PDA

View Full Version : pain under the knee, or Why I Hate Running

lph
06-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I thought I was beginning to not-hate running, but I was wrong. I've started running just a little, to get a little weight-bearing exercise and get my knees and ankles ready for summer holiday and hiking. So 3 weeks ago or so I went for a 40 minute run (jog), mostly on gravel and path but a little on asphalt, and felt a slight pain under my knee afterwards. Figured it was just a slight twinge from the unaccustomed impact. A week later I went for an hours walk/run in the woods anyway, lots of up and down but only soft surface. Now, 2 weeks later, no running and only gentle cycling, I still have this pain under my knee, not extreme but bad enough to make me limp when I've been sitting still. And it will not go away.

It's a very clear sore spot, the width of two fingertips, and it's situated on the front of my shin, an inch below where the kneecap ends. Not swollen that I can see, not mushy or powdery or anything strange.

Is this something you runners can go "Aha! You have XX condition!" about?

Even better, can any of you go "I know just how to cure it!" ?? :D

Selkie
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Could it be shin splints or is it higher up?

If so, ice and rest. Then strengthen your shins and make sure your calves are not tight (can cause shin splints). YOu can do the former by keeping feet flat on the floor and raising your toes up. You will feel it in your shins. Also works with a stability on top of the feet. Sit in a chair, but the ball on your feet, raise your toes up while putting gentle resistance on the ball.

emily_in_nc
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Does this sound like it?

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patelladisorders/a/chondromalacia.htm

Whatever it is, I hope it's all better soon! :(

rocknrollgirl
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
It sounds like you have an issue with your patellar tendon where it inserts on your shin bone. I had a bad case of patellar tendonitis last year and that was one of the places that it hurt.

I hate to say it, but the 40 min run was probably too much to start with. Not that you need to hear that now.

So, if it is an itis, rest, ICE, ICE, ICE and I would probably start thinking about some strengthening exercises. Can you get a script for a few PT sessions?

If not, if you google, you can get the exercises.

Good luck.

OakLeaf
06-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Runner's knee (patellofemoral dysfunction aka chondromalacia) normally presents as pain under the kneecap. (Under as in posterior to, not distal to which is what you're describing.)

I vote for RnR's idea.

lph
06-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks everyone, you always have great advice. Yeah... *sigh*... I know now that running for 40 minutes was too much. But I have lungs like a horse and can ride a bike for hours, so of course I was going to go out and do a "real run"... :o

I'm such an idiot sometimes. On a good note, I went climbing yesterday, my knee hurt a little bit climbing but is better today. I'll go check out some exercises.