PDA

View Full Version : wheelsets/handlebars

kenyonchris
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
OK, ya'll, I told you I would barrage you with questions about my current project.
My BEAUTIFUL Colnago frame is sitting, lonely, in my garage. I have decided on a Campy Chorus group, the 2009 11 speed, over spending the $$ on the record. According to most of what I read, the difference is pretty small for someone riding the way I do....I hammer, keep up with the boys, ride aggressively, but am not race worthy. SO, in light of that, any advice on wheelsets? I don't want to break the bank, but I also don't want to put just anything on my nice bike...I'm trying to keep with the spirit of the Italian bike. I need wheels that will perform but still provide a degree of comfort on long rides. I am light (115 lbs) and tend to get blown about especially in a cross wind.
Second question is handlebars. Same story. Since I am small framed, narrow shouldered, I need handlebars that are not too terribly wide or deep in the drop.
Ya'll are the best!

MartianDestiny
06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I can give you the advice I have been given for wheelsets. (I'm also small, 120lbs, and get beat to death in crosswinds).

Go custom.

Pick a decent set of hubs (based on your price range)

Get some nice thin standard (not bladed) spokes and discuss spoke count and lacing with the wheelbuilder (at our weight we simply don't need as many spokes to have a strong reliable wheel as most riders and less spokes=less for wind to catch)

Pick a rim with a shallow profile to the side that also suits your other needs.

Apparently you get a wheel that does what you want for the same $$$ as a fancy prebuilt set that at our weight/height will likely come with compromises. Some people even find the custom stuff cheaper than similarly performing prebuilts. Plus they are easy to maintain if you do break them (no proprietary spokes, hubs, or lacing patterns to deal with).

I'm saving up for a pair for myself now.

Bars I can't really help you with as I actually prefer ones with a decent drop. Most companies make bars in different widths, so you'll first need to determine the width you need (for reference I ride 38's), which you can do by measuring your shoulders (I think it's point to point on the collarbone across the chest). That's just a guideline. By that number I should be riding 36's but I prefer a little wider so I can actually make use of the flat part occasionally.

Many women with smaller hands like the Salsa Poco "short and shallow" bars. Not for me, but may work for you.

SadieKate
06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
A number of us are quite happy with Velocity rims and White Industries hubs.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=11971&highlight=velocity
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27681&highlight=velocity
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27107&highlight=velocity

I think the critical issue is the low profile rim and the appropriate dble-butted spokes. I finally managed to take my new cross wheels out on a 48 mile groavel road ride, included some long stretches that were very rocky and some babyhead rock gardens in singletrack. The new wheels have Synergy rims which are a lower profile than the old Ritchey Aero rims, a traditional box shape. They rode like better and I arrived home without any hand or shoulders problems whatsoever. Those are the kind of rides where you realize how much the rim shape makes a difference.

If you go too crazy low on spoke count, you can end up having to use heavier rims for strength. Better to use light dble-butted spokes and a low profile rim.

TxDoc
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Going against the 'custom wheel' current here... but since you are building the bike with a Campy group, how about a nice set of Campy wheels? I can highly recommend all the Campy wheelset I have tried. Among the current model, I'd recommend the Shamal ultra titanium 2-way over anything else. They come with carbon hub body and they are an awesome wheelset. If you want to save $$$ any of the Eurus, Scirocco, Vento, Khamsin is an excellent wheelset. If you like colors (black or red) you can get Fulcrum Racing which is made by Campy and is very good quality as well. Given your weight I would not recommend carbon wheels or HED3 or any of those - I'm lightweight like you and have been blown over trying H3's and disc wheel on my ex-boyfriend's bike :eek:
As per handlebars sorry but i am no help: I use carbon 40's with a good reach and a good drop. But I've seen that a lot of people who like short reach/drop and narrow bars use those Salsa poco or the Deda 4 girls. Both too small narrow and short for me...
Good luck with the Colnago, and please please please post pictures :)

indysteel
06-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm in the custom wheel camp, thanks to Sadie Kate, Jobob, et al. I have the Velocity/WI combo. So does my boyfriend. We both love 'em. We took his bike into one of the local bike shops last weekend, and they were DROOLING over the WI hubs.

I, personally, don't like a lot of "bling" on my rims so I like the minimal decals on the Velocity rims. That leaves the emphasis on my frame.

