PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with the heat....

anabanana
06-21-2009, 06:27 AM
It's been really hot in Atlanta these past couple of weeks. I was doing very well when the temperature was in the 80's. I was making steady progress. Now that I'm riding when the temperatures are in the 90's, my average has slowed down quite a bit. I'm climbing very well but I am very short of breath and so so hot.

Is there anything you can recommend to help me with energy and hydration. I take 2 water bottles but midway through the ride the water gets very hot. Any ideas???

Thanks!!

TrekTheKaty
06-21-2009, 07:10 AM
It's been in the 80's here in St. Louis. We just hit 90 this week. I found it was a slow acclimation last summer. Just take it easy and hydrate. We get up earlier and earlier--and there are some days it's just too hot and humid. Take it slow. Your body learns to be more efficient over time (I forget the physiology explanation).

anabanana
06-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Do you only drink water or do you drink something else?

TrekTheKaty
06-21-2009, 07:14 AM
I used to drink Gatorade, but now I drink Cytomax. You need to replace the salt you are sweating out.

Selkie
06-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Acclimation. You need to give your body time to adapt to the higher temps. Happens every year, every time the weather gets hot/humid or cold.

Maybe you can freeze the fluid in one of your bottles before you ride, allowing it to thaw out and give you a supply of cold water? Or get an insulated water bottle & use ice cubes?

TrekTheKaty
06-21-2009, 07:25 AM
I have 2-24 oz insulated bottles that I fill with ice, cytomax, then water. Ice cream stops help too--cool you from the inside out :)

anabanana
06-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I'll try the insulated bottles and the Cytomax next time. I love the ice cream idea too:)

deeaimond
06-21-2009, 08:33 AM
I have one of those Polar brand insulated bottles they sell at all the bike shops ard here, and believe me, they don't work. at all. they just reduce the amt of fluid u can carry in the same bottle. Please don't waste yr money. It might be better to just fill the bottles 2/3 full and freeze them on their sides. bring one frozen bottle and one reg bottle so by the middle of the ride, the one remaining bottle is still cool and drinkable.

Ann G
06-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Riding early in the morning works well. I also keep two water bottles full, and when it gets hot, I squirt a little water through one of the holes in my helmet, and spinkle a little on the back of my neck. That helps a lot.

nolemom
06-21-2009, 10:49 AM
It is difficult with the heat and the humidity. I did 70 miles this morning in 90+ heat and the Cytomax is absolutely necessary. We plan our breaks for stores where we can pick up cold water to mix with our powders (or some of the guys actually go for the soft drinks). I have also ordered some Enduralyte (Hammer product) since so many of the strong riders also mix it into their bottles with their energy drinks. I guess it really comes down to trial and error to see what works best for you.

lattae
06-21-2009, 11:52 AM
We went biking this morning and biked the trails on the MCT system in Collinsville and Edwardsville region. We made two pits stops at the local Culvers to wash off with cold water and for fluid replacement. Then we were halfway on our ride and went to the local coffee shop in Edwardsville to wash off/soak up the A/c and enjoy a frozen frappicino. So it was possible to ride in this heat if you take precautions. I use a polar bottle with Hammer Heed, frozen on it's side , then add a small amt of cold water before we start the ride. It stays cold for a while for my comfort. I also use a camelbak filled with water and ice cubes so being hydrated is not a problem for me. The heat can make the ride miserable and I've found that the older I'm getting that I need to take a couple of pit stops to cool off for a few minutes.. part of my problem also is the 'hot flashes' :(

Geonz
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't ride in the heat of the day. I'm just a weather weenie. Mornings or evenings... and when it's hot... I don't go fast.

I do drink lots, toss in extra salt and fruits and anything with electrolytes... and wait for the fall and winter :)

kenyonchris
06-21-2009, 02:25 PM
+1 on the frozen heed...just not in the camelbak :rolleyes:

tctrek
06-21-2009, 03:13 PM
anabanana, I feel your pain. We got a bit of a late start this morning (Atlanta area). Halfway through the ride, my bike computer said 111 degrees!! I know that's the heat off the tar, but it was dang hot. We ride with bottles of Cytomax, but we hit a convenience store and bought cold water to mix with it and to pour on ourselves. I also started riding with Cool Wings: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodDE_CW7.html - they really work to keep you cooled down.

