PDA

View Full Version : A tiny bit of good news

MomOnBike
06-20-2009, 07:35 PM
In a long phone conversation with my non-bike-understanding sis-in-law, I discovered (among many other things) that her awareness of the fact that I ride a bike ON THE ROAD has made her more aware of bikes and more respectful of them. I guess she wouldn't want to face the family if she squashed me flat. :)

So, as much as we complain about the pickup driving crowd (my family generally), they are teachable. I know at least two drivers (SIL and bro) who now give us on bikes at least a little respect.

Moral of story:
Um, I dunno. Maybe something about putting a human face on both cyclists and drivers. And respect.

divingbiker
06-21-2009, 03:12 AM
In a long phone conversation with my non-bike-understanding sis-in-law, I discovered (among many other things) that her awareness of the fact that I ride a bike ON THE ROAD has made her more aware of bikes and more respectful of them. I guess she wouldn't want to face the family if she squashed me flat. :)

So, as much as we complain about the pickup driving crowd (my family generally), they are teachable. I know at least two drivers (SIL and bro) who now give us on bikes at least a little respect.

Moral of story:
Um, I dunno. Maybe something about putting a human face on both cyclists and drivers. And respect.

My family is out there near you (small town 70 miles west) and I think my doing Tour de Nebraska and BRAN have made them much more aware of bikes on the road also. Not that they were aggressive anyway, but they certainly don't begrudge us our little bit of space any more.

deeaimond
06-21-2009, 03:47 AM
MoM on Bike,

I agree. When I spoke with several colleagues about cycling on the road, I realised that they don't really know what it entails, how fast we go, why we do certain things etc. After explaining to them why we don't hug the curb etc, then they understand we don't do things coz we're arrogant or obnoxious, and they kinda watch out for cyclists on the road more.

That said, many cyclists i know have annoying road habits. if i were a driver i would be soooo pissed off too. cyclist or not.

but yes i understand the reference to to the general driver, not the pissed off driver. and i totally agree that the knowledge that that cyclist could be someone's loved one does make them more understanding and treat cyclists as humans rather than something taking up space on the road.

:D
D

Mr. Bloom
06-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Share the Road signs help alot...it's like they give people license to "be nice";)

tctrek
06-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Funny you should mention that... every Monday I hold my staff meeting at work and the first few minutes of the meetings they ask me where I rode that weekend. I give them a short description of my road rides. All of them have commented back that knowing someone who is out there riding on the road has given them a new perspective of cyclists. I do agree that part of the responsibility of spreading the word is up to us!

Another good story is when I had to go to our company's Seattle office for a 1 week business trip. I happened to mention to someone out there that I ride a bike. 1 year later, she sent me an email telling me that I had inspired her to get healthy and start to ride and that she in turn got her DH and kids involved. Their whole family did a 50 mile ride together... all newbies! Wow, did that make me feel great that someone caught on to my love of cycling.

Spread the word!!

shootingstar
06-21-2009, 05:27 AM
I've never really discussed this with family or friends on effect on their driving. But there are several family members who do cycle but not as frequently as I do. Several returned to cycling after I restarted cycling for a few years. Not certain if I helped influence them. But I do cycle with them if they are willing when visiting one another..which isn't often.

Presumably they are more alert car drivers when seeing cyclists.

My pie in the sky hope is, the more people who return to cycling even if only occasional, the more they realize how important their car driving style is and will adjust accordingly on the road.

Well, that's my theory. :rolleyes:

Red Rock
06-21-2009, 06:03 AM
I had a conversation with a work colleague about all of this last week. I told her that I was a hiker and cyclist. When I mentioned that, katy bar the door..here she came with how cyclists should not be in the road. She new of a cyclist who was in the road or on the edge of the road and was clipped by a car/truck and killed in Moab. When she started going off on all of this my head could not keep the pace as to how to repond. I did think of everyone hear and how this was a teachable moment. She was saying how cyclists should use the sidewalks that is what they are made for. Then she said something to the effect of how cyclists should pay for the right to use the road. At that point, I had had it. I was fumming inside and did not know how to make it a "good" disscussion without there being problems. So I did not really say much to her comments. I think I was in total shock mostly. I have never spoken with anyone who was so against cyclists. I thought I was in a religious or polical debate.

I came home and told my DH about it and he was glad I did not totally respond.

If it happens again, I do not know what to say to someone who already has their mind made up and is not going to change.

Red Rock

TrekTheKaty
06-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Another good story is when I had to go to our company's Seattle office for a 1 week business trip. I happened to mention to someone out there that I ride a bike. 1 year later, she sent me an email telling me that I had inspired her to get healthy and start to ride and that she in turn got her DH and kids involved. Their whole family did a 50 mile ride together... all newbies! Wow, did that make me feel great that someone caught on to my love of cycling.

Spread the word!!

I spent a weekend visiting friends in LA. As we drove around, I hung my head out the window like a puppy, oogling all the cyclists--I was missing a long ride with my DH back home. Later I showed them pics of some of our longer rides.

Two weeks later they called and said that I made cycling sound so fun--they bought two bikes. They could throw a rock from their house at a bike path that goes forever. They call regularly to check in, ask for advice and to see where I've been on my bike.

redrhodie
06-21-2009, 07:36 AM
I had a conversation with a work colleague about all of this last week. I told her that I was a hiker and cyclist. When I mentioned that, katy bar the door..here she came with how cyclists should not be in the road. She new of a cyclist who was in the road or on the edge of the road and was clipped by a car/truck and killed in Moab. When she started going off on all of this my head could not keep the pace as to how to repond. I did think of everyone hear and how this was a teachable moment. She was saying how cyclists should use the sidewalks that is what they are made for. Then she said something to the effect of how cyclists should pay for the right to use the road. At that point, I had had it. I was fumming inside and did not know how to make it a "good" disscussion without there being problems. So I did not really say much to her comments. I think I was in total shock mostly. I have never spoken with anyone who was so against cyclists. I thought I was in a religious or polical debate.

I came home and told my DH about it and he was glad I did not totally respond.

If it happens again, I do not know what to say to someone who already has their mind made up and is not going to change.

Red Rock

No use arguing with an idiot. Just a big waste of time.

Red Rock
06-21-2009, 07:54 AM
redroadie- thanks for the input. Needless to say, it was not how I wanted to start my day. I had to take a few deep breaths to relax.

Red Rock

MomOnBike
06-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Red Rock -

Yeah, that was my brother. "No reason for the ##%*&^ bicycles on the road," etc. SIL was the same, with fewer deletable expletives.

And then I started touring.

I think they're kind of proud that I just get on the bike and go, not letting the fear of cars stop me. Also, sudenly, its ME they are cussing, and Brother, at least, knows better than that. I'm the mean big sister.

I don't think that trying to "convert" people to bike lovers will do any good, but being a known, friendly face on a bike can't hurt anything. And some will hate bikes Just Because. Those may never change, but will eventually fade away.

In other words, don't argue, it won't do any good, but be a good example, which might.