PDA

View Full Version : Biking in Breck

TrekTheKaty
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm coming from sea level to stay in Breck for 4 days (I make it a couple times a year). Any suggested routes for (oxygen deprived) beginners? I'm used to riding the road and crushed gravel bike trails. We'll have access to mountain bikes.

weathergal
06-25-2009, 04:09 AM
I haven't been there myself yet, and won't until I take an organized tour in August. But apparently there are a lot of nice paved bike paths in Breckenridge and the surrounding area. You can take the trail to Frisco, Keystone, or Silverthorne, or all the way to Vail if you want. From what I read the path goes up to Frisco and then the ride around Dillon Lake is pretty easy. I couldn't find any info online as to where exactly the trailheads are, but I imagine if you asked around someone would know. A general summery can be found here (http://www.summitnet.com/activityguide/activity.cfm?url=bike&link=Bik&title=Bicycle%20Touring&ad=1&display=av-bike).

Kathi
06-25-2009, 05:03 AM
A really neat ride for mtn bikes is Boreas Pass Road. It's an old RR bed and is pretty gentle. It has great views of Breck and at the top there is Section House. It's part of the hut system and we snowshoed to it 2 winters ago and spent 2 nights there. It's a pretty brutal place in the winter.

You can also ride the service road at Keystone. You can ride all the way to the Outback restaurant but when we tried it we didn't make it as the terrain gets steeper around the second chair lift.

There is a paved trail from Breck to Frisco. From there you can ride to Dillion and on to Keystone. Mostly small rollers except the part going into Frisco. The section of the trail around the lake used to have lots of pine trees and was very pretty but have been removed due to beetle kill.

The trail up Vail pass is paved, not really that difficult. It runs between I-70 and it is a must do. You can access it from Frisco, a constant climb but not hard, or at Copper Mtn. Starting from Copper the trail climbs and flattens with one steep section near the end.

If you're feeling good there is a new paved trail that goes up to Swan Mtn road. At the end of the trail ride a mile on the road to get to the top or you can end at the parking lot and go back down the trail to Summit Cove. I found the climb to the top pretty hard.

When you get to Breck pick up a copy of the Summit biking book. It has maps, parking lots, level of difficulty, etc for both mtn and paved trails. It should be in the bike shops and the visitor center at Silverthorne.

On weekend the trails are crowded with families and novice riders. Bring a rain jacket, afternoon storms are common in the mtns. They roll in without warning usually around 1-2 pm. The temps drop and it is pretty miserable without appropriate gear.

Drink lots of water before you come and stay hydrated while you're here. Keep your first couple of rides easy, you will feel the altitude.

Weathergal, what tour are you doing in August? I'm volunteering for an August tour.

weathergal
06-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Weathergal, what tour are you doing in August? I'm volunteering for an August tour.

I'm doing Adventure Cycling's High Country Relaxed (http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/tourdetail.cfm?t=EV&id=137&p=1). I had originally planned on doing the Colorado Peace Ride (http://www.thepeaceride.com/) in western Colorado, and had asked for time off of work accordingly. Then I looked a little closer and figured out it was a little beyond my abilities, especially for a flat-lander. The Adventure Cycling tour was around the same time period and also in Colorado but not as difficult, so I bit the bullet and signed up. Hopefully it will be fun.

TrekTheKaty
06-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks! We made it up Boreas Pass. I'll be back in Sept, and would like to ride into Frisco. The 09 summit biking was better than the 08 copy I had.

Pedal Wench
06-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Weathergal - both those tours sound great. We were really considering the Peace Ride and met the organizers - great people, really concerned with getting their ride off the ground. I just ran out of vacation days to do theirs, but I've been on those roads before and they're gorgeous!

The Adventure Cycling tour looks great too! Been on lots of those paths too. The path around Dillon (Lake Dillon?) is just super pretty. I've been up Vail Pass too. Be careful on the descent - there's one steep little dip under the Interstate with a sharp blind turn. Just stay alert, but have fun! :)