Let's now talk about the wind this weekend!! You would think it would cool you down, but all it did was blow me sideways all weekend :mad:

TrekTheKaty
06-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Glad to hear some feedback on the cool wings. I also forgot to try one of those "cooling" bandanas--left it laying on the dining room table.

Went to a bike race today--it was hotter sitting on the sidewalk than riding our bikes 1 mile up to see the course. The racers were HOT--I heard one say he thought he was going to pass out. We ate ice cream out of sympathy.

Aggie_Ama
06-21-2009, 04:04 PM
100 degree in Texas here. I didn't read all the posts so sorry for the repeats.

You have to acclimate, make sure you are drinking something other than water and I have to up my intake. Pour water on your head (you are going to look like crap when you take off the helmet anyway). A Buff (look at REI for them) is great as a skull cap with water on it. Put ice in your sports bra if you stop for a refill, it is magical. Also I have to have something with sugar when I am done like a coke. I really love my Camelbak bottles (non-insulated) so freezing them helps. I also slow down, the heat is brutal and you can ride all day in it if you are smart.

ny biker
06-21-2009, 04:33 PM
The worst for me is when the sun is highest, between 12:30 and 3 pm, give or take. If I can't avoid riding during that time, I'll stop as often as necessary wherever I can find shade. Ideally I'll go into a convenience store or some other air conditioned place, because that's best for bringing your temperature down quickly. Also cold water on my lower back or a small bag of ice in my jersey pocket works wonders.

surgtech1956
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I like to carry 2 bottles, one with just water and the other with 1/2 water and 1/2 gatorade and freeze them. I drink the water first, then the gatorade. Last Friday it was suppose to be quite hot, so I got up before work and rode at 4:30am - I leave for work at 5:50am and home at 5:30p.

crazycanuck
06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Our summers can be very humid n scorchy or just plain scorchy so hydration is the key on n off the bike.
Ensure you're well hydrated all day & not just before you ride or during etc. In the summer i drink at least 2l of water/day.

My dear & I have a weather cut off..if it's over 36C we'll reconsider... Either bike at 5am til sunrise or at night. Night riding is fun :D

polly4711
06-21-2009, 09:50 PM
With living in Texas for the past 5 years and Eastern Tennesee for the previous part of my life for that, I've learned a few tips...

Obviously, it's important to drink LOTS of water. I've learned that if I have a straw out of a waterbottle (just open the lid) I'll drink more during the day than having to open the water bottle. Also, don't be afraid to have something sweet to replace that sugar that is so easily lost.

I've been doing rides/going on walks at a hotter part of the day (I'll walk durig the hotest) for a while, and it has made riding my bike soo much better! On the bike, I then enjoy the breeze, etc.

Good luck!

Loraura
06-22-2009, 05:42 AM
I notice that as soon as the outside temperature goes above normal body temperature, I suffer with the heat. It's been 99-100 here in AUstin. Supposed to see 103 this week.

Here's how we deal with the heat:

1)Hydrate OFF the bike. I try to drink (3) 24 ounce bottles of water per day off the bike reardless of if I ride that day or not. On the bike water is in addition to this.

2)Have plenty of cool water ON the bike. This means 2 large insulated waterbottles that start out filled to the top with ice. I prefer the Camelback Podium Chilljacket (http://www.rei.com/product/785080) bottles, but the Polar Insulated Bottles (http://www.rei.com/product/738004)work well too. If I have the chance, I will freeze one water bottle solid. It always melts enough by the time the first bottle is empty. Sometimes I will add Cytomax or G2 to the frozen bottle (prior to freezing, of course).

3)If I'm stopping at a convienience store, I will buy a water, and fill up my bottles with ice from the soda fountain.

4)If I'm on a planned longer ride (40 plus miles) I will drag out the camelback backpack with bladder. Fill the bladder with ice, then add water.

Basically I'll be wringing with sweat, but I'll be cool, as long as I'm hydrated.

If I drink nothing but soda and coffee off the bike, I will be in some serious hurt on the bike in 100 degree heat.

Cataboo
06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
I try to ride later in the day. I use a deuter hydration backpack, that basically keeps the bag away from my back - so I don't get a sweaty back wearing it. I fill my hydration bag with ice & water... keeps the water cool along my ride.

I do use cooldownz - which are basically these headband thingies that you soak in water (I use ice water) and they have some gel that swells up & retains the cold water. I just tie that around my neck.