As for bars, it's pretty personal. I have narrow shoulders and wanted a classic bend bar. I originally went with the FSA Wing Pro Compact for my new bike. They just didn't work for my hands. I ended up taking the Deda 4 Girls bars off my Bianchi. There aren't a ton of narrow bars on the market, and it's a little frustrating. Plus, it's sometimes hard to find those that are on the market.

If you do want to try the FSAs though, let me know. I'd like to sell mine.

Becky
06-18-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm in the custom build camp. I have a set of handbuilt CXP33s with Ultegra hubs, and they've been phenomenal.

As for the bars, Specialized makes a very nice short/shallow bar. My new favorite is the Ritchey Biomax that was stock on my new bike. I was prepared to change it out, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it is. Oh, and it does come in a 38 (measured at the top- the ends flare just a little).

ehirsch83
06-18-2009, 04:19 AM
I am a fan of Chris King hubs, if you are going to go custom..
I on the other hand, just got a pair of Williams Cycling 19s and love how they handle and how light they are!(but they are not fancy or flashy).

If I had the money, I would of gone with a set of Zipp 202s(but they are also tubulars and that can be a hassle on the road all of the time).

I have a pair of Mavic Carbones, but they are race wheels only, and I wanted a pair of light and responsive wheels that I could use for training and for crits. I am super happy with my Williams, but again, they don't have the prestige of what you are looking for.

So if you really want to keep up with the bike and theme you have going I would go for a set of 202s or something from Mavic(Kyseriums would be my choice for what you are looking for).

Or look into building up a pair of custom's with Chris King hubs:)

or... Reynolds makes some nice wheels! hmm so many yummy choices out there

tzvia
06-18-2009, 05:11 AM
I had I wanted Chris Kings originally, but settled on White Industries as:
1. They are lighter.
2. They don't take a fancy $$ tool to rebuild (yes I like to fix stuff myself as much as possible.)
3. In chrome they rock.

So I went to Prowheelbuilder.com and had WI hubs, chrome cx-ray spokes and Velocity Aerohead hoops built. The Aeroheads have a bit of an aero profile, but are shallow so they don't catch the wind and come in different colors. I went with 24fr/28rear, alu nipples with rear-drive-brass. Plenty strong and light and at a price that does not break the bank. My dream wheelset is Hed Ardens but it costs almost $400 more than my setup.

I like CF handlebars- (you only live once). My current fave is 3t Ergonova Team, which can be had in 38 (what I am using.) As I have an intense dislike of 'ergo bump' bars, I find the shape to be just right as it has none.

Boy, I can't wait to see the final build!

foothillsbass
06-19-2009, 04:25 AM
kenyonchris,

I just posted a couple of handlebars for sale in the For Sale forum that you might check out. My girlfriend is also getting her new bike fine-tuned, so we're plowing through gear in that quest. She is also in the neighborhood of 115lbs. Both handlebars are Bontragers. She tried the FIT VR model, which is a women's design compact type with short reach and shallow drop. She loves the shape of the bars, because it has a sweeping drop opposed to an anatomical/ergonomical hump. But, she favors a narrower bar and felt the 40cm width was too wide. The other bars are the Race model, which is 38cm width but a more standard reach and drop with an antomical shape.

Anyway, shoot me an email if either of these sound worth trying for you. Good luck!

Jim

kenyonchris
06-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks ya'll! I am taking my Ruby in today to get the bottom bracket overhauled (a few water rides have made it squeak) and am going to look at handlebars while I am there and talk to my LBS. I think I am going to go semi-custom on the wheelset....I do love the Chris King Hubs. Once I get that stuff together, it is just a matter of assembly!

indysteel
06-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Not sure what you mean by "semi-custom," but in any event, be forewarned that CK hubs are really loud. I've heard them described as angry bees. My WI are arguably loud, too, so it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but it's an issue for some. Also note that the lowest drilling they offer is 28 front and rear. At your weight, you could arguably go with a 20 front and 24 rear. IMO.

kenyonchris
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Prowheelbuilder.com offers "semicustom" wheelsets, you put them together online.
My LBS is offering a pretty good deal on a set of Campy hubs, so I may go with that....
I MAY get the Colnago together by my birthday!