PDA

View Full Version : Out of work & cycling

crazycanuck
06-15-2009, 03:58 AM
I noticed a mention of The Death Ride in an article regarding " Funemployment"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,,25635156-26397,00.html

Interesting.

I know that being an unemployed (might have a p/t job to go with my p/t studies :) *fingers crossed*) student allows me to cycle...quite a bit. I seem to have improved my fitness over the last 3 months :o

hilldweller
06-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Me too! And being severely under-employed means I can do group rides on a weekday and learn some skills rather than slogging it out on my own:D:D

On the other hand, there is the mortgage.....:mad: Still, might as well enjoy the extra time while I've got it :)

Biciclista
06-16-2009, 04:48 AM
that's great that you're getting even stronger and healthier, CC.
The fact is, we work too much, that is, we sit at desks in front of computers and the like too much to stay healthy.
Strange world we live in.

arielmoon
06-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Yes, very strange world. Too much emphasis on making money and not enough on good health.

However, we have be able to buy food, fuel, and keep a roof over our heads.

smilingcat
06-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Oh how timely is the article.

Got to admit, I've been working "full time" four 8-hour days per week. Fifth day has been my funemployment day :D :D

I love having the extra day to myself. That extra day is really for ME! Go for a walk. work out in the yard. sit in the yard and read... It's been very rewarding.

As they say, when it rains, it pours. So after this week, I have two whole weeks off from work. No didn't request vacation time. more funemployment time. I think I'll play with some projects I have in mind: build a very powerful solar oven where I can bake bread... build a big parabolic reflector and use an interesting solar collector. And ofcourse biking and tending to my garden. You know, I do have to eat. :D :D :D

how fun is that...

Trek420
06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I rather like this idea. Some non profits have gained as unemployed or "funemployed" use the time to volunteer.

http://taprootfoundation.org/about/nbc_giving_back.php

No reason even that could not be combined with cycling ;)

beccaB
06-17-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm "underemployed" too. I realized that this was a good thing after having chastised (sp?) myself so many times for not living up to my potential. A few of my kids have been going through some rough spots, and it was very good that I had some work hours free to deal with situations that came up. Also, because I have summers off, I was able to train for and complete 2 centuries last season!