created after I was there.

ridebikeme
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
There's a touring company that I work for that runs a trip in Nova Scotia. Basically, their trip runs from Yarmouth to Liverpool and back to Yarmouth... might be a great way to see lots of great scenery and many Lighthouses. Check out their website: Inmotionevents.net. :)

Veronica
06-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I cycled Nova Scotia in 2006. There was very little traffic compared to where I live. Here's a link to my report.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/wordpress/2006/07/

Clicking on either picture will take you to the rest of the photos.

Veronica

Zen
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Lotsandlotsandlots of information here (http://www.google.com/search?q=adventure+cycling+Nova+Scotia+lighthouses&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.google:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

ginny
06-30-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks, all! I have two books coming (any old excuse to buy a book), and a whole year to drool over it all... Good links - thanks!

Eden
06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Mind you this was 26 years ago.... but my mom and I and a family friend cycled Nova Scotia from Yamouth to Digby to Briar Island and back (we took the ferry from Maine) and it was quite nice. I don't remember much traffic after we were out of Halifax. There's not too many light houses in that area, but we did camp right outside of one on Briar Island. I remember it being very windy and difficult to set up the tent (as well as rocky so nothing to stake down to)

p.s. this is a memory of a 12 yo's opinion, but Rappie Pie looks like snot.... (made of potatoes I believe)