PDA

View Full Version : Tucson?

SimpleCycle
07-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Anyone else here live in or around Tucson, AZ? I'd love to meet fellow female cyclists for some road rides.

If I'm not lucky enough to find a local person, is anyone riding El Tour de Tucson in November? Maybe we could have a pre or post ride TE get together.

Dogmama
07-04-2005, 04:01 AM
Me! Tucsonian for over 40 years! But I don't ride 70 miles in this heat :D I'm riding the Tour for Tucson's kids today. I know it's late (I'm leaving in 5 minutes) but I'll be on a blue Gilmour bike with black aerobars, a red jersey & my number is 178.

SimpleCycle
07-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Ooh! So glad to find someone else in Tucson. I'm relatively new to the area, and all the cyclists I know are male.

Do you ride mostly solo or with any of the local clubs? Do you know of any women's cycling groups in the area? I've been to the Desert Foxes website, but didn't see many group rides posted.

Oh yeah, the heat. I leave REALLY early, and still I end up out close to noon. Monday's ride left me with tan lines around my bra THROUGH my jersey.

Dogmama
07-06-2005, 04:21 AM
I ride mostly solo because the club rides don't start early enough for me during the summer. There are a couple of clubs:

http://www.tucsonbicycles.com/rides.htm

http://www.bikegaba.org/

The second one is fairly active. The first one is mainly just rides from the bike shop.

Noon? My goodness, you are a hearty one! If I'm back by 9AM, it's too late!

SimpleCycle
07-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Oh, noon was a VERY BAD IDEA. What time do you go out in the mornings usually? 5:30 is about as early as I can get myself out the door.

I rode with GABA once, and it was lots of fun. I wish there were more early morning weekday rides that would get me back in time for work (and before the heat). I've been thinking about going on a Sunday ride with them sometime, although most of the start places are on the edge of town, which is far from where I live.

Dogmama
07-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I try to get out no later than 5:30 in the morning and back by 8 - 9:00 on weekends and back by 6:30 on weekdays. What part of town do you live in? I'm rather central - Ft. Lowell & Columbus. There is a GABA ride Saturday, July 16 that starts at River/Campbell and goes around "A" mountain. I think it starts at 6AM. It sounds like it might be a slow ride, though (12 -14 mph average), which doesn't thrill me. I like to ride with people who are a little better than I am so I push myself

I worked legs in the gym today, no riding. So tomorrow will be the "ouch!" ride.