PDA

View Full Version : shootingstar made me think about electronic gizmos.

smilingcat
06-18-2009, 09:38 PM
about two/three months ago, my heart rate monitor went out. bit annoying and didn't feel like spending more money for a new heart rate monitor, computer with altimeter... So I went without it. I thought I was going to have a bit of withdrawl from not knowing.

Instead, a strange and a wonderful thing has happened. I feel like I've been liberated from the electronic monitoring, intrusion, into my "zen" of riding. I feel like I'm not a slave to that thing while I ride. And I'm actually enjoying my ride more these days. Its no longer a cursing match against the constant monitoring. I guess I have enough experience to know when I'm reaching my anaerobic/aerobic threshold, where my "80%/85%/90%" level effort is. I now ride at my perceived level of exertion and I feel more than okay with the non-scientific approach. I'm not racing so really no need to test my VO2max, power output...

That one little piece of equipment going bad has made me realize that I really don't want power tap to monitor my power output, cadence information, speed, elevation climbed. I feel like I'm getting back to where I used to be, being one with my bike and enjoying my ride like I used to.

Please understand, I'm not trying to poo-poo those who have a want for the heart rate monitor, power tap, multi-function cycling computer, the new electronic cable less Dura Ace shifter. I'm just burnt out on those things and prefer to ride old fashioned ride. Yes I'm getting old and longing for the good 'ol days.

If you don't have these gizmos and feeling ashamed or feeling like a not being a serious cyclist, Don't. Just enjoy your ride and take in the full experience and the joy of riding.

lph
06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I rode without these things for years, but rode with a bike computer last year. Fun, but I was constantly checking it, wondering why it wasn't working etc. Wore a HR monitor occasionally, but just putting it on would make my HR rise.

Skipped them both now that I'm not doing any real training on a bike. I like gizmos, but only if they work all the time and don't interfere with anything else.

Mr. Bloom
06-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I now ride at my perceived level of exertion and I feel more than okay with the non-scientific approach.

Once I took the HRM off, I learned to "feel the beat" of my own heart and adjust my exertion accordingly. Sometimes, my legs feel like they could go faster, but "the beat" tells me I couldn't sustain it for long...

Plus, I've stopped always wearing my heavily padded Pearl Izumi Gel Vent gloves...by treating the symptom of hand pain with heavy gloves, I wasn't focused on the core problem of bad posture...not having the gloves keeps me very focused on proper posture.

BUT, I will not give up the Garmin for anything! I'm still a numbers kind of guy!

OakLeaf
06-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Yeah, I never look at my HRM while I'm riding, but I do like having the numbers for after. I do use the HRM for running - but on the bike I just ride, I don't train. I like having the cadence monitor - I have a pretty good sense of my cadence, but I'll fine-tune it with the monitor. In a paceline, I use the timer and speedometer when I'm pulling to time my pulls and make sure I'm maintaining a constant speed.

What I really, really need the gizmo for on the bike is MAPPING. I have the world's worst sense of direction AND a phobia of being lost. (A true phobia I think - we were discussing that in another thread - I get really panicky.) Not a good combination. So having the maps is an ENORMOUS comfort.

tulip
06-19-2009, 05:02 AM
I used to ride with a HRM in spin class (until I left it at the gym--doh!), but I never rode with it outside. It kept me from getting too bored in spin class. I used to not have a cycling computer, but it's pretty difficult to follow cue sheets without one, so I use it for distance.

shootingstar
06-19-2009, 05:15 AM
I've never worn a heart monitor. Cycling regularily for many years now. Would only wear a heart monitor if a doctor told me I had to monitor my heart due to a heart problem. (Is that another proper use???)

I can usually tell by my breathing, effort, etc. how fit/unfit I am when doing certain hills.

I gave up the bike computer several yrs. ago. But bike computer was helpful to me during first few yrs. when returning to cycling since it was a motivator. But now, I know my approx. mileage since I do some set local routes regularily plus for trips out of town, that I do with dearie, I find out from him what we've done for those days. ie. I know I've done over 1,000+ kms. in last 4 wks. But no need to know precisely.

By comparison to all the posters above, I'm a lazy bum about my own cycling performance in general. :)

But in thinking about all this, HRM would drive me nuts, because for us, cycling is a necessity since we don't have a car. So for me, to do stuff, go somewhere, cycling is a constant reminder to self. So having a HRM, would feel like psychological deadweight, like another "reminder" to our whole lifestyle since a long, fitness ride, flips into an errand ride before the whole ride all ends.

OakLeaf
06-19-2009, 05:31 AM
if a doctor told me I had to monitor my heart due to a heart problem. (Is that another proper use???)

Yep. I know two people who do that with ordinary fitness HRMs. One of them is a doctor so I guess he knows what he's doing.

TrekTheKaty
06-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Gizmos are good when you start--teach you to pick up your cadence and keep your HR in the correct range. I don't look at the cadence much anymore, I can do it on my own. Same with the HR--I only put it on every several months to see if my fitness is improving. So it is liberating to free yourself from these gizmos.

However, I'm with Silver--I won't give up my mileage and avg speed. I'm addicted. I bike for fitness and it's my motivation to keep moving!

arielmoon
06-19-2009, 06:37 AM
I am right with you on this. My computer has just the basics. :) All I need is mileage and average speed. :)

OakLeaf
06-19-2009, 06:52 AM
As I alluded to, I think it's different whether you're riding alone or in a group, and if in a group, what sort of a group.

In a paceline, I sometimes ride with people who get to the front and either accelerate or let their speed drop off. If they watched their speedo, they'd be able to maintain speed, and if they watched the timer, they'd figure out how long they could pull, and peel off before their speed starts to drop from fatigue.

On the evening rides, we've had an issue the last few weeks of people showing up who can't complete the distance before dark. Rides are posted in advance on mapmyride. If they knew their average speed over the terrain, they'd know to either plan a short cut or (sorry) just not come.

shootingstar
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
This is going to sound nutty, but if there was a whole group of "senior" looking cyclists all wearing HRMs, that would be a different impression to outsiders, compared to a bunch of young hammering pups wearing them.

Even if the greying, cycling seniors were in top fitness shape.

GLC1968
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
When I first started riding, I bought the Polar with all the bells and whistles (HRM, barometric altimeter, cadence, etc) and I loved having all that info after a ride was over even if I didn't use it much during the ride. I actually used it both ways (during and after) depending on the ride and found it both motivating and helpful.

Three years later, it broke. I sent it in for service. It came back and didn't work right, but I wasn't sure if it was the watch/chest strap or the sensors. I was in the process of replacing the sensors when we moved across the country and life got in the way of biking. Over a year later, I finally get around to biking again for fitness (and not just for fun and transportation) and of course, it's still not working. Unfortunately, it's been over a year since the service, so I don't think I have any recourse should I contact Polar. I find that without any info, I feel not only blind, but I feel less motivated to ride. I'll still do my commute, but I certainly won't be trying to better my time or anything. I don't want to do weekend rides as much either (being as out of shape as I am) because without the numbers to see the improvment, it's again, less motivating.

My husband just bought me an Edge 305 as a gift a little over a week ago and now I find myself excited to get out and ride again.

I'm a numbers geek. I like the tools for motivation. Sometimes I don't care, but most of the time I do...even if I don't use it during the ride, I like having it all at my fingertips.

That said, I don't forsee using the HRM part of it for EVERY ride. I ride for lots of reasons and not all of them require that level of monitoring.