PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Replacement?

twin
06-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Has anyone had a shoulder replacement and if so how long before you were able to ride?

Kiwi Stoker
06-17-2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't have a replacement but did have a plate and 11 pins put in (I was too young for a complete replacement).

I managed to get on the windtrainer 2 weeks afterwards- but only for about 5 mins and I held the bars one handed (arm was still in a sling).

4 weeks later I was allowed to take the arm out of the sling but still couldn't put any weight on the arm- still on windtrainer.

6 weeks is considered normal bone healed time.

2 1/2 months I was riding on the back of the tandem. However I could rest my arm by hanging it- I don't steer or brake back there. Was told I should take 6-9 months off the bike (I couldn't do that) so rode the tandem. However was also told absolutely NOT to fall on that shoulder again as it could punch the plate through.

Because of muscle wastage in the arm (it goes so quickly) I didn't ride a single bike until 6 months and that was a flat bar road bike with disc brakes for easy braking. 8 months later I got back on my road bike properly.

The main issue is how fast your bone heals (mine took a total of 6 months to have all the cracks filled in) and how much muscle wastage you get in your arm. Your hands will be weak and will find in hard to squeeze the brakes. BTW I am in my early 30s. I was very surprised how long everything took to heal. I would imagine a shoulder replacement would be a bit faster as you are not trying to knit together a million little pieces of bone but it will take a long time.

So you may want to borrow/buy a windtrainer if you don't have one and maybe look at borrowing/getting out your mountain bike for a while as well until your arm is strong again.

twin
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I will find out surgery is July 28th and I will be getting a new ball not the socket this time.

Kiwi Stoker
07-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Good luck! Let us know how you go. I'm curious as I could possibly have to have a replacement in the future...