If I do get too hot, I stop in the shade & remove my helmet and let my head cool down... if my head's too hot, I tend to bonk quickly & get miserable...

alliecat
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I agree =those expensive insulated bottles do not work..glad someone mentioned it.

kenyonchris
06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
With living in Texas for the past 5 years and Eastern Tennesee for the previous part of my life for that, I've learned a few tips..
Obviously, it's important to drink LOTS of water. I've learned that if I have a straw out of a waterbottle (just open the lid) I'll drink more during the day than having to open the water bottle. Also, don't be afraid to have something sweet to replace that sugar that is so easily lost.

Good luck!

If you are doing high exertion/prolonged activity in this heat (born and raised in Texas, I have learned the hard way) you MUST replace your electrolytes....you can get water poisoning if you consume plain water while sweating out all your electrolytes...hyponatremia (I am not sure I spelled that right), which I, coincidentally, have had. It was the most miserable, horrible, terrible condition I have had, and I have had some weird things and am generally pretty stoic.

Stay hydrated during the day with water, then consume liquid with an electrolyte supplement mixed in, or take an electrolyte supplement with your water.

ny biker
06-22-2009, 06:07 PM
I did a metric a few weeks ago where I tried Gu Roctane for the first time. It has more than 2x the sodium of regular Gu plus added potassium (plus some other stuff - "Roctane Amino Blend.")

I'm planning to use it for rides on hot days this summer, as part of electrolyte replacement.

OakLeaf
06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Magnesium, too. "Designer" sports drinks usually include some magnesium, but maybe not enough; convenient-store and homemade sports drinks usually don't have magnesium at all.

I started getting night leg cramps when the weather turned warm (even though I was hydrating with Heed, which does contain some Mg). I added 500 mg magnesium daily to the 3:2 calcium/magnesium supp I was already taking, and the cramps went away.

But then, I sweat. As I said last year - after a hard ride I like to jump in the pool to dry off. :rolleyes:

kacie tri-ing
06-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I also feel your pain. We are having some very very hot/southern weather!

Pedal Wench
06-23-2009, 06:32 AM
I agree =those expensive insulated bottles do not work..glad someone mentioned it.

That's funny. I can freeze a Polar bottle and have it remain cold, if not frozen, for significantly longer than a regular bottle. At least an hour longer.

GLC1968
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM
That's funny. I can freeze a Polar bottle and have it remain cold, if not frozen, for significantly longer than a regular bottle. At least an hour longer.

Ditto.

Now it's rarely hot where I ride, so I don't need them but that was all we used when I lived in NC. A regular bottle would leave my frozen water HOT by the time I finished it - the polar bottle - still cool.

It would stay frozen way longer if you fill it half full and leave it on it's side in the freezer overnight. The solid ice mass melts much slower than cubes (less surface area).

I also agree about wearing a wet buff on your head under your helmet. It holds water better than hair, so it stays cool. Just squeeze some extra water into it when you stop to keep it wet.

ZenSojourner
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Stop and take a break. Once you overheat you're going to stay that way for a long time. It just increases exponentially and wildly if you over do it. Better to stop BEFORE it hits the red zone and take the time too cool off.

sundial
06-28-2009, 04:17 AM
I've ridden in 95-100+ temps and learned a couple of things. Riding with a Camelbak for longish rides will keep me better hydrated. I add Elite to the water to help keep my electrolytes in check. I also carry a couple of bottles on the bike to be used as shower bottles and I douse my jersey and head with the water to help keep me cooler. Also, wearing a cycling cap helps keep sweat out of the eyes, the head cooler, and the visor really does help block the sun and makes it seem a little cooler.

If you do plan to ride in the hottest part of the day, you may notice your speed is down, particularly if it's humid. Plan accordingly for this--you don't want to plan a long ride, putter out, and then experience a heat stroke. (People who have experienced heat stroke do not tolerate certain temps.)

Add about 5 degrees from the heat coming up from the road. You might want to adjust your tire inflation to account for this.

Sunscreen seems to keep me cooler as does jerseys with sleeves. I thought I'd be cooler in a sleeveless jersey but found it to be the opposite.

When your heart rate is climbing and you can no longer get cool, it's best to get off the bike and call it a day. The sun will fatigue you more than you realize and you might be surprised just how inviting that nap is. Enjoy your ride and keep your phone handy in case you want to call a friend to meet you for ice cream. :)