PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions re: "seat pain"???

debm62
06-17-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello! I'm looking for input from any female cyclists who may have experienced some of the issues I'm having regarding riding discomfort in the "crotch" area. I ride a road bike, probably 80-100 miles a week on average. I commute to work, do longer rides on weekends, ride in century events, etc. I bought my bike about a year ago and have been through three different saddles, my current one being a Terry Butterfly. I'm fine on my commute to work, which is only about 10 miles round trip. But...anything in excess of 20 miles, and I'm in agony. I've tried adjusting the handlebars up and back so that I don't have to stretch so far forward. No luck. I am at the point where I've even considered getting a hornless seat -- the pain is that bad. But aside from the fact that the hornless seats look ridiculous, I'm concerned about stability on turns and downhills, etc. So, I'm wondering about the SheBeest Shelastic Chamois, and hoping that might provide some relief. The problem may have something to do with my riding technique, I don't know. All I know is that I love riding and it's something that I intend to continue doing on a regular basis, but this pain is preventing me from enjoying my rides and more rigorous training. Any suggestions? Any experience with Shebeest shorts?

Thanks,
Debbie

Grits
06-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I feel your pain! I have tried the Terry Butterfly, the Bontrager Inform, the Selle Italia Lady Diva Gel, and the Terry Falcon X (twice). All but the Falcon X caused soft tissue pain in the front. The Falcon X has a larger cut out, but it made my sit bones feel bruised. I am giving it another try because I would rather have the back pain than the front.

I am sure others will give you links to the many, many threads on this subject including some with directions for finding out if you need a cut out or not. Assuming that your bike fit is right, you might just have to keep trying different styles. I have been fortunate ordering with Terry, TE and Performance to be able to try the saddles for 30 - 90 days and return them if they do not work for me.

All my shorts are Pearl Izuma. I have never felt like the shorts were the issue with me, but others have had better luck with certain styles and brands than others.

Good luck. It is miserable riding on an uncomfortable saddle.

TrekTheKaty
06-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I'd recommend a fit at your LBS, if you haven't done that yet. I love my Brooks saddle--but it's an investment. I also have the shebeest shorts and they are heaven--also not cheap.

ny biker
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I had my saddle lowered a bit this summer and it's more comfortable than ever now. So I agree, a good fitting at an LBS is a first step.

alpinerabbit
06-18-2009, 06:48 AM
SMP, SMP... (does a little jig) - I love the thing.

BleeckerSt_Girl
06-18-2009, 07:41 AM
I'd recommend a fit at your LBS, if you haven't done that yet. I love my Brooks saddle--but it's an investment. I also have the shebeest shorts and they are heaven--also not cheap.

I second all that. :)

latelatebloomer
06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Have you lost weight/gotten leaner recently? I had a similar pain problem (on both my road and spin bikes) cured when I went to the next-size-down shorts. I had slimmed somewhat but thought my shorts were still a good fit - but no. The pain stopped as soon as I tried the smaller size. Good luck!

Loraura
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I second (third?) the bike fit.

I'm still trying to find a heavenly saddle.

I have issues with burning on the soft tissue on 20+ mile rides. The things that have helped me the most are:

1)Get out of the saddle every couple of minutes.
2)Chamois cream on the chamois where it would allign with the area that burns. This is something new I'm trying and so far it seems to reduce the burning. I assume there is friction there, even though I don't notice movement, causing the burning.
3)Tilting the nose of the saddle down a very small amount below level. Just a mm or 2. Not enough to make me slide forward on the saddle, but enough to take a little pressure off the soft tissue areas.

TrekTheKaty
06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
OK, after a particularly uncomfortable 10 mile ride on a friend's mountain bike--I have to ask. Have you measured you sit bones? Are your sit bones on the seat? After toughing it out today on a bike that was too tall and too long for me with no bike shorts (at least I learned to stand and pedal more), I discovered it really was a too-narrow seat. Instead of resting on my sit bones, I was resting on my pubic bone. :mad: Just a thought.

wildeny
06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I sympathize with you. And I fourth the bike fit bit. As well as checking the sit bones.

I'm lucky that I don't have big problems with saddle.

The first one that came with my folding bike was San Marco Island Ponza, with 12.5cm in width and hard surface. I could still ride on it for 60+ km (38+ miles without pain. But this year I replaced it with CHARGE Ladle (Ladies) Saddle (14.8 cm in width). No problem for 100 km (63 miles).

However, the saddle I like most is the one that came with my road bike Fuji Finest RC (15 cm in width). :D It's made by Velo (D2 series).

BTW, I usually wear shorts or tights without chamois.