PDA

View Full Version : Anyone surf?

ASammy1
06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I would love to learn and was just wondering what was the best way to get into it. What do you think of surf camps?

spokewench
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
You can go to other sports and see my surfing saga. I learned to surf a couple of years ago because my girlfriend was turning 50 and she had always wanted to learn and asked me to go with her. Quite a challenge for someone who really does not like water. We took a 5 day Surf Diva Camp in La Jolla California for women. It was GREAT! We both learned to surf, both were up on surf boards surfing. The picture with two women is my friend on the left side of photo and me on the right. Me on the board waiting for a wave.

spoke

crazycanuck
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I often see a group from a particular Surf School at my fave beach & think..hmm...That would be cool.

The only thing that keeps me from doing surfing here in WA..sharks..

tulip
06-19-2009, 06:10 AM
There must be surf lessons at Virginia Beach! I mean, it's not Oahu, but there is some surfing.

badger
06-19-2009, 08:26 PM
my boyfriend grew up surfing, so he decided to teach me how. BIG mistake!! Just because I can swim (in a pool, that's completely different!), he assumed I'm ready to go, so he took me out in the deep and when a big huge wave came, I flipped right over on my back and before I knew it I was in a washing machine. Every time I thought I was in the clear, another wave would come and I'm under again. I really thought I was going to die.

Needless to say, that really scarred me.

I've taken a lesson since, and I'm happy just playing in the break waters, but I'm not huge on going out in the deep where I can't stand up.

I honestly can't say I enjoy it because I have a huge fear of drowing, and surfing just seems like a lottery every time you go.

Anyways, plenty of people are hooked on it, but I prefer snowboarding to surfing.

I highly recommend surf school just so you can avoid what I went through.

Sorry if this is a downer post. But yeah, I've surfed, and I still occasionally surf, but I'm happy never to surf again.