PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Night Gathering

Pink Kona
06-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Last night we had a record number of female participants in our track racing - 15 women showed up! That means the racing was fast and action packed. Most of the competitive women who race Friday come to Wednesday too and from the sounds of it the racing was harder last night then most Fridays.

Our first race was a 8 lap scratch race - and during the initial neutral roll out someone from the group piped up and said - you all have to come the rest of the season! We all laughed and then the race was on. I hung in the back this time - observing the stronger women and seeing who was going to make a move and try to make it stick. Then a lap and half were left to go - the group was split into two long pacelines - I was trailing in the back and came around corner three and attacked. The stronger women were boxed in and their delayed reaction gave me enough of a lead for the final lap that I had about 10 bike lengths between me and second place. It felt good - real good. :)

I had really bad cotton mouth for the second 2 lap scratch heats and sucked air - not making the finals. But I did have ample time to recover for the final 4x4 progressive race. The trick with progressives is to wait until the end for the bigger points - because as the race continues the stakes get higher. I collected the 2nd, 3rd win and then placed second for the final sprint. I won the race overall and had enough points to secure a second place for omnium. (Pretty impressive considering I totally missed any points possible from the 2 lap scratch race.) All in all - another great night out at the track!

I highly encourage any of you that are interested in the velodrome to get out there and take a class. I think it's one of the most thrilling aspects of racing. Oh - and if absolutely zero of what I just wrote about makes no sense - please let me know and I will be happy to explain. :rolleyes: