PDA

View Full Version : Mac users: what GPS software do you use?

yellow
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
OK Mac users, tell me what GPS you use and why. I use a Garmin and have the Garmin TC for Mac but am not confident about the numbers. It would be great to have something like Sport Tracks, which can only be used in Windows. I am playing around with the TrailRunner software but am not all that impressed. The MacGPS Pro is $60 but it doesn't seem to use air photos. Anyone have that software?

(Yes, I am new to Mac. Got one for my movie making. This machine is in.cred.i.ble! :D I still have my Windows laptop, but I think it's going to get a lot less use now...)

ilima
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
I use Ascent with my Garmin. I think it's now selling for $40 (I paid $30 a couple years ago).

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/

Mr. SR500
06-19-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm not going to be much help, as I just use the free Garmin software. But if you really like a Windows based program, there are a number of dual boot programs that will let you run Windows on a Mac. Good Luck.

OakLeaf
06-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah, I'm using SportTracks with Parallels. I use GTC also, but honestly for the things I like about it, I like the Windows version much better. So I'm not much help either.

It's not just sports software, it's all mapping software. The reason I got Parallels to begin with was to run DeLorme Street Atlas. From what I understand, there are just two companies that provide map data and the licenses are pretty expensive, which makes the software in turn pretty expensive. So when the market will be small, as for Mac software, companies are hesitant to come out with something. (There used to be a Street Atlas for Mac, but they discontinued it many years ago.) And it's why apps like SportTracks link to Google Maps instead. But then they're useless offline, which believe it or not, sometimes I still have a need/want for offline viewing. :rolleyes:

TrekTheKaty
06-19-2009, 06:24 AM
I love motionbased.com. Years back, Garmin's software didn't work on mac. It's free unless you like to keep ALL your history--which I do. It's also great to search routes others are doing in your area. (Make sure you click private if you leave from your house).

LOVE MY MAC! DH finally gave in, too :D

OakLeaf
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I haven't really explored Garmin Connect yet, but I believe that it's completely free?

susan.wells
06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
I haven't tried it with my MAC but it has been recommended by a colleague. He uses iSMARTtrain (http://www.ismarttrain.com/) with Polar but it says Garmin & PowerTap also.